Husqvarna model so new even the company doesn't know about it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curveball

Reaction score
Lowe's has a "Husqvarna 450 Rancher" with a 20" bar now.

Please note what I wrote: a 450 RANCHER , apparently a new sibling to the 455 Rancher.

I have been unable to find it on Husqvarna's web site. I have called customer service twice to ask how it differs from the 455 Rancher other than the engine being approximately 10% smaller, and both times the service reps put me on hold for about four minutes only to come back and say they don't know. That was yesterday. They're supposed to get back to me by phone or email.

I had gone to Lowe's expecting to buy the 455 Rancher but they had none in stock. I saw the 450 Rancher (20" bar) and asked the Lowe's guys about the differences. They could only do what I did: look at the engine size listed on the box and see that it's smaller. That's the sum of our collective knowledge.

Most significant as far as my curiosity is concerned: Lowe's put the identical price on the 455 Rancher and the 450 Rancher. So I expected someone at Husqvarna to tell me about all kinds of improvements etc. I did not expect them to have no idea about their own product -- even its existence -- at least so far.

Anyone here know about this product?

The 450 is a smaller and lighter saw than the 455, and a newer design. Both are plastic cased consumer saws though, the "Rancher" designation is just maketing, and not used on all markets and/or at all time.

That does not answer my question, but rather repeats it

The link you provide is to a NON-RANCHER 450. You link to a plain vanilla 450. That's the problem I have brought up. Husqvarna can't explain, and you didn't, either.

Here is the LOWE's link to the 450 RANCHER (repeat RANCHER/RANCHER/RANCHER) they're selling. Notice that the bar has big letters saying "FARM TOUGH", as in RANCHER. (The one in your link simply says "HUSQVARNA."

Shop Husqvarna 50.2cc 2-Cycle 20-in Gas Chain Saw at Lowes.com

Anyone here have an answer to my detailed query?

looking for useful information

The 450 is a smaller and lighter saw than the 455, and a newer design. Both are plastic cased consumer saws though, the "Rancher" designation is just maketing, and not used on all markets and/or at all time.

"Newer design"...is encouraging, but doesn't say much.

??? Where/how can I find out what is different/better about this new 450 Rancher (20" bar) compared to the 455 or the 450 non-Rancher that someone linked in another response here? (I'm beginning to think that, at this point, the answer is nowhere to be found.....which is not a good selling point for Husqvarna.)

I already know, and wrote in my original post, that it is smaller and thus surely lighter. I'm looking for the significant details about the differences concerning a product that Husqvarna customer service reps don't even know exists.

While, astoundingly, Husqvarna itself does not have this new model on its own web site, Lowe's does:

Perhaps this model is sold only through Lowe's. OK. But it would be nice if Husqvarna would tell the Lowe's sales reps what's up with it.

Lowe's has a "Husqvarna 450 Rancher" with a 20" bar now.

Please note what I wrote: a 450 RANCHER , apparently a new sibling to the 455 Rancher.

I have been unable to find it on Husqvarna's web site. I have called customer service twice to ask how it differs from the 455 Rancher other than the engine being approximately 10% smaller, and both times the service reps put me on hold for about four minutes only to come back and say they don't know. That was yesterday. They're supposed to get back to me by phone or email.

I had gone to Lowe's expecting to buy the 455 Rancher but they had none in stock. I saw the 450 Rancher (20" bar) and asked the Lowe's guys about the differences. They could only do what I did: look at the engine size listed on the box and see that it's smaller. That's the sum of our collective knowledge.

Most significant as far as my curiosity is concerned: Lowe's put the identical price on the 455 Rancher and the 450 Rancher. So I expected someone at Husqvarna to tell me about all kinds of improvements etc. I did not expect them to have no idea about their own product -- even its existence -- at least so far.

Anyone here know about this product?

Web IT and CS depts. must really suck!

Rancher 450

I own the 450 rancher and my uncle does too. Both of us say the same thing it's the best chainsaw we've ever owned. Never dropped 400 bucks on a chainsaw but I have to say it was a wise investment. The one thing I've notice between the 450 and the 455 is that the bar on the 455 is a bigger bar. I've been wanting to see if the two are compatible but haven't yet. Another thing is the 450 doesn't have a oil flow adjuster I'm not sure if the 455 does but I know other husqvarna chainsaws have the adjuster. If you have any other info on I would like to know more about it as well. It's a beast ass chainsaw though!!!

The link you provide is to a NON-RANCHER 450. You link to a plain vanilla 450. That's the problem I have brought up. Husqvarna can't explain, and you didn't, either.

