I bought a new Saw!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huskydave

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well after many days researching and reading the wealth of information on this site and visiting my dealers. I bought a brand spanking new husky 372xp Im a new guy on the forum but I am not new to tree cutting. It's a little more saw than I really need but when I was landscaping I used to run an 044 so I didn't want to downgrade i would have bought a stihl but the new dealer charges too much and I don't think he has run a saw in his life. He kept trying to sell me a homeowner saw even after I told him I was a proffessional and I got pissed off. The price diffence was 100 bucks between the two with the husky being cheaper but what sold me was the handles on the husky fell more comfortable in my hands. I got the saw with a husky 20" bar and he threw in a case of oil and a scabbard for free. I only need it for cutting up firewood but I wanted something I could also use for tree removal as well.

The price diffence was 100 bucks between the two with the husky being cheaper but what sold me was the handles on the husky fell more comfortable in my hands.

Reguardless of what some on here may tell you....Operator comfort should be the biggest factor...Welcome to AS

Enjoy the saw

I haven't run a 372 yet, but comfort is not looked at enough. They're both reliable saws, and if your dealer stinks (Stihl), then good for you... (Just to rub it in though, I would go and just buy a gallon of Stihl winter mix bar oil, and nothing else. If he asks, tell him what you bought) But that's just the evil side of me...

Jason

Good choice and congrats! I'm going to buy a 372 as soon as I get the money together. The 372 feels perfect to me, too. The 575 feels heavy and a tad clumsy, can't put my finger on exactly what it is. The 441 is also very good, but I can't justify the extra $200, plus I already have a perfectly good 440. How's that logic for you? Now go cut some wood and give us a report!
Brad

Dave,

Good for you on owning what has become a real classic.

I just bought a 372XP as well. All the Stihl dealer I've used and spent big $ at for years had to do was point at the MS460 and say, "Isn't that a fine saw?" But no, he wouldn't give me the time of day.

After firing up the 372XP, I think he did me a favor.

Safe cutting,

Jack

Way to go. I didn't know dealers were still stocking the 372. I dunno, I think Stihldave has a nice ring to it too.

Good choice and congrats! I'm going to buy a 372 as soon as I get the money together. The 372 feels perfect to me, too. The 575 feels heavy and a tad clumsy, can't put my finger on exactly what it is. The 441 is also very good, but I can't justify the extra $200, plus I already have a perfectly good 440. How's that logic for you? Now go cut some wood and give us a report!
Brad

your certainly right the 575 is too heavy and seems cumbersome the only other saw I would want heavier than the 372xp is an 066 or a 385xp and that would be if I had some big mothers to cut down . I liked the 357xp and it seems to be popular in my neck of the woods. What i did find strange was the 440 stihl does not have heated handles option, you have to buy the 441model I found that strange but than again I think my stihl dealer is on crack

Welcome to the best site for info on saws and life experience.The 372xp was the first saw i bought brand new. Do a muffler mod down the road and you will look for things to cut.....bob

Reguardless of what some on here may tell you....Operator comfort should be the biggest factor...Welcome to AS

I agree 100%. How a saw feels in the hands of the operator is the most important factor there is. I'd personally spend $100 more or less for the saw I liked and felt most comfortable with. Price should not be the deciding factor in something as important as a chainsaw. Good on you HuskyDave for your new saw purchase, glad your happy with what you got. I've got a 371, in pieces at the moment, can't wait to get 'er back together to rip some chips.:rockn:

good luck with your new saw. i went to my local stihl dealer today needed a sprocket for my 260 pro get there and he's not there. asked all the people in the store if someone could help me they said he'll be back monday. how's that for service. i told them to let me go in the back i would show them the part i needed. so i left went to another stihl dealer got the part then went back and told them i got it fixed thanks for all thier help. that really got under their skin. as long as your dealer has parts in stock and a good service team your husky should last you a long time.

yWhat i did find strange was the 440 stihl does not have heated handles option, you have to buy the 441model I found that strange but than again I think my stihl dealer is on crack

Either your dealer is on crack, or it is a regional distribution thing. The MS 440 Arctic is readily available here.

USA: The remaining 440 arctics were all shipped to the eastern USA distribuation before xmas, and the 441 arctics took their place on the west coast. I believe all the 440 arctics are now gone in the USA except for retail shelf units.

Congrats on the new saw. I'm mainly a stihl fan as far as comfort goes, but while I was logging with a local outfit I was using a 372 XP and I absolutely loved it. That was a good choice you made! Enjoy.

Back