I Got A Used 440 Today. Did I get hosed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 in this heat with a dull chain its going to get very hot! 400 bucks for a 440thats not a bad deal.

In heat like this it's good to swap saws out every half hour or so. The 441 I got I took it completely apart - the engine itself, replaced the sprocket chain and soaked everything in purple power and painted and opened up the muffler. Retuned it and I got a saw that looks like brand new for $500. The saw was bought new in february but was used by a now out of business service and I was a little weary but it ran good so i'm happy.

Just a thought, be sure it didnt have straight gas in it, may get hot and smoke from that. You never know what the PO had in it.
Otherwise run the puppy, great saw, not to bad of a price.

I wonder how many times it was overfilled with bar oil. It will run under the muffler and build up combined with sawdust. That combination can cause some smoking but not massive.

As many have suggested the clutch and chain brake are culprits also.

Bill

I just rebuilt a 044 from ground up...put about 400.00 in it.
To be safe when breaking it in, I tuned the high mix screw to be very rich and it would only run about 9300 rpm. After quite a bit of asking around here, it was said for me to crank the High mix to it's proper 13,000 rpm range. It scared the hell outta me when I did this as that saw really was screamin at that rpm. Once I got it tuned up right,the smoke started burning off of the muffler all that oil I was spewing into it from running it so rich. That, in itself scared me, I thought it was getting really hot from running to lean, but was not the case. The saw is a strong strong runner to say the least!

I just rebuilt a 044 from ground up...put about 400.00 in it.
To be safe when breaking it in, I tuned the high mix screw to be very rich and it would only run about 9300 rpm. After quite a bit of asking around here, it was said for me to crank the High mix to it's proper 13,000 rpm range. It scared the hell outta me when I did this as that saw really was screamin at that rpm. Once I got it tuned up right,the smoke started burning off of the muffler all that oil I was spewing into it from running it so rich. That, in itself scared me, I thought it was getting really hot from running to lean, but was not the case. The saw is a strong strong runner to say the least!

Running rich is ok to a certain extent but to rich has adverse effects as well. Proper tuning is key. Theres a fine line for both.

What did the wood look like after you were done cutting? I would check the clutch and chain brake. You where over working the thing. Too much drag on clutch and even more with a dull chain.

make shes shes still 4 strokn alittle at that 13000rpm.

i realy thinkn tuneing to a specified rpm should be a guideline only then the saw will tell you where exackly it needs to be

Where was the smoke coming from?The bar,muffler clutch,recoil.You need to do a good cleaning like computeruser said.I got a saw coming in a day or two and thats what I will do right after I take some pics:givebeer:

Back