I’ve been demolished repeatedly for carelessness in the logging woods.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was this the same guy that posted all those stumps that got worse the closer you looked?
Yup, sadly not surprising given what we saw in that post. Honestly, I would have trouble looking my kids in the eye when I left for work if I was putting myself at that kind of risk daily. Hopefully it hasn't become so "normal" for the OP that he can't see a reason to improve his practices

I didn't see this post this past spring, but I can relate to everything that's been said. I started working construction when I was 16, and worked my way through college doing it. Since then, I've spent the last 25 years working in, on, and with a variety of industrial equipment, most of which can maim or kill you in at least half a dozen different ways. When it comes to dangerous work, or even just industrial equipment, I've met 3 types of people. There's the "Safety is for sissies and OSHA is for idiots" crowd, there is the group that's meticulous about safety, and there's the group that thinks they are meticulous about safety, but aren't because they haven't had or seen an injury or close call yet. I won't work with anyone from the first group. I care too much about them and their family to let them get injured or killed on my watch. For the rest, I assume they are in the last group until they demonstrate otherwise. More than once I've had someone tell me "So and so said that it absolutely has to be done by tomorrow." My normally response is to have them tell "So and so" that I said they are welcome to come and do it themselves if they want it done by tomorrow, but my team doesn't cut corners period.

Don't get me wrong, for the most part safety is an illusion and life is just dangerous by nature. There's a difference between that and being careless or cutting corners. Whether its done out of ignorance, recklessness, or some other reason, the result is often the same. The Lord has a plan for each of us, and knows when he's going to call each person home. What your quality of life is between now and then is largely up to you.

Accidents happen when you cut trees all day 6 days a week I’ll post some pictures of my injuries feel free to share yours fellas or gals whatever.
My friend Wes cut for over 40 years with the usual injuries then started really getting hurt. Told me "Steve, these trees are trying to kill me". Six months later one did.

"stuff happens I tend to be reckless at times"

Stuff doesn't "just happen". Here are two famous quotes everyone reading this should be thinking about when you use a chainsaw.

"Every action has a equal and opposite reaction"

"Every action has a consequence"

Take the "reckless at times" OUT of the equation. Before you make any cut stop and evaluate the situation. Anytime you get a "bad feeling" about something you are about to do follow your gut instincts. They serve you well IF you listen to them...........FWIW......
I’ve seen workers in dangerous professions like heavy construction or farming or logging or whatever display their battle scars like a “badge of honor.” I will never understand that.

Anyone operating chainsaws for a living should not be cutting themselves... Chaps exist. In more than a decade of falling timber professionally, I have never cut myself with a moving chain. Add in the years I spent falling trees by myself as a dumb kid and I guess whatever I'm doing is working. My problem was not looking up enough.
I was once hit in the right leg by a branch that had lodged up during felling, weeks & weeks prior. Stepped over a log & POW! Could I have avoided it?
Yes. I should've been more mindful of the fact that I had fallen timber there previously. & that everywhere trees have fallen through other trees, there could be hazards. The odds of what happened were very low, but it happened. The back of my leg was blue from my butt to my heel. Still have a divet in my quad. I've been out of the woods since assuming the role of caretaker of my late Grandma, but whenever I'm in a forest, I'm looking above me for possible hazards.
The fact of the matter is that men DO retire from a career in timber falling without EVER being injured to the point of needing hospitalization or the rest of the day off. It IS possible. Statistics say that a faller is highly likely to sustain a moderate injury before or at year # 7. The complacency is in full effect, & the experience is lacking.
Be SAFE, look UP!

I agree... branch stuck in the top of a bamboo patch I was cutting down. I was lucky and stupid. Didn't have chaps on, lucky I left off the trigger just as the branch shoved the saw into my leg. Went trough my pants and took a couple layers of skin off my calf. Never made those mistakes again.

Accidents are unplanned adverse events, and likely the result of a part of the cutting/felling plan that was not implemented or otherwise overlooked. For those of us who have been injured, I think we all have replayed the scenario over and over, and could likely identify the reason(s). Fatigue; cut through hinge; PPE not used; chain brake not activated, etc. I’ve had a few injuries, and I know exactly what contributed to them. None have been repeated. I don’t think any of us think we can never be hurt in the woods…I still carry my first response aid kit, phone etc. I try to remain acutely aware, all of the time, of mitigating the risks from very potentially hazardous work.

Latest posts

Back