I can't stoooppp ssppplllliiiittttting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I go to work at noon, get off around 11, get home at 12, in bed by 1 or 2. When I took this shift I thought I'd get plenty of sack time. Then 2 weeks ago I bought "IT". The little Huskee. I'm up at 730, coffee on, feed dogs, grab coffee, and it's down to the splitter. I thought since I had 6 months 0% interest all I had to do was sell about 6 cords, 1 a month, to pay for it. At this rate I'll have 10 cord in the first 6 weeks. Thank goodness for the small gas tank, it runs out right at an hour, and with an effort, I can pull myself away and get ready for work. I've got a 5 hp electric motor and I've been thinking about putting quick connect fittings of the hoses, buying another 2 stage pump, and I'd be able to switch back and forth from gas to electric. That way I can split at night when I get home too. I've got a new pot of coffee on, maybe I can run back out for 15 minutes, Joe.

I have the same problem. If there's wood out there, I can't stay away from the splitter. If there isn't, I feel listless and lost. I find myself wandering out and looking for something to split that I might have overlooked. Try some of those uglies, maybe they'll bust this time.

:rock: I split by hand right now so its something I have to do almost everyday. What I miss now is an excuse to go run the saw. I have enough wood for this winter and need to catch up on splitting but I miss cutting its like something I need to do.

I have a similar problem, except I can't wait to get outside to swing my splitting axe and maul. For whatever reason the hydraulic doesn't get used unless it's a necessity.

FAD

I got it bad too, but made myself slow down this summer as I am already five years ahead and it was easy to get there, well, kinda sorta. Finished haying today, just need to haul bales in.....mmmm..pretty soon I will HAVE to go get more wood, just because...mowing is slowing down, only two more honeydo projects left.....soon as it cools a little and the bugs thin out, back to project trucks..and WOOD!

cut, split stack...cut, split stack.....

you will never lack..as you cut..split...stack...

sure is bigfun all the time. No idea why, it IS serious work..but it is always big fun.

Ok guys, i spoke with a few MD's and they said "y'all are ok"

Its normal to be hoarding wood and food this time of the year as its nesting and preparing for the long winter time of year. Men have been doing this long before they were infested with progressivism.

Keep cuttin, splittin, stackin, drinkin, cussin, pie in, bacon....ect

Last edited:
My problem is I hate splitting. I love the saw work but splitting is mind numbing to me. I have 2 shag barks, 2 red oaks, and a large white oak down and cut, just waiting for the splitting elves to show up and do it for me! Thats the problem that comes with enough wood already split and aged until 2015!

I would have to agree. I don't mind splitting for like an hour but after that its just plain boring. I split with an axe sometimes and that is a little more enjoyable. Running the saw, carrying logs, etc. all fun. Splitting, well not so much. So any of you that enjoy splitting I would be more than happy to help you out and offer my rounds up for your splitting pleasure. Bonus, if you like stacking I could also allow you to stack it as well. This is a limited time offer, so don't hesitate! Just think of the hours of free fun you could have!

My problem is I hate splitting. I love the saw work but splitting is mind numbing to me. I have 2 shag barks, 2 red oaks, and a large white oak down and cut, just waiting for the splitting elves to show up and do it for me! Thats the problem that comes with enough wood already split and aged until 2015!

Maybe you could work out a swap with someone, x percentage of the wood in exchange for splitting all of it?

Well, I stopped splitting this morning, ran out of wood. But, Monday, I'm supposed to go get 2 Locust logs I cut down last year. They were covered with Poison Ivy so I asked if I could get them later. I'll post pics, they are 2 of the bigger Locust I've taken down in years, My 30" bar on the XL923 just did go through them. That was a paying job. The lady was a friend of a friend and I gave her a half price deal. She had several trees down on her horse fence and several to come down in the pasture. She was very nice, and since I gave her a brake, she said I can come back and cut all the dead Oaks on her place. Now, I gotta tell the truth, it's really hard for me to cut those dead Oaks for free. It goes against my grain, hard work for free. But I've retired from tree work, and I do like to help folks, so, I guess I can force myself. Anyway, more pics next week, Joe.

Maybe you could work out a swap with someone, x percentage of the wood in exchange for splitting all of it?

I would but there is so little wood around here to cut its getting ridiculous. I have found a few places to cut but I have to wait until the crops are out of the field before I can drop the trees. I wish I was down where the wood was plentiful but then again I would never be able to put up with all the rules and regulations you guys have down there. Plus that dam heat yuck

I would but there is so little wood around here to cut its getting ridiculous. I have found a few places to cut but I have to wait until the crops are out of the field before I can drop the trees. I wish I was down where the wood was plentiful but then again I would never be able to put up with all the rules and regulations you guys have down there. Plus that dam heat yuck

I think you are thinking about a blue state. Not much rules here on cutting, especially off of private land.

Hot, yes, hot, but cold enough in the winter to have a heating season and occassional snow.

Either way, you do OK, at least you had the foresight to get a deuce for going to get firewood!!

Back