I found another book on firewood and cutting wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
While on vacation last week in Vermont, I found another book on the firewood lifestyle that you may enjoy. It's called "The Backyard Lumberjack" by Frank & Stephen Philbrick, Storey Publishing, 2006. Just thought that I'd pass this information on to anyone who would be interested in what looks to be a good read.

Just OK

One Mainer's take: it's a cute read about a self-absorbed lifestyle (sic) cum hobby for the dad and son. For more experienced wood heaters, firewood harvesters, arborists, and loggers there's some hoots in the book.
Recommended cutting techniques shown are damn dangerous for felling: check out the photos of "How to Fell a Tree".
Some of the tree ID photos are plain wrong.
Not much solid advice for new wood burners.
The son certainly has the splitting hubris.
All in all, entertaining for a quick read and cute Vermont character anecdotes . Quite good writing however.
JMHO PA.

I'll let you know after I read it!

I'll let you know what I think after I read it; actually just skimmed over it and thought it might be good. I'll have to see if I find the same "discrepencies" that you guys speak of! :greenchainsaw:

Back