Hydraulic fluid for jacks ok to use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHEVYTOWN13

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Can I use hydraulic fluid for jacks on an electric splitter?

I have automatic transmission fluid that the manual says is ok to use, but it's warmer than 40º, so I can't use it.

i've done every mix up you could think of.

trans fluid for power steering
hydraulic oil for power steering
power steering fluid for hydraulic.
used motor oil for hydraulic
trans fluid for hydraulic

my log splitter has a 5gal capacity, it's mixed up with used power steering,proabbly 2 gallons used ATF, gallon of used motor oil, and probably 2 qt's of actual hydraulic fluid.

my other splitter snaps into the system on my front end loader tractor, and seriously that's nothing but used motor oil for the hydraulic system. been using the tractor everyday for 10 years. and i use it heavily, i'm always squealing the relief valve, i think it's a 1800 or 2000psi cutoff. i myself snapped the front axle 3 times, dad has broke it a few times himself....

i do my work in the summer time when it's decent to workoutside with a teeshirt.
7 years on the home made splitter and still working. :)

it's just oil man!! dont let that 40F scare ya.....

Last edited:
why?
jack fluid in small bottles is way expensive here.
It is also thinner viscosity for cold weather use.
I am guessins it is just some ISO 22 hydr fluid instead of 32 or 46 or 68.

It's just oil......

oil is the carrier, the additives are what do the work and make the big differences.
I've seen abotu everything in our hydraulic systems by accident, and the damage that happens. No place for me to try and save pennies.....

Back