husqvarna 6l big bore cylinder doesn't fit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronie

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I tried to install a big bore kit and the lip on the new cylinder is a little to big to fit in the case. I used the bolts to pull it on down but ended up warping the cylinder, Anyone else ever run into this problem? The saw is one of the older models with the top cover screw in the top of the cylinder head.

Thanks for the advice. That"s what I was going to do if the next one is to large. I was just wondering if it was a common problem on the older 61s

Good move. Sometimes those aftermarket tolerances are a little loose and the compression is not as good as the factory pieces. Do a little muffler work, port work etc and you will probably have as much increase in horse power as what you were after. Do you have access to a lathe?

Your right, it is unreal. There wasn't any cranking the bolts down. It was snug and I used the bolts to pull it the last bit down. No cranking. Why do people like you feel they just have to leave a smart ass comment? I guess I makes you feel big or important.

If you warped the cylinder then you cranked them down. Your the one that
did it not anyone here on this site. I don't feel big or important but on the
other hand i'm not afraid to call a dumb arse a dumb arse.

I put a big bore kit on an older white top 61 and had the same problem. Had to have cases slightly bored for the cylinder to fit into the case.
You could probably use a die grinder on the case to give you the clearance, but I just felt better about it being bored by machine shop.
Could also have a machine shop chuck the cylinder up in a lathe and machine down the OD of the lower cylinder, would just need to take a few thousandths off.

Should I have done it. no, hind sight is 20 20. Do I need a smart ass comment from some ass like you, no. But it's the internet and assholes like you are all over the place.

I put a big bore kit on an older white top 61 and had the same problem. Had to have cases slightly bored for the cylinder to fit into the case.
You could probably use a die grinder on the case to give you the clearance, but I just felt better about it being bored by machine shop.
Could also have a machine shop chuck the cylinder up in a lathe and machine down the OD of the lower cylinder, would just need to take a few thousandths off.

Mine didn't need much taken off. I tighten the bolts with a t-handle and it went on down. But it did make the cylinder at the bottom out of round. I could feeI tighten up a little at the bottom of the stroke. I shouldn't have done it but was in a rush.

Ya know Ronie, Maybe you should absorb some of the info on this site from folks
that have been there done that instead of calling someone who could help a dumb
ass. In all reality you made the big f%$#@ck up and I called you on it so you will
learn.
If it doesn't go together you don't crank down the bolts so to ruin parts and you don't
beat them with a hammer. Find out why it don't fit and fix it.
I don't mean to be a prick but you posted your stupid mistake in an international forum.

Ya know Ronie, Maybe you should absorb some of the info on this site from folks
that have been there done that instead of calling someone who could help a dumb
ass. In all reality you made the big f%$#@ck up and I called you on it so you will
learn.
If it doesn't go together you don't crank down the bolts so to ruin parts and you don't
beat them with a hammer. Find out why it don't fit and fix it.
I don't mean to be a prick but you posted your stupid mistake in an international forum.
Didn’t seem to me you were offering any help. Bad day?

I think Uncle Lee's help was......If it doesn't fit, DON'T get a bigger hammer. Second lesson is don't be in a rush trying to assemble something that has never been assembled before. Especially if using parts from the far east.........another thought......perhaps the OP didn't really warp the cyl......perhaps it came that way.

Hey, I just wanted to give a little updated. I purchased another cylinder today and the lip was also a little to big. So I took a small sandpaper drum on my drill and put it in my vice and took a little bit off the lip and it slipped right in. It was from the same seller so I don't know if its a common problem on the older 61 saws. Also I ordered an intake block from Hutzl and used it when I put the saw back together. To make a long story short the saw wouldn't run and it turned out that the impulse hadn't been drilled out, I ordered 2 of the and they were both like that. So I drilled it out and it's up and running. Another thing I ordered from Hutzl is a top cover, it looks OEM. It even has the Husqvarna symbol on the top and was made in Brazil. To make it work you have to drill and tap a couple of hole and I also took about 3/8 in. off the front so it would fit the lines of the case. Another thing I change was the muffler to the newer style and it fits with the taller top cover but the front brace doesn't fit so I'll have to make one.

Back