Husqvarna 592xp vs 395xp timed cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
592 has a steeper yet narrower power curve, hence it will do a little bit better with shorter bars. If you were running a 60 inch bar all day, I would probably want the 395
lol I dunno about a 60" bar. I'll be running the recommended 36" :D I've decided to go with the tried and proven, the legendary 395xp. As often as I'll bring her out to work, it should be a 90cc that will last me until retirement. I'm not convinced to risk going with an unproven saw. I guess we'll see in 10 years but I can always upgrade latter if I felt such desire. When 395's are no more, that desire to go back from a 592 will at some point in time, require going with used as the only option. Good luck with the 592 guys. I'll see how they're holding up for ya in 10 years. I think I can suffer with standard caps, outboard clutch and rear chain tensioner for the 1-4 times per month she'll see use, within 20 feet of the crane truck and for just 1-3 hours of use each time just to fell and haul off the occasional monster on someones lawn.
I just don't see or perhaps I'm simply not understanding the advantage or the upgrade here, or such upgrades simply don't hold much value and the risk to reward ratio is therefore, far off. When I consider the west coast loggers rave and praise about the 395xp, my lack of experience with a 90cc class saw simply can't risk contradicting that. Topped and confirm showing the two saws side by side, basically appearing to cut at the same speed, or at least close enough for an aborist considering a saw for tree service use.

I figure if I "get it wrong" (based on my research here alone, there's no "wrong" with the 395xp though) then I can always sell and upgrade latter with ease. It wont be so easy at some point in time once the 395 is no longer sold because the 592 will eventually replace it. I actually contemplated the saw though. Unlike the last time, I just grabbed another 372 to replace my 372xpw and I didn't even consider it's eventual replacement. Which of course, I have no regrets with, however, perhaps that's simply because I don't know what I'm missing, either, it could be argued.

I can't help how my poor experience with the 346xp's replacement has gone, has also helped sway this decision, as much as I tried not to let it. I still miss the 346xp and I can't go in and change my mind and buy another new one and send the 550 back. I can however sill buy a 395xp.
That said, I still don't know what auto tune "3.0" is. However, I don't think it matters. I don't think I'm interested enough in finding out right now.

lol I dunno about a 60" bar. I'll be running the recommended 36" :D I've decided to go with the tried and proven, the legendary 395xp. As often as I'll bring her out to work, it should be a 90cc that will last me until retirement. I'm not convinced to risk going with an unproven saw. I guess we'll see in 10 years but I can always upgrade latter if I felt such desire. When 395's are no more, that desire to go back from a 592 will at some point in time, require going with used as the only option. Good luck with the 592 guys. I'll see how they're holding up for ya in 10 years. I think I can suffer with standard caps, outboard clutch and rear chain tensioner for the 1-4 times per month she'll see use, within 20 feet of the crane truck and for just 1-3 hours of use each time just to fell and haul off the occasional monster on someones lawn.
I just don't see or perhaps I'm simply not understanding the advantage or the upgrade here, or such upgrades simply don't hold much value and the risk to reward ratio is therefore, far off. When I consider the west coast loggers rave and praise about the 395xp, my lack of experience with a 90cc class saw simply can't risk contradicting that. Topped and confirm showing the two saws side by side, basically appearing to cut at the same speed, or at least close enough for an aborist considering a saw for tree service use.

I figure if I "get it wrong" (based on my research here alone, there's no "wrong" with the 395xp though) then I can always sell and upgrade latter with ease. It wont be so easy at some point in time once the 395 is no longer sold because the 592 will eventually replace it. I actually contemplated the saw though. Unlike the last time, I just grabbed another 372 to replace my 372xpw and I didn't even consider it's eventual replacement. Which of course, I have no regrets with, however, perhaps that's simply because I don't know what I'm missing, either, it could be argued.

