hydralic oil for splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.E. Metal Werx

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
im just about done with my splitter and ready for oil... but i have seen all different kinds and mixes and weight.. 15 is what i have seen the most... help a guy out here. thanks

in the day, farm and fleet would sell "hydraulic fluid" but I'm pretty sure that's changed since.

you know,the store brand. The 2 gallon jug.

You also did not specify whether or not you have a filter, not that it really matters, but if you are going through the effort to change the oil (fluid) it wouldn't make a lot of sense unless you changed the filter also.

What you want is sold most commonly as A&O hydraulic oil. Should say AW32 somwhere on the jug. Some of the oil sold at Farm/Fleet is Ford spec and thus is AW68, stay away from it, wont hurt the system but you wont be able to start the motor on cold days. Also stay away from the trans/hydraulic oils for the same reason they are too "thick" for your splitter unless you only use it at 70 and above.

This was recommended on another forum by the forum oil expert (tribologist) for a logsplitter used in michigan.
An Anti-wear hydraulic oil is best. For your area, an ISO 32 or an ISO 46 AW oil should work well. Grease the slides with a #1 or softer grease and it should give you many years of service.

Latest posts

Back