I’ve been demolished repeatedly for carelessness in the logging woods.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, we are just trying to help. Anytime an injury is posted here, we just try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
I’d love to never get hurt again but I’m in the cutting woods to much and I know it’s a matter of time before something happens I’ve just really learned things the hard way in life.

I’d love to never get hurt again but I’m in the cutting woods to much and I know it’s a matter of time before something happens I’ve just really learned things the hard way in life.
It is not inevitable, proper training can reduce those risks. You are here, sharing your experiences, and part of the brotherhood. We've all been busted up at one time or another, learning this business. Scroll down and see my post "It was a hell of a ride". We are all here with one goal, to share knowledge and experiences to make sure everyone makes it home to our families every night.

It is not inevitable, proper training can reduce those risks. You are here, sharing your experiences, and part of the brotherhood. We've all been busted up at one time or another, learning this business. Scroll down and see my post "It was a hell of a ride". We are all here with one goal, to share knowledge and experiences to make sure everyone makes it home to our families every night.
I hear that. As long as I don’t die or am crippled that would be fine with me I don’t mind a small thing here of there that crushed leg almost killed me I got compartment syndrome and lost a lot of muscle over that injury I almost didn’t walk in to the woods again but here I am at it again took 6 months for me to be able to cut again.

I think I suits me just fine. Nothing I’d rather do more I cut and trim 60 oak a day stuff happens I tend to be reckless at times it’s just me I’m fine I trust in the most high to take me out pretty safe every day.
MAYBE you need to pause, take 10-DEEP BREATHS (O2 to the brain after the climb?), and THINK "SAFETY"?

MAYBE you need to pause, take 10-DEEP BREATHS (O2 to the brain after the climb?), and THINK "SAFETY"?
I for one am not getting down on you. I am just alarmed at how many injuries you've had so quickly. I am impressed that you are making a decent living but one good hit and all of that could be over. I'd like to see you do better and avoid these injuries and keep your farm.

I would hope that you are learning from these experiences and will learn to be successful without these injuries. I think you might want to concentrate on how good you can do your work with as few accidents as possible rather than just taking these kind of hits.

Best wishes to you from here on out.

Trusting in God is one thing, but he'll call you to him one day. Whether that day is sooner or later He leaves up to you!

I couldn't count the various hits I've taken over the years - many a hospital visit, anyway. At least 10 concussions - the first when I was a boy and borrowed my big brother's bike one day... The common factor to all the incidents, though, is being in too much of a hurry to think.

I find that felling a big tree is actually a lot safer than clearing brush, because the sheer size of the job forces you to stop and plan things. A two-inch sapling in a scrub of bramble can stick your saw where you don't want it in a flash.

I was backing away from a tree that was falling on the edge of a field and the saw was running still my heal caught on a green brier and I fell back hand came off my top handle other hand tightened on the trigger it reved I let off as I was falling it skipped across my leg went back to work the next day no biggy
If you are taking more then a couple steps your chain brake shoud be on. Would of prevented that. Have u taken a chainsaw safety course? That is how I learned that and trust me , pay attention to the do' s and don'ts in the chainsaw manuals. They most have good reasoning behind them. I knew manuals said not to use a chainsaw holding it above your shoulders but didn't get the reasoning until i got a cut similar to 1 of yours on my knee. Us being here long as we are wouldn't be possible if not for the most High. Odds are to much stacked up against us. Every where I been and done since being a young man I knew he was with me. If i didn't know that i would of been chicken to do much of what has been the highlights of my life. I do give Him the glory for my comforts, safe keeping , and every thing else.

Getting a “out of network“ 6K ER Bill for 5 stitches on a finger! Is Nuts! That was 10 years ago here in New York. Having a real FIRST AID KIT is paramount, a store bought first aid just doesn’t cut it.

Pusy foot all day and you don’t get anything done and you don’t turn logs out I get hurt I learn my lesson don’t do it again go back to work like a big boy lace up my boots and make enough money to live maybe there’s better jobs ware you live but here it’s a dead end factory job or a saw mill if you don’t have the balls to cut timber. I’m as safe as I can be and I’ve made some mistakes and that’s what the point of this thread was for to ask about it and I’d tell the story. Then if you had something good to say say it but take 10 deep breaths and think safety? Lol **** so I’m a dumbass that enjoys getting hurt every thing that has happened was a freak accident that if I would have done one tiny thing it wouldn’t have happened and hasn’t again.

Getting a “out of network“ 6K ER Bill for 5 stitches on a finger! Is Nuts! That was 10 years ago here in New York. Having a real FIRST AID KIT is paramount, a store bought first aid just doesn’t cut it.
That leg was 250$ at med express 2 years ago cash. Also duck tape and rags drove myself.

If you are taking more then a couple steps your chain brake shoud be on. Would of prevented that. Have u taken a chainsaw safety course? That is how I learned that and trust me , pay attention to the do' s and don'ts in the chainsaw manuals. They most have good reasoning behind them. I knew manuals said not to use a chainsaw holding it above your shoulders but didn't get the reasoning until i got a cut similar to 1 of yours on my knee. Us being here long as we are wouldn't be possible if not for the most High. Odds are to much stacked up against us. Every where I been and done since being a young man I knew he was with me. If i didn't know that i would of been chicken to do much of what has been the highlights of my life. I do give Him the glory for my comforts, safe keeping , and every thing else.
I honestly never brake my saw and I probably should someone gave me my first saw and sent me in to the woods with no instructions and through it all the injuries and split logs and snags I cut everything easy or dangerous I rarely ever get an injury now and I can make a tall or short pine spin on its stump like a top no wedge 180 and drop anywhere I want it. I can thread an oak and put it ware ever I want no one taught me a damn thing I made myself the best with pain blood and sweat and I’m fine with that I’m still here cutting and dragging out 7,8,9 loads a week 96-100 thousand pounds a load my truck driver don’t give a crap it’s over weight either we do as much as we can here and we always will.

