I dumped gas out of a VERY low hour saw..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't worry about it. fuel filters are there for a reason. as long as straight gas doesn't make it into my tank i'm happy ;). do you think loggers take a paint brush into the woods to brush off there caps before refueling/oiling? i don't think so. i just clean out the tank everytime i replace the fuel filter. no need to get fussy over a little bit of sawdust :givebeer:

Put in a little gas, put the cap back on, shake it dump it out, not rocket science.
Wasn't trying to be a smart aleck - just wondered if everyone just used gas, or if there was some other things used, or maybe even some magical concoction.

i always try to make sure there is is no sawdust on the can when i fill. take a look at you gas can and make sure there is no debris on it. plus cleaning the caps off before filling.

I believe that this "problem" is a little bit like the "air filter" paranoia. Dirt in the fuel tank is completely normal. That is the reason why since ages the fuel line has a filter on it and even the carb has an little mesh installed! It's just that simple things get dirty in such an environment. We are not talking about cut off saw environment, where abrasive elements can enter and destroy a saw rather quickly.
I often compare the chainsaw as the next evolutionary step to a hammer.... :D

Wasn't trying to be a smart aleck - just wondered if everyone just used gas, or if there was some other things used, or maybe even some magical concoction.

Sure you could use gumout spray or something like that if you want but why waste money a little gas does the same thing.

Start cutting wood in spandex... easier to clean and the ladies will love it

Now I am sure that Gabe Rygard from the Ax Men show is not the "typical" logger, but you just ruined my appetite for lunch because I envisioned him in spandex. Thanks!

I have one of those new "safety" type 2 1/2 gallon cans for my mix, the kind that you have to push down on the nozzle to allow fuel to flow. Its kind of a POS. But what i was thinking was that saw dust and dirt can get blown around and settle into that nozzle while im cutting or even when its setting in the shed. When you go to refuel, bingo, a whole shot of crud in the tank. I have been shooting a little bit on the ground first and then filling the saw.maybe a little anal, but fine snow seems to collect in the nozzle from the wind. Why not dust?

I've heard you can use Isopropyl Alcohol as it evaporates without leaving residue(get 92% or higher). I've even used it on big money computer servers for cleaning processors and such

I've heard you can use Isopropyl Alcohol as it evaporates without leaving residue(get 92% or higher). I've even used it on big money computer servers for cleaning processors and such
It would definitely dry out properly. But it evaporates a little too quickly to be effective at flushing the tank I would think. Especially once agitated, an ounce or two of isopropyl will disappear right quick.

It would definitely dry out properly. But it evaporates a little too quickly to be effective at flushing the tank I would think. Especially once agitated, an ounce or two of isopropyl will disappear right quick.
if you put 1/3 bottle (32oz) in and shake it around and dump. should be more than enough to not evap. its like $3 tops for the bigger bottles.

I've used mix or neat petrol, give it a shake and flush till clean, leave the cap off till its dry. It's a chainsaw that gets covered in crud after all

/me shrugs. That's what filters are for. When I did the fuel pump on my car I giggled and said oops when rust, dirt, and 2 bolts fell into the tank. Oh well.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

And silly me always wanted to keep any alcohol out of my fuel tank

Latest posts

Back