I found out I have a terminal disease....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, "FAD": Firewood Acquistion Disorder, can be found in male or female, but predominantly affects the male. Common symptoms include lower back pain, inability to see the bed of your truck due to wood chips and bark, carrying a "loaded" chainsaw at all times, and the faint tinge of two stroke exhaust (and in winter, wood smoke) on clothing.

You know you got it bad when the next generation of firewood is growing in the bed of your pickup. :laugh:

attachment.php

man this thread isn't helping any, I was worried I was loosing my mind. Now that I know it's "normal" around here (like this is some sort of normalicy benchmark) my disorder has become much more acute.....:greenchainsaw:

man this thread isn't helping any, I was worried I was loosing my mind. Now that I know it's "normal" around here (like this is some sort of normalicy benchmark) my disorder has become much more acute.....:greenchainsaw:

We have discussions like this all the time up in the firewood forum. Posting there is really like belonging to a support group. I joined this site because of the large number of members who are just as into firewood and woodheat as I am.

:cheers:

Looks to me as though you "harvested" some ones out door Christmas tree, including the lights.

Get rid of the evidence, man.

Mark

:laugh:

Nahp. xmas lights left over from some scrap I collected at a clean up.

Admittedly, that was a while ago. With the price of copper and aluminium where it's at, there's not quite the incentive.

I used to get 80 cents a pound for unstripped wire like that. Not no more.

Not long after I got of here yesterday I was on my way to the farm to roof the overhang on the north side of my house and saw all that wood sitting at the neighbors beside the house. :confused: I was puzzled? It's just an older woman and her daughter there so I decided to go and ask. Turns out her BIL works for the State road commission and he had the supervisor drop the wood there because of some rule that state employees cannot take state property because that would be showing preference to them.

My neighbor tells me she didn't think he knew how big the trunk sections were, he just said he wanted them. Well he is in for a shocker! The smallest of the bunch is 6' long and at the narrowest point is about 35'' in dia. There were 5 logs there and the biggest, the crotch piece was closer to 40-42''. Nice stuff though, 2 could have great potential for furniture, the others are stove wood for sure. She said regardless of weather he could even cut it up she wants it gone in 2 weeks and said if it isn't to have the saws ready!:greenchainsaw:

What a relief! I was happy in the end knowing that it didn't end up in the dump because if they can't find a person to take the wood that is where it ends up. Pictures to come. JJ

Ok, I'll bite? How could you?

Nevermind I just went back through and caught your reply. I doubt that is going to happen. I have to fight for every cord I have. The farm has an over abundance of muti-flora rose and it spreads everywhere. Usually right where I want to cut wood. The only good short term method to deal with this stuff is push it out with the dozer. Only problem is that it will always come back, round up is like candy to it. I also have had problems recently with the cows knocking over wood stacks and just being pests when I am cutting wood.

Black Cherry is not good to have down around livestock as the leaves produce cianic acid as the wilt and will kill if ingested. So there is always the rush to get rid of it as soon as the tree is down and dead.

Still cuttin'!!!:greenchainsaw:

I thought it was just me with the disorder. I've cut about 25-30 cord so far this summer. About 14 for me and the rest for and with others. I thought I was sick and it was only me.

Okay I'll just say it:

HI MY NAME IS SHAGBARK AND I AM A FIREWOOD CUTTING ADDICT.

I see trees every day along one highway or another and think about how I'd like to get them, not because I "need" them but they are dead and they are right near the road and no big hassle to load them up once cut.

On the other hand, I CANNOT afford a ticket and here-abouts the law enforcement folks will do it to you for something like that, even if there is zero danger to anyone or to powerlines or etc.

Met a guy in a restaurant last winter who got to talking about his 036 Pro and we talked a while since that's my saw, too, and he had just gotten caught...looked at this one Ponderosa pine for months, beetle kill along a side road, perfect. He never saw a cop, and finally just simply could not stand it and dropped the tree about 5 a.m. and had it almost completely loaded up and the slash all piled in a nearby gully, neatly, and yep, cop pulls up and he gets a big fine.

Be very careful.
Notice how they showed up after he did all the work.: They just wanted the money for the wood...:(

I thought it was just me with the disorder. I've cut about 25-30 cord so far this summer. About 14 for me and the rest for and with others. I thought I was sick and it was only me.

