Husqvarna to manufacture chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious, why don't you want to see it sold in big box stores if the consumer grade Huskies are sold there? Seems like it would be foolish to not sell chain where you sell your saws. Homeowners go through a lot of chain since many don't/can't sharpen it themselves.

Any good chain would be yellow and I could see alot of idiots getting hurt with kickback. Then lawsuits. Then they stop making chain. Then it all falls apart..... lol

My experience tells me that MOST of the first-time saw buyers I know, that are ignorant homeowners, bought their saw at a big box. Got no training for lack of a good dealer, and have nowhere to take it for support. I just see this happening: "Oh, yellow chain, that must cut faster. I'll try that." Kickback, blood, lawsuit. haha

My experience tells me that MOST of the first-time saw buyers I know, that are ignorant homeowners, bought their saw at a big box. Got no training for lack of a good dealer, and have nowhere to take it for support. I just see this happening: "Oh, yellow chain, that must cut faster. I'll try that." Kickback, blood, lawsuit. haha

Well one thing I will agree with is many homeowners have no idea the difference between safety and non safety chain, consequently cutting speed and efficiency really don't matter to this market segment either.

Any good chain would be yellow and I could see alot of idiots getting hurt with kickback. Then lawsuits. Then they stop making chain. Then it all falls apart..... lol

To me the word ignorant means being sure, confident, insistant about an incorrect assertion. I seem to see the the way things going more like acting like not knowing anything asking so many questions that someone else around ends up doing the actual work.

Has anyone got a good link to how the cutters are made?
If You've been around and worked any general or "job shop" machine shops
and a few screw machines and punch presses,
the rest of the chain is pretty self evident as to it's fabrication.
some of the cutters have a thicker area inside the corner where top of the cutter
meets the side.
the tighter radious (corner to most folks ) on the outside
compared to the larger one on the inside , seems a bit reminiscent of a piece of angle iron.
that makes me wonder if the cutters are from a rolled form like angle or channel iron
and then punched/stamped off of that stock then on to the hole punching
and grinding steps.
whereas some cutters are of a consistent thickness throughout the part
and look like a stamping from perhaps coil stock.
But i realize that stampnig could form that thicker corner and dual radius.
Just a matter of die shapes and press tonnage.
http://www.treecaretrainingservices.co.uk/images/CutterProfiles_000.jpg
In this illustration the 1st and 2nd profiles from the right are of a different thickness
in the corners of the cutting areas.
You can see a tapered thickness in the top plate of the 1st one.
the 4th or left one has more pronounced taper too
the second and third one has a definite look of being pressed.
The inside corner is tight and the outside has that sweeping curve.
They all depict some taper in the top plate but the difference between
the first and third ones is pretty big.
and forgive my lack of stamping vernacular, I had very limited time actually around the presses
and shears.
just small job shop things or maybe a brief spell of helping the REAL brake operator handle a few large sheets.
plus it's been over twenty years since.

If You've been around and worked any general or "job shop" machine shops
and a few screw machines and punch presses, the rest of the chain is pretty self evident as to it's fabrication.

I think 'anyone' can form and assemble metal into the shape of a chain. Look at early saws going back 100 years with the fabrication tools of that time. There are guys on this site with the skills to make chain in their home shops, or at least at their day jobs. I am sure that there are several 'third party' companies making saw chain overseas.

But quality control and consistency are trickier. Even starting with the same alloys, the way that it is formed, heat treated, etc., can have big impacts on the metal's final structure and product performance. These parts are subjected to enormous tension, shock, and heat stresses, and failure is a major safety issue. They have to be made and assembled in quantities of millions of pieces with this consistency, at with an efficiency that lets the company sell it at a competitive price and make a profit.

Look at all the comments on this site comparing small differences and preferences between different brands of main line chain, and you can see what a new product line has to face.

Husqvarna is a huge company, with lots of manufacturing expertise, resources, and experience in this field. I am sure that they have the technical ability to do this. The interesting questions will be if they think that they have something new or unique to offer; if they can achieve the efficiencies needed to pay off their investment; and if we see any market responses from STIHL, Oregon, Carlton, etc.

We might all win as consumers.

