Huztl MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@trboxman "Every single part was there up until the bucking spikes, then they were 2 fasteners & 3 nylock nuts short" I did not catch the spikes. Did yours come with the winter summer shutter?

You're right, no it didn't. Not a big deal for me as I will likely never use it in weather cold enough for it to matter.

It runs!!!

I can't get the bar to mount where it's not easily wiggled, I'm using a 25" bar that I have for my 362. It's a 3/8 .50 Stihl bar so it should work but the bar studs bottom out on the cover before the cover pinches the bar tight to the case. I'll fiddle with that either tomorrow or over the weekend. I don't want to run it above an idle without a bar and chain on it. Took about 8 pulls to fire up, it'll fire right back up while warm but takes about 8 pulls each time cold. Ideas on this? The oil pump definitely works!

It runs!!!

I can't get the bar to mount where it's not easily wiggled, I'm using a 25" bar that I have for my 362. It's a 3/8 .50 Stihl bar so it should work but the bar studs bottom out on the cover before the cover pinches the bar tight to the case. I'll fiddle with that either tomorrow or over the weekend. I don't want to run it above an idle without a bar and chain on it. Took about 8 pulls to fire up, it'll fire right back up while warm but takes about 8 pulls each time cold. Ideas on this? The oil pump definitely works!
What is your plan for break in?

Use it. I've got a full load of logs showing up next week so there will be plenty of bucking/blocking to do. I think I'll order a 20" Total lightweight bar for it...or maybe stick with a 25" Stihl. I don't really know, I didn't need the saw, I wanted the saw, now I've got to figure out what to do with it...

this kit had the short studs if you printed off that paper i posted with build parts for the longer studs has the part numbers, they even have a larger stud in case the hole becomes enlarged. congrats on getting it running.

You know i ordered the stihl install tools as well. I am buying several tools and they should be available in about a week. Never thought i would have made that decision. I can pull them together and crack them open. I have reordered bearings and seals and the gasket and crank and i am going to start from scratch with the case and use the tools to install. no hand wringing is expected this round and i can order as many kits there after as i desire and have fun.

what are the bar specs you are going to use, we have the 3/8 pitch 7t rim system. a lot of the bars i looked at were 8t. wonder what the best gauge is? the large trees i have left to cut are large standing beasts with a few sleeping giants i fell a few months ago. all hardwood, ashe, elm poplar, cedar.

now that you have it uses will find you, like owning a trailer. endless friends, neighbors and don't forget relatives

Use it. I've got a full load of logs showing up next week so there will be plenty of bucking/blocking to do. I think I'll order a 20" Total lightweight bar for it...or maybe stick with a 25" Stihl. I don't really know, I didn't need the saw, I wanted the saw, now I've got to figure out what to do with it...

you have a lot going on when you just fire one up, getting it tuned will solve most of the issues. using a tach in tuning is real important? are you doing the 25:1 for your first tanks?

It runs!!!

guess statistically things might be different on places other than eBay..but Huztl has never failed to produce for me. And I'm usually a skeptic And the one shipping anomaly, they made things work. It did take a while but the parts did land on my door step. It would be suprising to me if two folks out of four had an issue...lol maybe one!

what are the bar specs you are going to use, we have the 3/8 pitch 7t rim system. a lot of the bars i looked at were 8t. wonder what the best gauge is? the large trees i have left to cut are large standing beasts with a few sleeping giants i fell a few months ago. all hardwood, ashe, elm poplar, cedar.

now that you have it uses will find you, like owning a trailer. endless friends, neighbors and don't forget relatives

I've been using Total brand "super" bars or Sugihara's. The Totals are the best bang per buck for me at least here for those Stihl mounts. They are also significantly lighter than the Stihl alternatives. Harder too. And for the big hard wood 7 tooth is best on a 24in br. I have an 8pin on the 20in bar in all those video's with the 20.

It runs!!!

Counter bore the clutch cover slightly on your drill press. I've run into a couple aftermarket covers that needed clearance for the bar stud shoulders. Takes ten minutes.

Counter bore the clutch cover slightly on your drill press. I've run into a couple aftermarket covers that needed clearance for the bar stud shoulders. Takes ten minutes.

That's the plan. I ran out of time last night between getting home at 7:00 spending time with the kids before their bedtime, eating dinner and trying to ensure some modicum of domestic tranquility with the spouse. These studs are taper collar studs vs. the flat collar studs and the collar is longer.

this kit had the short studs if you printed off that paper i posted with build parts for the longer studs has the part numbers, they even have a larger stud in case the hole becomes enlarged. congrats on getting it running.

