I got lucky today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first tree service I worked for in the late 80s had one of the old drum chippers. I was wearing gloves my first day and the owner explained why that was a bad idea :p
thats what I always tell my guys, my chipper feeds at 120 feet per minute, that gives you 3 seconds to think about why bossman said to take the gloves off before it wont matter any more!

In all the injuries reported here, I don't think we have anyone that ever went down a chipper because they were wearing gloves. On the other hand, a lot of folks get badly punctured and mashed fingers by not wearing gloves while chipping.

I am pretty indifferent on that topic unless chipping thorny trees or out in cold weather. Gloves are an excellent plan, then.

Let it air dry and you'll be fine.
Yep. This is no worse than the time that the dermatologist used what felt like hydrofluoric acid to burn off my hand warts. He did it twice and I stopped going because it was not worth the horrible blisters and missing 3-4 days of school so they would not get infected.

It gave me enough time to finish Breaking Bad.

thats what I always tell my guys, my chipper feeds at 120 feet per minute, that gives you 3 seconds to think about why bossman said to take the gloves off before it wont matter any more!
Well, he explained to me that if a branch hooked onto my glove it might just pull me with it. Those old chippers were dangerous, plain and simple. Nothing like the current ones with a big disc. The old drum had no brake, nothing stopped it except too big a branch. 3 sec? Hell , throw a branch in that sucker and it was over in .3 sec.

Well, he explained to me that if a branch hooked onto my glove it might just pull me with it. Those old chippers were dangerous, plain and simple. Nothing like the current ones with a big disc. The old drum had no brake, nothing stopped it except too big a branch. 3 sec? Hell , throw a branch in that suckered and it was over in .3 sec.
yeah mines a bandit 250xp, has hydraulic feed wheels
if you dont hit the bar itll be kinda slow and painful, never did get to run a chuck and duck so I dont know how that behaves on pulling force but I bet its in the thousands of pounds
theres a great video on YT about throwing a rope in a chipper, they tie a rope to a limb and about 200ft away theres a dummy, that dummy damn near teleports to the other end of the chipper once the rope gets caught
not a die grinder like Mr.Metsa was using, but spinning objects have immense amounts of power and momentum

if you dont hit the bar itll be kinda slow and painful, never did get to run a chuck and duck so I dont know how that behaves on pulling force but I bet its in the thousands of pounds
theres a great video on YT about throwing a rope in a chipper, they tie a rope to a limb and about 200ft away theres a dummy, that dummy damn near teleports to the other end of the chipper once the rope gets caught
not a die grinder like Mr.Metsa was using, but spinning objects have immense amounts of power and momentum
I have worked with a tree guy who has an OLD Asplundh chipper that is insanely fast. My favorite chipper will forever be the Eliet shredders. They satisfy my needs as a small landscaper and are good for cleaning up when you use everything over 4 inches in diameter for firewood and carving like me. Although as much as I want an Eliet I just rent them. But the rental place I get them at is willing to sell me a broken one that has a broken drive and missing parts that was never picked up by the manufacturer after they dropped another one off. My man @SOUTHERNFIREWOOD has an old stump grinder he fixed so I do not see how I could not fix the thing. But for now, I need to get my shop built and finish the BT 106 I have been working on for the last 3 months.
Screenshot 2023-09-09 153304.png

In all the injuries reported here, I don't think we have anyone that ever went down a chipper because they were wearing gloves. On the other hand, a lot of folks get badly punctured and mashed fingers by not wearing gloves while chipping.

I am pretty indifferent on that topic unless chipping thorny trees or out in cold weather. Gloves are an excellent plan, then.
I see many folks that will not remove there wedding ring while working. In some cases it does not end well.

1698027467784.png

I love the ones where the groundie forgets his winch line is still attached…oops…

Well, he explained to me that if a branch hooked onto my glove it might just pull me with it. Those old chippers were dangerous, plain and simple. Nothing like the current ones with a big disc. The old drum had no brake, nothing stopped it except too big a branch. 3 sec? Hell , throw a branch in that sucker and it was over in .3 sec.

All of the drum chippers I've been around had an instant-drop feed tray that prevented further feed of any branch. When the tray dropped, the wood didn't get pressed into the bed knife and all the brush chipping came to an abrupt end.

I suppose there are plenty of versions that didn't have that, but I never used one.

I see many folks that will not remove there wedding ring while working. In some cases it does not end well.

View attachment 1122031

That is called a degloving injury, curiously enough. In that particular case, the skin is removed like a glove.

That happened to a fellow that worked for me about 30 years ago. He did get to keep his finger and skin, but it was pretty traumatic, nevertheless. His wedding ring was toast, too.

Yep. I warned him he shouldn't wear it at work. As it happens, the bed of our truck snagged it while he was trotting around its rear corner. Then he just couldn't stop fast enough.

All of the drum chippers I've been around had an instant-drop feed tray that prevented further feed of any branch. When the tray dropped, the wood didn't get pressed into the bed knife and all the brush chipping came to an abrupt end.

I suppose there are plenty of versions that didn't have that, but I never used one.
Please explain what you are saying as every Asplundh , Fitchburg, an other brand drum chippers I have owned and operated had no such feature at all.

That is why they are called "chuck and duck" If it is in it is going out. The ole 330 Ford V-8's coupled to a 16" drum did not care much.

Can you picture what you are referencing?

Back