I can't help how my poor experience with the 346xp's replacement has gone, has also helped sway this decision, as much as I tried not to let it. I still miss the 346xp and I can't go in and change my mind and buy another new one and send the 550 back. I can however sill buy a 395xp.
That said, I still don't know what auto tune "3.0" is. However, I don't think it matters. I don't think I'm interested enough in finding out right now.
I think you made the right choice for doing what you’re doing with it

I think the difference in cutting times in the video primarily had to do with the sawyer's technique.
From the average persons perspective though, who will just be picking a saw up to cut some big wood, they just simply cut the same basic speed. Splitting hairs with micro times and such like that isn't any concern with a guy using a saw to make a living. No 1 hp increase, or much faster, upgraded saw has been displayed here, that will make a tree service owner say; oh yeah, I'll have to trade my old 90 cc in for that one, know what I mean? Not that some might, just because they want too. There's nothing wrong with that either. For those of use who are not into exact specs and using stop watches to compare, they're "just the same size or same size power saw" to us. We wont be racing them and a split second doesn't concern us either way, old or new. Weight is of no concern to anyone but a logger either. Us tree service guys back our trucks right up to the monsters, right. Buck 'em up right by the truck and put the saw away, back on the truck within 10 feet of the tree. For the "same basic cutting speed" if you will, I've gotta just go with the proven saw while it's still readily available.

From the average persons perspective though, who will just be picking a saw up to cut some big wood, they just simply cut the same basic speed. Splitting hairs with micro times and such like that isn't any concern with a guy using a saw to make a living. No 1 hp increase, or much faster, upgraded saw has been displayed here, that will make a tree service owner say; oh yeah, I'll have to trade my old 90 cc in for that one, know what I mean? Not that some might, just because they want too. There's nothing wrong with that either. For those of use who are not into exact specs and using stop watches to compare, they're "just the same size or same size power saw" to us. We wont be racing them and a split second doesn't concern us either way, old or new. Weight is of no concern to anyone but a logger either. Us tree service guys back our trucks right up to the monsters, right. Buck 'em up right by the truck and put the saw away, back on the truck within 10 feet of the tree. For the "same basic cutting speed" if you will, I've gotta just go with the proven saw while it's still readily available.
We agree. I just used less words.

The side tensioner, is it integral to the clutch cover or the crankcase?

I think the difference in cutting times in the video primarily had to do with the sawyer's technique.
I disagree with that, I think his technique sucked equally for both saws.
I also think that if the 395 had an 8 pin sprocket it probably would have taken the 592's lunch. But, I hate front tensioners(ask Kevin :laugh: ), I'm a big fan of the husky flippy caps, and I bet the fuel economy of the 592 is way better; taking those things into account the average cut time of the 592 would probably be better.

As @arborist was saying, I think it's a wash if you have a 395, why get the 592 if you don't run it that much. For me the difference in the 550mk1(late model) is sufficient enough for me to have an extra sitting around, because it outperforms the 346 by a large amount for jobs. I still enjoy running the 346's and I'd recommend a firewood cutter get a 346 over a 550 if he's only cutting 3-5 cord a yr. When you're making money with a saw it can change how you think about it, similar to needing a service center close to service the saw if you can't, or the weight if you have a bad back; all these are factors that could be put into the equation, and what's important to one person may or may not be to the next.
As I say, what works for one, doesn't always work for everyone.
It's nice to have choices.

Ok, but put it even more simple for me. I don't have the chainsaw guru perspective, if you will. From my perspective, as tree service owner, how will the 592's added 1 hp make me more money than the 395xp older gen 90cc saw with it's proven longevity and reliable record? I don't see it making me more per hour if I can't see it cutting wood any faster.
Basically, from my perspective, I'm just seeing all risk (unproven saw) with no reward (a much faster saw than it's predecessor). Am I missing something?
Yes, no one cares about your/our prospective. EPA mandates probably forced a new model with cleaner burning engine, less tamperable fuel delivery, armed with heavy marketing and some higher prices. Yay!

Back