I beat the piss out of my 30 year old tools and can't believe they break.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourwould

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Replaced the clutch side crank seal on my 630 this morning. About stripped the tiny bolts holding on the oil pump that's been on and off way too many times. Started it up to give it a tune (I've been tuning around the air leak because I'm a jackass) aaaaaaaand CHING CHING CHING CHINGGGG. Looks like the clutch blew apart. I should have known. The last time I had it out on the mini mill it was smoking pretty bad.

Jim, I'm a carpenter not a mechanic! Why can't I just nail it together?

Not sure if I can clock this back or not. Might just rob the clutch and drum off the 288...IMG_20180819_103546.jpg

I'd guess you'll have to unhook spring, then wiggle shoes out of drum, then remove spider. Or an air impact hammer should get spider off. I just had a CS-590 and the spider was on so tight that the spring & shoes blew off when it finally broke free.

Those three center legs or prongs fit into three slots in clutch shoes. Bet you can work them in position without disassemble, just be careful, some of those cast parts break easily.

Look how worn the shoes are on that clutch, this is why the spring broke they are stretching farther than they were intended. You can replace the spring but it will leep happening and at real high speeds you could end up warping the shaft.
I would replace the whole assembly

Look how worn the shoes are on that clutch, this is why the spring broke they are stretching farther than they were intended. You can replace the spring but it will leep happening and at real high speeds you could end up warping the shaft.

Yeah I need to get a new one. It's been slipping bad making rip cuts.

Yeah I need to get a new one. It's been slipping bad making rip cuts.

Sour........those spyders should not ever go out of alignment......they should be aligned and they fit into front and back of the clutch shoe.....that one is broked.....the upside is that is a fine thread clutch.....you can easily upgrade to the 268/272/670 clutch......much betterer unit.....

Actually those shoes aren't that bad......it looks that way just because the shoes are out of place, in between the spyders which allows them to move much further towards the center of the circle than they would if in position properly.

Back