You know i ordered the stihl install tools as well. I am buying several tools and they should be available in about a week. Never thought i would have made that decision. I can pull them together and crack them open. I have reordered bearings and seals and the gasket and crank and i am going to start from scratch with the case and use the tools to install. no hand wringing is expected this round and i can order as many kits there after as i desire and have fun.

It's not the length of the studs, it's that they're taper studs and the cover appears to be made for the older non taper flat collar studs, the tapers have a greater standoff on a cover that's not counter sunk for the taper on the stud.

Congrats on ordering the tools! Mine should be here this week, now I'll have to wait for another kit to show up before I can put them to use...that shouldn't be more than 3 or 4 weeks. I ordered 6 kits last night before I went to bed.

now that you have it uses will find you, like owning a trailer. endless friends, neighbors and don't forget relatives.

I haven't decided what bar I'm going to go with. I have a Stihl 25" bar that's on my 362 and it's also a 7t 3/8" rim but as I mentioned I'm strongly considering a 20" Total lightweight. I suppose I'll order a couple of 8t rims to play with when I get a new bar.

you have a lot going on when you just fire one up, getting it tuned will solve most of the issues. using a tach in tuning is real important? are you doing the 25:1 for your first tanks?

I have a tach and fiddled with the idle speed to pull it in spec but again didn't want to get too deep into it without getting a bar and chain mounted. Hopefully I'll have time to get to it tonight. I set the L & H screws at baseline for start up. I'm not planning to do anything special for break in other than use the saw. I'm using 50:1 motomix

if anyone should have to remove the gasket after tacking it in place i used some laquer thinner and the yamabond i had used rolled right off. two minutes of contact time and wiped with a paper towels then a good air bath and its clean as a whistle.

Your going to be the best Santa ever when you show up. Lol. Everyone has their Favorite oil but I plan on running mine at 40:1 with stihl ultra. That's in all my saws. Now my FS130 its a 50:1.

I did ask huztl ebay store if they sell complete kits. They said yes. I followed up with how much - waiting for response. This may be another way of ordering these.

i likely will go 40:1 too and its stihl silver all the way for me and in my fs130 its only motomix. string trimmers can be so hateful but motomix cures that. my dealer just replaced its carb but he said its clean just a physical issue with a jet or something

i find that motomix is best for everything, but when i am using a lot of fuel in my saw or my br600 i go with clean gas and sliver oil and when i am close to quitting i empty and run motomix until it quits and stop for the day. nobody will ever tell me i have a dirty carb, ever, or dirty fuel be the cause of a repair. i wish my dealer would carry the gallon.

i asked about the bars, i just found one of the best videos on that subject for the 660. to help out newcomers heres the link. it might help the seasoned as well, its well thought out and demonstrated. the guy spent a fortune to assemble the demonstration.
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...n-stihl-cannon-total-tsumura-sugihara.276353/

what do you mean complete kits? this threads about the complete kits and they do sell about 5 different ones. they do not sell complete assembled saws

I did ask huztl ebay store if they sell complete kits. They said yes. I followed up with how much - waiting for response. This may be another way of ordering these.

It's not the length of the studs, it's that they're taper studs and the cover appears to be made for the older non taper flat collar studs, the tapers have a greater standoff on a cover that's not counter sunk for the taper on the stud.

Congrats on ordering the tools! Mine should be here this week, now I'll have to wait for another kit to show up before I can put them to use...that shouldn't be more than 3 or 4 weeks. I ordered 6 kits last night before I went to bed.

I haven't decided what bar I'm going to go with. I have a Stihl 25" bar that's on my 362 and it's also a 7t 3/8" rim but as I mentioned I'm strongly considering a 20" Total lightweight. I suppose I'll order a couple of 8t rims to play with when I get a new bar.

I have a tach and fiddled with the idle speed to pull it in spec but again didn't want to get too deep into it without getting a bar and chain mounted. Hopefully I'll have time to get to it tonight. I set the L & H screws at baseline for start up. I'm not planning to do anything special for break in other than use the saw. I'm using 50:1 motomix
I was thinking of ordering six more as well. I don't know what I would do with them after they were built.

I ordered the 56mm kit with mine. I'll decide if I build 56mm or 54mm when I get it. I am concerned about the freeport issues with the 56mm that Weimedog discovered.

Latest posts

Back