"stuff happens I tend to be reckless at times"

Stuff doesn't "just happen". Here are two famous quotes everyone reading this should be thinking about when you use a chainsaw.

"Every action has a equal and opposite reaction"

"Every action has a consequence"

Take the "reckless at times" OUT of the equation. Before you make any cut stop and evaluate the situation. Anytime you get a "bad feeling" about something you are about to do follow your gut instincts. They serve you well IF you listen to them...........FWIW......

Take the "reckless at times" OUT of the equation. Before you make any cut stop and evaluate the situation.
That is 100% how I live,, ZERO recklessness,, period.
If moving too fast for safety is the way to make $$$,, then this is the wrong job.

I work in the woods, often, but as a hobby, there is no room for any hap-hazard actions.
I knew two people that died from such actions,,
one guy was a multi-millionaire in the 1970's,, he tried to cut a dead tree for his daughter, an 8" branch fell and ended him.

He knew better,, even his daughter said so, and she was there when the branch came down.

He had cut hundreds of large trees on his farm,, he knew what to do,,

Nice to hear from ya Cliff R , and you are right. Thee should not be that many accidents at your age. In the 2 posts above, the OP said," 96-100 thousand pounds a load my truck driver dont give a crap if it's over weight".. You are not just putting your life in danger ,You are putting peoples lives in danger. when you are over weight and dont give a crap. When an accident does happen there will be nothing but excuses . I have heard it so many times before. " It was just a few too many " , I was only going 10 over ",,, I was just a little overweight and didn't know the S curve was there"... I dont cut wood for a living, I have however been cutting for 34 yrs. now. I cut my pants just a little one morning cause the saw spun around. That was enough wakeup call for me to up your caution and carefulness. It was on a back road on a Sunday morning and I realized on the way home if I really cut myself , I would have went in shock and likely would have bled to death. Some might say that I dont know cause I am not a pro logger. Ok, fair enough, however, I have been a carpenter now for 41 years. My only injuries were when I fell 10' off a ladder. It only happened cause I was a hot headed 23 yr. old . I landed on my back , on some rocks. My back hurt for 6 months, and it went away ... .. for about 20 yrs. Then it came back. and is arthiritis in my back cause of it. I had some close calls, but I never cut myself one time in 41 yrs. I had a rupture ,,, and likely from being stupid and lifting too much at once. It got fixed 26 yrs. ago and still fine. I had carpol tunnel and got fixed 25 yrs ago and fine, but I only had 1 accident and that was falling off the ladder . As an old 59 yr old carpenter, that has done everything I can say,,, Cliff R is right, you NEED to have that gut feeling, and use your experience to avoid injuries at all costs. If you dont, it will be a death sooner or later. It makes no difference to me if you heed the warnings on this thread except you or your truck driver will also likely tip a load over on the highway and hurt someone that could not avoid the situation . That person will leave loved ones behind. and the sorrow of a paralized wife or kid never goes away and stuck feeding a son or daughter and wiping their buts cause they no longer can does not sit well at all . Today I am not going to church, I am going to bury my brother in law. He was 52, a good carpenter , but alcohol and perscription pain killers was too much . I see this all the time and it can almost always be avoided . This is him building my house 13 yrs ago. He was putting up rafters with the "boomer".

Attachments

• 101_1063.jpg
    101_1063.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
"stuff happens I tend to be reckless at times"

Stuff doesn't "just happen". Here are two famous quotes everyone reading this should be thinking about when you use a chainsaw.

"Every action has a equal and opposite reaction"

"Every action has a consequence"

Take the "reckless at times" OUT of the equation. Before you make any cut stop and evaluate the situation. Anytime you get a "bad feeling" about something you are about to do follow your gut instincts. They serve you well IF you listen to them...........FWIW......
Trust me if I feel bad about something I won’t touch it problem is I rarely feel bad about something that’s the recklessness you hafto be a little reckless to have the guts to do the job flat out if someone wants a safe job to do this is not it

Just scratches. That being said, you do know why this keeps happening to you, right?

You have more scratches from tree work than I have in almost 40 years. I have yet to get any stitches from a chainsaw. That leg looks like you got caught by a bit of carelessness to me.

Now I've broken a few ribs on several occasions, but that was was from testing the equipment as a fall arrest system. Yep. Stopped my fall each time I tried it out.
I'm a retired arborist. I did a lot of very dangerous projects over the years but would not touch them if I could not do them safely.
If you don't have a plan to perform a task safely, you plan to have an "accident" I never fell once. No injuries other than overworking my body.

Back in the day, we called some climbers "lucky climbers" Despite all odds being against them, they survived.
There are a lot of lucky climbers and there are a lot of old climbers. There are no old, lucky climbers.

Just opened this thread, and the original post is empty. Did he scrub his content? Been too busy to spend much time here in recent days, but it seems like things are different in the last few days.

Regardless, anyone who is sustaining repeated injuries in tree work should learn to do it better. I had a few injuries, but they were all from overworked muscles and such. Never had a moving chain touch my flesh in over 50 yrs of cutting trees.

Latest posts

Back