Okay I'll just say it:

HI MY NAME IS SHAGBARK AND I AM A FIREWOOD CUTTING ADDICT.

Shag, your not a firewood cutting addict. It's not just CAD. We are men, we luv to buy our toys, we luv to have powerful machines to play with. WE ARE MEN!!!!!!

Shag, your not a firewood cutting addict. It's not just CAD. We are men, we luv to buy our toys, we luv to have powerful machines to play with. WE ARE MEN!!!!!!

Add to that, the locating of wood to cut (unless you have your own lot) has some of the aspects of the adventure of the hunt.

Bringing home a truckload of stove-length rounds is like bringing home the bacon. Bucking is like field dressing. Splitting up the rounds is like the butchering. Stacking is the equivalent of putting the meat up in the freezer for later use.

And the burning is the equivalent of a good steak. :)

Bringing home a truckload of stove-length rounds is like bringing home the bacon. Bucking is like field dressing. Splitting up the rounds is like the butchering. Stacking is the equivalent of putting the meat up in the freezer for later use.

Fantastic illustration.

Personally I am finding this FAD/CAD a way to relax and blow off steam from time to time in addition to just being flat out FUN.

My boys get a kick out of it. The women folk enjoy looking at the woodpile and planning those nice cold days for when the menfolk bring in the days wood needs. LOL.

All men should hit the woods and "work" perhaps we'd have fewer emasculated men out there.

Only Working 2-3 days a month since the econ downturn, this is my Job. It allows me, as a man, to be a man, even though my income is severely limited.

MEN NEED TO WORK. :)

Adam in the Garden. Bruh had a JOB. LOL. Even if he was an independent Contractor. ROFL!!!

Add to that, the locating of wood to cut (unless you have your own lot) has some of the aspects of the adventure of the hunt.

Crazy thing is, I'm going up to the hunting camp tonight for the weekend (deer bow season is open) and I'm more excited about running my new MS 460 and new-found Dolmar 143 than doing any hunting. I want to make that stack of firewood grow. I guess one good hobby deserves another.

Fantastic illustration.

Personally I am finding this FAD/CAD a way to relax and blow off steam from time to time in addition to just being flat out FUN.

My boys get a kick out of it. The women folk enjoy looking at the woodpile and planning those nice cold days for when the menfolk bring in the days wood needs. LOL.

I've had to educate my wife that all things invlved with wood heat is my hobby and past time- and that the alternatives for a man my age (pissing away a paycheck at the bar, looking at pretty girls, etc) are less desirable for all involved. She likes the radiant heat our cookstove puts off, but is less than thrilled when other chores on the honey-do list get bumped.

As for the boy - he's a smart one. If I'm wanting to just relax on the sofa, he'll say (he's 4), "Dada, let's go and do wood!"

So out to the dooryard we go. Reach for the maul and he says, "How about a wagon ride first."

After feeling like I've been played like a $2 ukulele, I think to myself, man this kids gonna have a bright future if he gets into sales and marketing.

Around my parts it doesn't get as cold as some of your areas does(so energy bills not as bad in the winter). Heck we spend more on air conditioning our homes in the summer then heating them in winter. Most the wood cutting is either commercial or people clearing their land or downed trees from storms. Needless to say my saws don't get used much(still fun to play with them every once in a while).

I've had to educate my wife that all things invlved with wood heat is my hobby and past time- and that the alternatives for a man my age (pissing away a paycheck at the bar, looking at pretty girls, etc) are less desirable for all involved. She likes the radiant heat our cookstove puts off, but is less than thrilled when other chores on the honey-do list get bumped.

As for the boy - he's a smart one. If I'm wanting to just relax on the sofa, he'll say (he's 4), "Dada, let's go and do wood!"

So out to the dooryard we go. Reach for the maul and he says, "How about a wagon ride first."

After feeling like I've been played like a $2 ukulele, I think to myself, man this kids gonna have a bright future if he gets into sales and marketing.

It's a family affair in these parts. Though she tends to the garden more than she cuts wood.

Crazy thing is, I'm going up to the hunting camp tonight for the weekend (deer bow season is open) and I'm more excited about running my new MS 460 and new-found Dolmar 143 than doing any hunting. I want to make that stack of firewood grow. I guess one good hobby deserves another.

Bow Season in July????? Our Bow Season is mid Sept-October. Never hunted deer with velvet on before...................Do they even have their new antlers yet?????

Latest posts

Back