I am never..ever..working on a CS330T again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Talk about an unfortunate series of events. Saw comes in...little hard to start, low use but its older grey housing. Power up top was poor, spitting back out the carb, didnt want to respond to the needles much at all but the carb was perfect. Decided to have a look at the cat and the exhaust port. Soaked both m5 muffler nuts in "knock er loose" and wire wheeled the exposed threads...added a little heat and both nuts galled halfway off...one snapped off. Figured...okay, unfortunate but...i can put in new studs. Heated the head some and grabbed onto the studs. One came out...came out hard but it came out. 2nd one twisted off in the cylinder.

Screw it...put on a sb1085 short block, what a pain in the ass saw to work on. To essentially be the same size and style as the old Homelite XL/XL2...its 5x more complicated to get into. And its 95% Philips head screws[emoji51].

Anyways...it works great now, cat was nasty...and the port was mostly blocked but thats a moot point.

For those unfamiliar...its this model
b364f4eda6e7e03ea239696ac2860f49.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Grey is the color for home center distribution and orange is for dealer distribution, I believe... underneath the models seem to be the same?
I actually do like the little Echos, at least the ones without CAT and EASY START.

Grey is the color for home center distribution and orange is for dealer distribution, I believe... underneath the models seem to be the same?
I actually do like the little Echos, at least the ones without CAT and EASY START.
Grey was pre-line update which was around 2009. They were all Grey for about 10 years then went back orange. Dealer and Box store all comes from the same distributor inventory

Grey were also made by kioritz
Yes...but its misleading to say just that.

Kioritz was Echo. When Kioritz merged with Shindaiwa they consolidated the 3 entities into Yamabiko Corp. Which now makes Echo and Shindaiwa. They still make phenomenal equipment...in many cases even better since the merger. CS330T was a dud...there is a reason why it was a 1 off

Bummer...in hindsight could you have torched or cut the muffler nuts off?
I HATE rusted, stuck hardware. That's why I have a big oxy/acetylene torch, haha
The nuts were a minor inconvenience, the big problems arose once the stud sheared off.

In Japan the grey models used to be retailed through home centers in a distinguishing color design - they even had a second "grey" brand called GREEN for a specific channel - and parts interchange regardless of color/brand. Prices between orange and grey differed, though.
The company was/is called Kyoritsu, the first chainsaw model was the ECHO 80, followed by the ECHO 60, which probably was the reason for the initial brand name ECHO. Thereafter they called themselves KIORITZ (same pronunciation as Kyoritsu in Japanese). They are now part of the Yamabiko group with Kioritz and ECHO still being used as brand names.

If I didnt think I had a chance of getting a nut to loosen, Id try to cut it off the stud without totally wrecking the stud, it can be done. You'd burn the stud a little but if you were careful you could run a die over it and use it. Cut a slot on one side of the nut and hit it with a chisel .
Of course, i haven't done this on a chainsaw muffler either.

If I didnt think I had a chance of getting a nut to loosen, Id try to cut it off the stud without totally wrecking the stud, it can be done. You'd burn the stud a little but if you were careful you could run a die over it and use it. Cut a slot on one side of the nut and hit it with a chisel .
Of course, i haven't done this on a chainsaw muffler either.
You are talking like splitting the nut? Yes that could have been an option. I didnt realize i was in deep crap til it was too late. 16 years...ive never wrung off an exhaust stud or nut.

You are talking like splitting the nut? Yes that could have been an option. I didnt realize i was in deep crap til it was too late. 16 years...ive never wrung off an exhaust stud or nut.

I hear ya, I was mostly thinking a hypothetical could you have done that, not suggesting that's what you should have done .
There is probably no worse feeling than a bolt twisting off.

Back