Here is the LOWE's link to the 450 RANCHER (repeat RANCHER/RANCHER/RANCHER) they're selling. Notice that the bar has big letters saying "FARM TOUGH", as in RANCHER. (The one in your link simply says "HUSQVARNA."

Anyone here have an answer to my detailed query?

'rancher' is just a marketing tag they add on certain models. Same as the Stihl 'farmboss' lingo. It's just a decal. Same saw as the regular models. Some markets get the decal, some don't. It really means nothing.

450 Rancher with no oil adjustment? Sounds to me like a PP5020 wearing Husky plastics. Probably the same mechanicals, just different plastics/color....

i can hook you up with a new redmax g5300 which is the same saw as the husky 353. for a better price than the rancher.

Husqvarna really drops the ball on their USA website.

I can't directly compare 'homeowner' and 'pro' saws, such as if I want to make a value judgement between similarly sized models, compare power to weight ratios, etc..

For the 450 series they also list a 450e-series and a 450 Rancher. The Rancher model is $40 more but lacks the 'smart-start' feature, has a smaller oil pump capacity, slightly different chain speed, and lists lower vibration an sound levels (?). Are all these differences correct or just error(s)? There must be something different in the 'Rancher' model to justify the 10 percent price jump.

Hard to know as so many of the cells are empty in their comparison matrices:
(homeowner) Chainsaws - Compare and review Husqvarna gas and electric chainsaw specs | Husqvarna
(pro) Professional Chainsaws - Chainsaw comparison chart | Husqvarna

For the 440, they list the displacement at 670.23cc and the bar gauge as 50 inches. This is just sloppy proofreading, or people who don't care.

Combined with the OP's experience, this is a poor reflection on their end-user customer sales support.

Philbert

Last edited:
Husqvarna really drops the ball on their USA website.

I can't directly compare 'homeowner' and 'pro' saws, such as if I want to make a value judgement between similarly sized models, compare power to weight ratios, etc..

For the 450 series they also list a 450e-series and a 450 Rancher. The Rancher model is $40 more but lacks the 'smart-start' feature, has a smaller oil pump capacity, slightly different chain speed, and lists lower vibration an sound levels (?). Are all these differences correct or just error(s)? There must be something different in the 'Rancher' model to justify the 10 percent price jump.

Hard to know as so many of the cells are empty in their comparison matrices:
(homeowner) Chainsaws - Compare and review Husqvarna gas and electric chainsaw specs | Husqvarna
(pro) Professional Chainsaws - Chainsaw comparison chart | Husqvarna

For the 440, they list the displacement at 670.23cc and the bar gauge as 50 inches. This is just sloppy proofreading, or people who don't care.

Combined with the OP's experience, this is a poor reflection on their end-user customer sales support.

Philbert
670.23cc?? Is that the new Rotax 670 powered 240 factory hotsaw?
Like back in the old hot rodding days, the GM RPO codes...

Sounds to me that you are creating a problem and asking questions that you allready know the answer too. Buy it or don't!! Run it and tell us how you like it.

I'm not sure about what the writing on the bar means, or the writing on the box says, but its probably pretty much a Husky 350 with a few modern upgrades. My guess is its a pretty decent machine, reguardless of what some girl at the answering service tells you. A few clicks of the mouse on Google should save you some headaches about trying to figure out this conundrum.

Who really cares about plastic cased saws like that anyway - I surely don't! :givebeer:

i agree sawtroll. if anybody ever saw me with a saw like that you would know that i got it free and it will be sold to whoever gives me the first offer. quite possible may even get given away. well i suppose there's a chance it may even become a mod guinea pig.

Who really cares about plastic cased saws like that anyway - I surely don't! :givebeer:

Took the words right outta my mouth.

if anybody ever saw me with a saw like that you would know that i got it free . . .

You guys all know the answer to that question before you even posted. Lots of folks don't need a 'pro' saw, and lots of firewood has been cut with 'homeowner' saws. Some guys don't have the money to sink into a more expensive saw, and these may be an upgrade for them over a $120 Sears saw. Some of these last users 10+ years with a sharp chain and fresh gas.

SawTroll, I even recall you recommending some of these orange saws over other 'homeowner' saws in other threads!

Philbert

i agree sawtroll. if anybody ever saw me with a saw like that you would know that i got it free and it will be sold to whoever gives me the first offer. quite possible may even get given away. well i suppose there's a chance it may even become a mod guinea pig.

I see you have one of those high quality Earthquakes in your signature. Did you buy that one for your dog?

Back