Huztl MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unrelated but I tore my 04' MS 460 down at work today. What better way to work on a Sunday. You building one and I'm tearing one down. I'm getting ready to port it. My squish is .025 so I'm thinking about milling .005 off the cylinder so I can keep my stock gasket. If any one has any more tips I would like to know. That's my 064 I want to do more with a degree wheel and more porting once I read up more.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    792.5 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    816.5 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    664.6 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    941.2 KB · Views: 136
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    907.6 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 135
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 136
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 129
...tomorrow i am going to use the heat method in my oven and see if i can push it on and finish with pulling with the screws.
Are you using a convection oven? If not, you may blister the finish on your cases. Been there done that. That's why most of us use a localized heat source.

Also, I see no reason to freeze the bearings. Not only is it not necessary, but you'll end up with moisture on the bearings.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel here. There are plenty of threads here of how to do this. It's not that hard.

You saved me from disaster.

Are you using a convection oven? If not, you may blister the finish on your cases. Been there done that. That's why most of us use a localized heat source.

Also, I see no reason to freeze the bearings. Not only is it not necessary, but you'll end up with moisture on the bearings.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel here. There are plenty of threads here of how to do this. It's not that hard.

Some of you may gasp, but I actually use a small torch to heat the case. I keep it moving in circles around the bearing pocket about 10 times. I wait a bit for that to heat soak and do it another 10 times. If done right you will not burn the finish and the bearing will literally fall in. I then hit it with compressed air to cool it off and lock it in. Obviously there's risk here for getting it too hot. Try at your own risk.

My morning was productive, I got in the car and set out to find a man with a press that would solve my problem. I stopped at the first hole in the wall car repair shop I came across and walked in empty handed and told the guy I was working on a first timer project and needed to press together a chainsaw crankcase, he got out of his chair.

I knew I had him hooked, he was interested and I asked if I could show him what I was talking about he was out the door before I was and we walked to my car. I showed him and he got excited. something about this appeals to guys, doesn't it? So anyway I actually tore the gasket pulling it out of the box he said get another gasket come back monday I would love to help you. I will put a big socket here and and one here to support it, and press it together for you, that was music to my ears. lol I will go see the stihl man about the two parts later today.

I stopped by harbor freight to look at presses, they have a 6 ton benchtop to for 70$, then a 12 and a 20. Small one might be worth it if you do 2 or 3 of these saws. I would never use it for anything else. We have certainly explored some options on this point here.

Some of you may gasp, but I actually use a small torch to heat the case. I keep it moving in circles around the bearing pocket about 10 times. I wait a bit for that to heat soak and do it another 10 times. If done right you will not burn the finish and the bearing will literally fall in. I then hit it with compressed air to cool it off and lock it in. Obviously there's risk here for getting it too hot. Try at your own risk.

You can also use a heat gun with no fear of damaging the finish.

Used a heat gun and a non contact thermometer. Used and still do an old hot plate with the same thermometer. ...even for chits and grins used the top of my wood stove! (And thermometer ) and I have used a freezer. ..a little frost won't hurt anything and with a heat gun things dry up quick. It's about the physics. Many ways to get there..;)

Those non-contact thermometers are game changers in a number of different ways. Obviously I've not used them on chainsaws but on woodworking machinery I've used them to accurately identify failing bearings prior to them exhibiting any other indicators of pending failure and on a jeep I diagnosed an undersized power steering pump etc. They take an element of guesswork out of the equation.

Just a note on the carby's, I had one that did not idle well or adjust well, and found that the throttle plate was not centered properly. Back off idle adjusting screw to allow throttle plate to contact the carby walls, loosen screw a small amount, then hold throttle closed, couple of light taps on throttle plate with screwdriver end, then tighten screw whilst holding light pressure on throttle arm in closed direction. Bingo! all was well :)

Just a note on the carby's, I had one that did not idle well or adjust well, and found that the throttle plate was not centered properly. Back off idle adjusting screw to allow throttle plate to contact the carby walls, loosen screw a small amount, then hold throttle closed, couple of light taps on throttle plate with screwdriver end, then tighten screw whilst holding light pressure on throttle arm in closed direction. Bingo! all was well :)

You know I've had a couple that didn't idle well and NEVER even thought to look inside. Thank you for a path and strategy to consider.

