I got lucky today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the drum chippers I've been around had an instant-drop feed tray that prevented further feed of any branch. When the tray dropped, the wood didn't get pressed into the bed knife and all the brush chipping came to an abrupt end.

I suppose there are plenty of versions that didn't have that, but I never used one.
Early 80s . Not sure what all was even available then. He was a 1-man operator so he got the cheapest thing available, used.
Before that we were loading brush into his truck and using tree saws to cut down the brush...in the truck 🤣

Please explain what you are saying as every Asplundh , Fitchburg, an other brand drum chippers I have owned and operated had no such feature at all.

That is why they are called "chuck and duck" If it is in it is going out. The ole 330 Ford V-8's coupled to a 16" drum did not care much.

Can you picture what you are referencing?

I suppose there are plenty of versions that didn't have that, but I never used one.

Early 80s . Not sure what all was even available then. He was a 1-man operator so he got the cheapest thing available, used.
Before that we were loading brush into his truck and using tree saws to cut down the brush...in the truck 🤣
I have owned several drum units and not a one had any safety features.

lets clear things up, a drum chipper is not a chuck and duck, yes a c&d has a drum, however many hydraulic fed chippers have a drum instead of a disk, so saying "drum chippers are more dangerous" is complete BS
oh BTW my bandit is a chuck and duck if I open up the feed wheels with the crush cylinder, if its in its gone

the chipper in the video is a drum style bandit
ive actually heard the C&D's are safer because they scare the operator too damn much to get close to it

The first tree service I worked for in the late 80s had one of the old drum chippers. I was wearing gloves my first day and the owner explained why that was a bad idea :p
My old Whisper chuck and duck chipper ate plenty of gloves. I remove the upper potion so they go right through chipped nicely. Loose cutdown leather is your friend at the chipper.

lets clear things up, a drum chipper is not a chuck and duck, yes a c&d has a drum, however many hydraulic fed chippers have a drum instead of a disk, so saying "drum chippers are more dangerous" is complete BS
oh BTW my bandit is a chuck and duck if I open up the feed wheels with the crush cylinder, if its in its gone

the chipper in the video is a drum style bandit
ive actually heard the C&D's are safer because they scare the operator too damn much to get close to it
Yeah. I heard that too. That dude on YouTube Guilty Of Treeson made a video about it once.

what is peoples obsession with this stuff? every older dude I talk to has to make some sort of joke
that being said, I doubt he's left handed, might be but I doubt it
It's just...
those ones not covered in scares, missing fingers and no calluses. We just like to raz the youngins is all. That let's them know they fit in and will eventually be old plus beatup like the rest of us still dumb enough to keep doing this work.
Did that cover it?

Yeah. I heard that too. That dude on YouTube Guilty Of Treeson made a video about it once.
Once you've had a groundie feed your climbing line tag end to the drum feed chipper you tend to watch the limb movements much more closely from your spot high above wondering when it will happen again. If I can't see the auto feed chipper I'm not leaving my ropes hang down.

My ropes in someones drum feed is far more dangerous then my old Whisper chucker. The chucker cuts the rope and the feed roller type just keeps pulling you in.

I prefer to use my chucker on limb work. It's faster for anything small under 5" limbs. It has a 12" feed throat and four knives on the drum. It does spit out rocks though if the fools shovel in that last swept up pile with a snow shovel. That is the most dangerous part about them in general imho.

It's just...
those ones not covered in scares, missing fingers and no calluses. We just like to raz the youngins is all. That let's them know they fit in and will eventually be old plus beatup like the rest of us still dumb enough to keep doing this work.
Did that cover it?
no you made a joke about his "girlfriend" being his hand, thats what im talking about, not the scars
we all get what you are saying, its seriously messed up bud

pardon the black bars, screenshots from my gallery
I was picking up some plywood last year and slid my hand down it to balance the half sheet I was carrying, had to cut this splinter out after using the skin it grabbed to rip this splinter off the sheet, still a scar over a year later, I had to climb the next day too, wasnt fun
1698083431082.png1698083466223.png1698083473148.png

I grabbed a hot iron once when I was a year and a half old, can't straighten my left index finger out all the way and the scar runs down the base of all my fingers, also my left index finger is almost a quarter inch shorter than my right one
View attachment 1122132
View attachment 1122131
But, on the up side, it made your heart and life lines a lot longer.
;)
That's one heck of a bad burn.

Once you've had a groundie feed your climbing line tag end to the drum feed chipper you tend to watch the limb movements much more closely from your spot high above wondering when it will happen again. If I can't see the auto feed chipper I'm not leaving my ropes hang down.

My ropes in someones drum feed is far more dangerous then my old Whisper chucker. The chucker cuts the rope and the feed roller type just keeps pulling you in.

I prefer to use my chucker on limb work. It's faster for anything small under 5" limbs. It has a 12" feed throat and four knives on the drum. It does spit out rocks though if the fools shovel in that last swept up pile with a snow shovel. That is the most dangerous part about them in general imho.
I just watched this video and it reminded me of what you guys were talking about in this thread,
@ 22:14 the chipper jammed with rope

The chipper shredded that rope without any hesitation. They just shut it down to inspect for damage.

BTW: I believe that was a 3/8ths Amsteel rope. Breaking strength is about 19,000lbs, and it is exceedingly difficult to cut. It will roll the edge dull on a brand new box knife blade. That should give you an idea of the destructive power of a big chipper.

Latest posts

Back