Philbert

But quality control and consistency are trickier. Even starting with the same alloys, the way that it is formed, heat treated, etc., can have big impacts on the metal's final structure and product performance. These parts are subjected to enormous tension, shock, and heat stresses, and failure is a major safety issue. They have to be made and assembled in quantities of millions of pieces with this consistency, at with an efficiency that lets the company sell it at a competitive price and make a profit.

Philbert

I agree

If I can get enough decent pics, I may get brave enough to start a thread
about my adventures with this.
I just thought it was kind of neat to get a close look at the chain, so hopefully others also might.
And before anyone asks, that was NOT my rivet work, But I did shoot the photo.

Where'd the member ( can't recall whom) go who was posting those wicked crisp
shots in that chain filing guide thread ??

interesting... My pic was reduced by the software. haven't had that happen before. What did I fumble?

Attachments

• IMG_0013 c 1 a p.JPG
    IMG_0013 c 1 a p.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 38
And before anyone asks, that was NOT my rivet work, But I did shoot the photo.

What are we looking at? The bad rivet work, the wavy, unfinished edges? Something else?

I went down and looked at some chains: both the Oregon and STIHL samples were very smooth along the edges. The Tri-Link loop was rougher, but not anywhere near as rough as in your photo.

Philbert

The rivet job was what inspired my camera efforts. Just thought the textures from the manufacturing processes looked interesting and I've enjoyed other peoples photos here.
Turned off my color management & tried another pic post and I can see the 800 pixel limit now.
With my normal color settings in my browser, that gray text was lost.
I also wish the "like" button wasn't stuck in with all the vanity crap that I have blocked.
would be nice if I could use it occasionally, But I'm simply not going to enable all that other duff to use it.

Attachments

• IMG_0029 c 1 a p.JPG
    IMG_0029 c 1 a p.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 34
here's a section trimmed to 800x600 .you may be able to see what I was trying to capture.
That's at the cameras limits. when i pinch the aperture to get more depth of field, I lose sharpness.
The ISO is already as low as it goes to help reduce the graininess.
If I can improve my lighting I'll be happier with my efforts.
Just gotta work within my budget is all.

I'm looking as I preview and that size limit text just doesn't show up with the background color overridden in my browser.

Attachments

• Trimmed IMG_0013 c 1 a p.jpg
    Trimmed IMG_0013 c 1 a p.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 28
The rivet job was what inspired my camera efforts. Just thought the textures from the manufacturing processes looked interesting and I've enjoyed other peoples photos here.
Turned off my color management & tried another pic post and I can see the 800 pixel limit now.
With my normal color settings in my browser, that gray text was lost.
I also wish the "like" button wasn't stuck in with all the vanity crap that I have blocked.
would be nice if I could use it occasionally, But I'm simply not going to enable all that other duff to use it.

With scripting all the way off, I see avatars, can use the thumbs up or down, but that's it, nice and clean. No ten mile long sigs, no weirdo post editor. that's Noscript. Plus Ghostery to nullify trackers. Now I have to search the number string to see the youtube vids, but I want to download them, not try to run them embedded. Bandwith/speed issues, bad, doesn't work embedded and want full screen anyway. Download then view, works great.

I don't mind the automatic pic resizing though, like it actually, multi meg pics are OK, but dang, they make page load times horrendous, and puts a significant cost on their server, and would eat up limited costly bandwith for a lot of rural people real fast. .

Look at all the comments on this site comparing small differences and preferences between different brands of main line chain, and you can see what a new product line has to face.

Husqvarna is a huge company, with lots of manufacturing expertise, resources, and experience in this field. I am sure that they have the technical ability to do this. The interesting questions will be if they think that they have something new or unique to offer; if they can achieve the efficiencies needed to pay off their investment; and if we see any market responses from STIHL, Oregon, Carlton, etc.

Philbert

Yes, yes and yes! :D

....but we don't know what Huskys ambitions are....

Yes , the same one.

That's amazing. I don't see those rough edges at all the second photo, and don't see it on the chains I have (drafting type magnifying lamp). Wonder if there are differences between factories, or chain types (different dies). Those edges don't do the cutting, but they ride on the rails. Love to see what STIHL and Tri-Link edges look like for comparison!

....but we don't know what Huskys ambitions are....

Maybe they are just bluffing to get a better deal from Blount?

Philbert

Latest posts

Back