Hybrid piston Cylinder combo's, anyone tried it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm sure I'll get a list of reasons why not, but for a given cylinder diameter, has anyone tried matching up, say a stihl piston with a husky jug?

Just a question from the inexperienced.

I put an 090 piston in a McCulloch mini-mac once. I had to machine a taper on the piston and install it with a 20 ton hydraulic press. After all that work it wouldn't turn over very well. I've said it before though, I don't really know stuff about things. :dizzy:

Simonizer said:
I've said it before though, I don't really know stuff about things. :dizzy:

Let it gooooooooooo! :laugh:

I know a reputable builder who is using a few Stihl parts in certain Husky saws for one example. Why not?

Russ

Simon,

Quite obviously you really are thicker that you try to make out. Obviously you should have considered thinner rings and have you ever heard of WD40?

Is it any wonder that you've knackered your shoulder!

Dan Forsh said:
I'm sure I'll get a list of reasons why not, but for a given cylinder diameter, has anyone tried matching up, say a stihl piston with a husky jug?

Just a question from the inexperienced.

You'd need a "cascade of miracles", and/or one heck of a machine shop, for eveything to work... But don't underestimate the power of luck....

Simonizer said:
I put an 090 piston in a McCulloch mini-mac once. I had to machine a taper on the piston and install it with a 20 ton hydraulic press. After all that work it wouldn't turn over very well. I've said it before though, I don't really know stuff about things. :dizzy:
thats like trying to fit a 460 V8 into a Nissan sentra 2 dr car.

Assuming the piston from the Stihl going into the Husky was identical to the original one, or at least VERY close to it, identical overall height, wrist pin position, diameter, all that, it just MIGHT work.

we put a 454 in a Nissan pick for the heck of it once
also a 350 in a TR-7 tubbed out
we also built a 460 with a blower in a ford f-150 that own fastest street truck here in Richmond that truck was fast for street legal and pump gas
all it takes is some determination

A lot of determination, and a bit of fab work to make things fit too. try fitting a 460 in a ranger, THAT is tricky.

Lawn Masters said:
A lot of determination, and a bit of fab work to make things fit too. try fitting a 460 in a ranger, THAT is tricky.

Have you done that ? I know how hard it was getting a 351 into a 84 Ranger. My brother had a 84 Ranger with a 351 and 44"' tires. It was a feature article in Off-Road Magazine and was also hilighted in 4 wheeler as well as 4 Wheel and Off Road. The real sad thing is all the action shots in the Off Road feature were shot with the 4 cyl in it. I later put the 4 banger engine in my open wheel modified. It finally ended it's life in a stadium truck.

Bill

If I recall right, the early rangers are common to see somoene stick a 302, or 351 engines into. from what I recall, the 302s at least, are VERY simple, just a different tranny, and new motor mounts, plus exhaust system for the vehicle, and you're going.

I have a 680 solo with a husky 272 piston in it and I know of another 680 solo with a 056 av piston in it Im shure that other saws can interchange you just have to do the homework

Exactly, it's all homework. Some things to be aware of;

Stroke; it's the most important factor when attempting this... at least start off with engineering from the same planet. If you start off with identical stroke you can compare piston orientation. You don't want to violate your squish gap or smack the housing.

Porting don't try and mix piston ported with reed valve delivery.

Size matters KNow your lower end. Will it support the dynamics of this new jug? I play with the homies cause I'm a poor homie. A wonderful candidate for this is the xl-12 because the bottom end is over engineered. Takes the same seal as an sxl925. The 360 would be wonderful for this but it uses piston porting. I have a jug and piston for a xl921 which is 77cc but this has a 1.5" stroke vs the smaller 1.375 of the xl-12. But I also have a model 17 which is 70cc and a matching stroke. Will the cylinder even bolt up? I'll have to buy the xl-12 strip down the model 17 and see. But this is the type of effort to expect.

Cylinder orientation Welcome to the room of a dozen doors. Staying within the same manufacturer is helpful for success. Stop trying to breed cats with dogs OK? This is a ballancing act of clearance and timing. While maintaining the propper squish gap make sure your exhaust opens a period of time before the intake is released by the transfer. This is known as scavenging. This is a new world for any old school saw. There is a thin line between success and a pile of worthless dark oily objects. But if I were to play with this, I would be after a significant performance upgrade to justify the risk.

I know of a Husky that is half stihl.... or was it a stihl that was half husky.....or a dolmar that was mostly Makita????? awww who knows....

jokers said:
Let it gooooooooooo! :laugh:

I know a reputable builder who is using a few Stihl parts in certain Husky saws for one example. Why not?

Russ
I've got a husky with a stihl rod in it, maybe that is why it's so slow :p

Back