Husqvarna Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the wall of the shop, a sign.

DSC_0110.jpg

Nice! I see those old chainsaw signs sold on eBay for a hefty price tag too. Cool stuff.

Stuff like this loosens the same direction as it runs.
Clutch side clockwise. Flywheel, counter clock.

Now that the nut is off how can I pull the flywheel? It seems very thin and the fins stick out awkwardly so I don't think I should pull on the outer edges. Can I remove the starter pawls and use the holes? I circled them in red in the attached pdf, one pawl bolt left in one removed to show what I mean. There are only a couple threads as the flywheel is very thin.

attachment.php

Been a long time since I pulled a flywheel off saw. There's probably a special puller for that, but I would drive a wedge under the wheel and another on the opposite side, then hit the shaft with a brass hammer. Usually pops right off, have done this on old motors in the past.

Someone here with more experience will chime in soon.

65 flywheel

I am mostly worried I will wreck something behind there. I almost wrecked the points on a Pioneer when I pulled the flywheel.

Yes all saws that I know of all crank threads on the clutch side are left hand and all crank threads on the flywheel side are right hand. That makes them both self tightening.:cheers:

With the exception of some Power Products engines. Fly wheel is left hand thread on every one I have delt with.

65 flywheel

According to some photos of flywheels and fans on ebay it looks like the fan is a separate piece from the flywheel (this explains why the fan is so thin). If I wedge behind the fan am I going to break it? Is there a way to remove the fan first then I could easily pull the flywheel...:chainsaw:

According to some photos of flywheels and fans on ebay it looks like the fan is a separate piece from the flywheel (this explains why the fan is so thin). If I wedge behind the fan am I going to break it? Is there a way to remove the fan first then I could easily pull the flywheel...:chainsaw:

I would use wooden wedges and drive them in lightly, tap on the shaft and drive them lightly again. Just go slow and don't force it too much. I've removed alluminun wheels and such this way many times and never broke anything.

Yes but not sure if it is the norm. Almost ruined my first crank shaft due to this.

attachment.php

That picture is a left handed thread If you follow the spiral you can see it loosens by turning clockwise facing it

With the exception of some Power Products engines. Fly wheel is left hand thread on every one I have delt with.

Well there you go!! Learn something new every day!! Is that on the AH-47? Your pic looks like Mono Red. I've not had to take the flywheel off my Mono yet but that sure is good info for when I do. Is the clutch side lefthand on these motors too? Now you got me thinking, I believe when I get to the shop this morning I'll take a close look at my Mono and see if mine is this way.

Well there you go!! Learn something new every day!! Is that on the AH-47? Your pic looks like Mono Red. I've not had to take the flywheel off my Mono yet but that sure is good info for when I do. Is the clutch side lefthand on these motors too? Now you got me thinking, I believe when I get to the shop this morning I'll take a close look at my Mono and see if mine is this way.

Another good question. I cant remember so it must be left hand thread. If it was not then I think it would stick in my head. Yes this one is a mono that I have apart at the moment. Will check later when I have time. 51mm bore I beleive a AH-47.

Well mweba I removed the recoil from my Mono and it is different still!!! My flywheel crank threads are right hand took the nut off just to check. Did the same thing to the clutch side and they were right hand thread as well!!! No lef hand theads on my Mono at all!!! WTH!!!!!:cheers:

The plot thickens! I will have to watch myself on the clutch side as well. Just a thought, is the crank tapered on both sides? Meaning is my crank in backwards?

What is a Mono?
Cool looking saws ofcourse.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=30680&highlight=mono+chainsaw

The plot thickens! I will have to watch myself on the clutch side as well. Just a thought, is the crank tapered on both sides? Meaning is my crank in backwards?

Cool looking saws ofcourse.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=30680&highlight=mono+chainsaw

Well that is exactly what I was thinking, but on mine both sides are right hand threads so even if that were the case it wouldn't matter which way the crank was in.???? Perhaps the acceleration rates and working rpm of these old motors was so slow they didn't require selftightening threads.

Brian the Mono is a brand of saw among others that used the AH-47 motor.

I saw the pictures in that link. It is a cool looking saw. The little tire repair place near me has a few old saws hanging up in the rafters that look similar. I will have to pay closer attention next time I am in there.

Husqvarna 65

I still can't get the flywheel off the 65. There is no place to wedge behind the fan. I think I am going to have to find the right metric thread size and bolt the universal puller on that I have and bolt it on to the small holes that hold the dawgs on. The only other option is to pry on the fan blades but that just seems wrong...

Back