Husqvarna 66 worth fixin'?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derailedbus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Found an old Husqvarna 66 in dad's garage. I remember it ran strong, but he says it doesn't get spark. It's got good compression and the cylinder looks good looking in from the muffler. It says it's a Yugoslavia model on the plate, but not sure if that means anything. Been looking for the two part coil/module online and it looks like they're about $95 for the pair. Any other suggestions for a better price? I'd hate to buy the parts for that much and still not get it running. Looks like the brake band is cracked in a spot and might need to replace with the entire assembly/cover. Worth exploring further?

Disconnect the switch if you got spark.Stiil no sparks ? Check spark cap if good and wires.Still no sparks after that,most of the time,the large one is the culprit.Dont buy both for nothing.If your brake got brake with a plastic handle,you can get replace the band only.

Some makes an after market one that's worrks well for the $... On ebay

Found an old Husqvarna 66 in dad's garage. I remember it ran strong, but he says it doesn't get spark. It's got good compression and the cylinder looks good looking in from the muffler. It says it's a Yugoslavia model on the plate, but not sure if that means anything. Been looking for the two part coil/module online and it looks like they're about $95 for the pair. Any other suggestions for a better price? I'd hate to buy the parts for that much and still not get it running. Looks like the brake band is cracked in a spot and might need to replace with the entire assembly/cover. Worth exploring further?

It's a fine saw that you can swap a 272 p&c onto if wanted. Iirc, that bumps it up to 72cc and around 5hp.

Joseph

Disconnect the switch if you got spark.Stiil no sparks ? Check spark cap if good and wires.Still no sparks after that,most of the time,the large one is the culprit.Dont buy both for nothing.If your brake got brake with a plastic handle,you can get replace the band only.
So, disconnecting the switch will rule out a bad one? Cap and wires look alright, but it's pretty full of oily sludge everywhere. I guess I'll start with the big one, although that seems to be the more expensive. The Brake band looks to be not easily replaceable. It's the older, metal handle. Any idea what other models might fit?

So, disconnecting the switch will rule out a bad one? Cap and wires look alright, but it's pretty full of oily sludge everywhere. I guess I'll start with the big one, although that seems to be the more expensive. The Brake band looks to be not easily replaceable. It's the older, metal handle. Any idea what other models might fit?
Big one is more expensive,but 9/10 thats the one to replace. With a metal handle,the band is no longer available .Try to get a used latest model from 266,268,272,etc. or even from Jonsered 600 serie.Jonsered one wont cover the handle at the bottom tho.

the 2 piece ignition has wires running along the case between the magneto and the coil. those wires commonly strip their insulation and are then grounded so even with the kill switch disconnected the wire can still be grounded at the case. your best bet is to inspect those wires really well and repair if needed. IIRC they are permanently attached to the magneto. i haven't worked on one of those ignitions in a good 5 years or more though.

Found an old Husqvarna 66 in dad's garage. I remember it ran strong, but he says it doesn't get spark. It's got good compression and the cylinder looks good looking in from the muffler. It says it's a Yugoslavia model on the plate, but not sure if that means anything. .....

The 66 is one of many Husky models that were made at the Tomos factory in Koper, Yugoslavia/Slovenia, after production stopped in Sweden. Could you post the serial number, or a picture of the number tag?

the original part has been replaced by:

HUSQVARNA 501516102

that's the big, primary ignition module. seems to be available. google is your friend. use the string above for your search. or try:

http://www.sawagain.com/husqvarna-266-61-162-ignition-coil-501516102-new/

the 66 is a great saw. i used to have one with a 272 top end. i don't know if the mod added many frijoles but it was a good saw, could pull a 24" bar with ease. i'd stick with the original top end if it's still in good shape. or replace it with a 272 if it needs a new top. you'd still need the two piece ignition system. that's what fits in the case and matches the flywheel. it's a saw that's worthy of resurrection, fer sure. for $100 you could have a really good, pre-epa, 70cc saw. and you'll feel like a wizard when you're done.

So I cleaned it up a bit and checked all the connections. I now have spark when the plug is pulled but it's apparently not firing when it's in, is all I can guess? I squirted a little fuel in the cylinder and put the plug in and pulled away. Nothing. Only thing I can thing of is possibly a broken plug wire?

Back