I broke tractor...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I got me a spindle fedex a day ago, and the pitman arm turns out to be different than what I have on the tractor. Then the real fun part. The guys in Turkey who made the thing welded the shaft in just about 90 deg out of where the shaft should be set in the spindle. Grumble... since I really wanted to stay with my older steering arm I elected to clean it up and get it ready for the new steering shaft. Upon completion of that task it has become painfully apparent that this assembly is going to go back together with the stick welder. Put it together, line it up, and weld it together... not the right way to do things, I know. It is still "servicable" just requires portaband saw and acetylene torch....

My guess on the missing thermostat was to reduce the consumption of engine oil.... or maybe it was just a cobble for the previous operator to "get by" until...
Okay, let me think here. Is it possible that allowing the engine to reach operating temperature might be better? Could the rings seal better? Or would it start fogging mosquitoes so bad until the plugs fouled in record time? Should I obtain a thermostat and try it?? as it is right now, she warms up to about 110 maybe 120 if I run it real hard.

I will quit trying to see what it can lift. I have before had the rear wheels off the ground and is with the giant concrete weights bolted in the rear wheels.
If it can chug around the yard and move one or two logs at a time that will be sufficient.

I will quit trying to see what it can lift. I have before had the rear wheels off the ground and is with the giant concrete weights bolted in the rear wheels.
When you do that, it is putting all the weight on the front axle. The weight of the load on the loader, plus the whole weight of the tractor and the rear wheel weights. 3 pt ballast is needed my friend, not rear wheel weights .

It is rolling again. I finished moving a small pile of logs today.
The lesson learned the hard way, the hydraulics are capable of lifting more than the front end is capable of carrying. It seems rather amazing that I got this far before I busted it. I really was slamming the thing in Sage draw 3 years ago...

I understand the idea of putting large weight on 3pt hitch, make it so that the rear axle carries a large portion of what is on the loader.
I will "leave it like it is", and just be a little kinder to the machine. The spindle isn't made outta pot metal, but I am asking a bunch out of it.

Assembly was done with a couple sticks of 6011 hot melt glue applied at 110 amps DC-. alignment was performed with the finest precision available, a master mechanic tape measure. it's within 1/4 inch, and tire wear will be dutifully recorded considering we starting with a Bald Eagle on the right front.

Well I got me a spindle fedex a day ago, and the pitman arm turns out to be different than what I have on the tractor. Then the real fun part. The guys in Turkey who made the thing welded the shaft in just about 90 deg out of where the shaft should be set in the spindle. Grumble... since I really wanted to stay with my older steering arm I elected to clean it up and get it ready for the new steering shaft. Upon completion of that task it has become painfully apparent that this assembly is going to go back together with the stick welder. Put it together, line it up, and weld it together... not the right way to do things, I know. It is still "servicable" just requires portaband saw and acetylene torch....

My guess on the missing thermostat was to reduce the consumption of engine oil.... or maybe it was just a cobble for the previous operator to "get by" until...
Okay, let me think here. Is it possible that allowing the engine to reach operating temperature might be better? Could the rings seal better? Or would it start fogging mosquitoes so bad until the plugs fouled in record time? Should I obtain a thermostat and try it?? as it is right now, she warms up to about 110 maybe 120 if I run it real hard.

If it can chug around the yard and move one or two logs at a time that will be sufficient.

:eek::eek::eek:

[/QUOTE]
when a engine runs cold, the fuel efficiency aint the best....hotter should make the rings tighter........just keep a eye on the temp....

Fuel consumption?? :laughing:
Oh dear... I ran it for about an hour or so yesterday. cleaned the plugs twice. The plugs seem to be fairly hot. Temperature gauge really doesn't register much and I did replace the thing when I got the beast. Running about half the time hitting on 3 cylinders outta 4 automatically signs me up for 25% more fuel consumption..

I gonna take it apart, and was looking at just how to do that yesterday. Not a easy task. Looks slightly better than the waterpump that I had to put on when I got the thing tho. My thinking is to see if I can get a low temp like about a 160 ish and try that. if it really messes up, then I am back to running it like it is.

I can only imagine just how sweet this thing could be if the engine ran smooth and steady, transmission stayed in gear, brakes would actually stop it. Power steering would be a bonus. I am thinking about creating a better exhaust system for it over my hunk of conduit that I have wired and hose clamped in there

Latest posts

Back