Anybody ever take a look at those rubber piece's I marked with paper numbers?
5- coil wire grommet through case near flywheel
6- rubber for l/h/s of chain brake lever
10-coil wire grommet in plastic handle section
11- oil pump rubber- rear
8- chain brake spring cover/damper - big spring
12 throttle linkage boot - in handle section
9 - ????
4 - decomp rubber seal
3 - rubber limiter around front/right AV mount?

There are some duplicate rubber pieces in the kit. I'll post a pic later tonight to show what's leftover.

Here are the leftovers:

Attachments

• 20160919_213612.jpg
    20160919_213612.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
It's all done but lighting it up and tuning. I won't start on that till tomorrow night and depending on what time I get home from work it may have to wait longer.

Every single part was there up until the bucking spikes, then they were 2 fasteners & 3 nylock nuts short, they included enough to mount the inside spike and nothing the mount the outside spike and chain catcher. All in all I'd say it's an outstandingly complete kit.

Here are some pics, including all of the tools used in the assembly.

The most difficult part of this was getting the order of assembly correct. I had to backtrack several times, fortunately they were minor but definitely a slow down. I figure I can cut the time to assemble in half for the next one. I'm right at about 4 hours total work time, not inclusive of research time and general contemplation.

Attachments

• 20160919_213305.jpg
    20160919_213305.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 170
  • 20160919_213319.jpg
    20160919_213319.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 163
  • 20160919_213916.jpg
    20160919_213916.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 163
  • 20160919_214052.jpg
    20160919_214052.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 166
  • 20160919_214104.jpg
    20160919_214104.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 155
Well, it's been 17 days since I placed my order and it's still in a 'Pending' state. I've used their Contact Us page 3 times and sent an email to all 3 relevant email address I could find on Google. They haven't replied to a single contact attempt, so i have finally given up and submitted a dispute on PayPal.

I really don't get why they're blowing me off. I just want to receive the darn saw :/

Assuming the dispute goes through, I'm contemplating submitting another order attempt to see if I have better luck. What are your guy's thoughts? Alternatively, i would have to spend 500-600 to buy a pre-built knock off or a 10 year old 066. .. I really was excited about building one from a box of parts though. :(

I have a similar situation. I ordered on 9/6 and received an order confirmation and nothing since then. I have emailed a couple of different addresses four times with no responses. I have not tried emailing their Ebay store yet. When I click on the link from the order confirmation, it says order not found.
I expected to have to wait weeks for delivery but I'm not sure that my order and payment ever went to huztl. The order confirmation came from kancart.com which I think is a mobile payment site. The payment from PayPal went to [email protected] (net?). I'm thinking of waiting until the end of the week before I dispute.

Well here's an update on my 660 kit.
I don't have one. Huztl got back to me once and said they will track down my shipment or send out a new one and I haven't heard anything since then.......

Wow, i got a quick reply from the paypal dispute:

Dear Sir,

Sorry for the problem!

You can contact us in this email address, [email protected].

Recently our system has a little problem when updating the tracking info online. Usually the tracking number will be automatically uploaded to the website after we shipped out the parcel.

We have already shipped out your items. The tracking # is 664224277417 and carrier is SF-express.

The actual delivery courier will be UPS in your country.

The parcel had been shipped to US in Sep 18th. So we think you will receive the parcel in next 2-4 days.
Hope you can kindly wait a few days to get it.

Sorry for any inconvenience!
Thank you for understanding and patience!

Regards,
Sara from huztl.

Latest posts

Back