i got lyme disease

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
well my fellow firewooders i got lyme disease. i noticed the bite sunday night. kinda ignored it and went to work on monday. it got progressivly larger and larger. so i took today off to go to the doctor just to be safe. im glad i did. everyone who looked at it said ohh thats lyme disease right off the bat. luckally i caught it quick so they dont expect anything mojor to come of it.

im on antibiotics for it now. only real bad thing about it is it makes me more prone to the sun. me being a redhead dosent help either lol. they said id have to wear a high spf sunblock or ill get blisters and all that good stuff.

i havent ever really read much about it but the only real thing i noticed over the last 2 days is i just feel run down. i did a little work on my camaro today and i just feel real tired. dunno if its related to the lyme disease or not. i just cant seem to shake the run down feeling.

any of you guys got this? id imagine since we all play with trees its bound to happen. funny thing is i havent been in the woods in a few months atleast sorry to say. maybe i got it from the grass or one of the dogs. dosent really matter i guess now. atleast i got it early :)

well my fellow firewooders i got lyme disease. i noticed the bite sunday night. kinda ignored it and went to work on monday. it got progressivly larger and larger. so i took today off to go to the doctor just to be safe. im glad i did. everyone who looked at it said ohh thats lyme disease right off the bat. luckally i caught it quick so they dont expect anything mojor to come of it.

im on antibiotics for it now. only real bad thing about it is it makes me more prone to the sun. me being a redhead dosent help either lol. they said id have to wear a high spf sunblock or ill get blisters and all that good stuff.

i havent ever really read much about it but the only real thing i noticed over the last 2 days is i just feel run down. i did a little work on my camaro today and i just feel real tired. dunno if its related to the lyme disease or not. i just cant seem to shake the run down feeling.

any of you guys got this? id imagine since we all play with trees its bound to happen. funny thing is i havent been in the woods in a few months atleast sorry to say. maybe i got it from the grass or one of the dogs. dosent really matter i guess now. atleast i got it early :)

Good on you for catching it so quickly...I hear it's a real biatch if you miss it during it's first phase.

i havent ever really read much about it but the only real thing i noticed over the last 2 days is i just feel run down. i did a little work on my camaro today and i just feel real tired. dunno if its related to the lyme disease or not. i just cant seem to shake the run down feeling any of you guys got this? id imagine since we all play with trees its bound to happen. funny thing is i havent been in the woods in a few months atleast sorry to say. maybe i got it from the grass or one of the dogs. dosent really matter i guess now. atleast i got it early :)

Yep, I had it a few years ago. Never want it again. At first the tests came back negative but it had affected my liver readings so they couldn't put me on the meds as a precautionary thing. I had blood test after blood test. Even ultrasounds on my liver. Symptoms were... I was hot, I was cold. One minute I was shaking so bad my kids would come and cover me up. Two minutes later I wanted to strip to my shorts. I was exhausted. I could only exert myself for 15 minutes and then had to sit down for half an hour. My skin felt like I had a bad sunburn all over my body, so much so that I couldn't wear my hat or watch.
Another fella I know said it felt like there was broken glass all under his skin. I guess that's another good analogy for it.
When my liver reading settled down they put me on the meds and took another blood test. A day later I felt like a new man and the clinic called to tell me the test came back positive. Oh really? I never woulda guessed. :laugh:
But ever since and to this day my internal thermostat is screwed up. Can't take the cold or heat anymore.

Catching it early is good. You should recover fine. The property I own was previously owned by a chiropractor that contracted Lyme. He had to close his practice, sold this place and moved out west. I think he's finally recovered and able to practice after years of problems. I pulled 4 or 5 ticks off myself this year so I guess I'm lucky. Hope you get well soon.

Last edited:
I've had it twice. First time I felt like I was dying. Pounding headache, fever, absolutely no energy. Got the antibiotics and I was like new 24 hours later.

2nd time was like the flu. Slight fever and headache and just didn't feel like doing anything. It wasn't nearly as bad as the first time, so maybe I have some resistance now.

I suspect a lot of Lyme disease goes undiagnosed, because except for the big red bite, the symptoms are about the same as the flu.

If you have flu-like symptoms and a tick bite, get your arse into the doctor. It is much easier to treat early on.

my mom got it three years ago--i had read a article in outdoor life about a doc in mo. but nooooo, she goes to the idiot in town, who messed with her-------------for three months!!!! she went to mo, and in two weeks she was much better!!!!!!! she is doing real good now--if she would have listened----

Beats getting lemon disease. . . :monkey:

;)

Hope ya shake it and don't feel too bad. :cheers:

thanks guys, like i said i dont feel really bad. i feel a little crappy and just run down. the affected area of the bite has a burning itching feeling. seems to be getting worse.
hopefully the meds will kick in soon. well see how work is tomorrow. i leave at 430am and i get home at about 545 if all goes well. so its a long day hopefully i can stay awake :)

My 4 yr old daughter got it a month ago. About a month ago, we had her in the ER at 3AM with a temp of 104.7F poor kid was screaming and vomiting. We had to resort to suppository children's Tylenol to get her temp. down. After 3 weeks on ABs she's just fine. Same here after 24hrs symptoms 95% gone. Good luck rancher455!

thanks guys, like i said i dont feel really bad. i feel a little crappy and just run down. the affected area of the bite has a burning itching feeling. seems to be getting worse.
hopefully the meds will kick in soon. well see how work is tomorrow. i leave at 430am and i get home at about 545 if all goes well. so its a long day hopefully i can stay awake :)

Do you know how long after the tick detached you started seeing the rash? If the rash was present while the tick was still attached or developed within 48 h of detachment you may only have a hypersensitivity reaction. If the rash keeps increasesing in size most likely is Lyme's.

Cheers,

I've had it three times..............First time I had a huge rash, not the usual "Bulls-eye" just a massive red, black, & blue rash along with fever chills, etc.

Second time had the classic "Bulls-eye" with just a run-down tired feeling.

Third time a small rash (no bulls-eye) & one day of feeling tired with minor fever.

Been bitten many times by Deer ticks, I always have a reaction to the bite just like Husky described.....(itching & burning) which lasts a few days...... I've been told this is a reaction to the tick's saliva. I've also read & been told that they need to be embedded 36 - 48 hours in order to transmit the disease but I'm not too sure about that. Sure a lot of times I was fine (other than the rash mentioned above) BUT the last time I got Lyme that tick wasn't in me for more than 24 hours.....I'm pretty diligent about checking myself after being in "tick habitat" so I know for sure it was less than 24 hours.

Bottom line - if you've been bitten pay close attention to how you are feeling & keep in mind you don't always get the classic "Bulls-eye" rash and / or fever etc. If you feel just the slightest bit "off" from your usual self go see a doctor just to play it safe.

I've also read & been told that they need to be embedded 36 - 48 hours in order to transmit the disease but I'm not too sure about that.

Now what I've read, and been told by my doc, is that they only need to be attached for 3-4 HOURS. And that is all the tick that got me was attached. :confused:

The truth is, nobody really knows how long it takes for them to transfer the disease. What we DO know is, that business about it taking 24-48 hours is NOT TRUE.

Sad, though. I see a lot of the "3 weeks and you're fine" in this thread.

This is ALSO NOT TRUE.

Do some homework, folks. Most doctors don't really know much about this.

I find alot of ticks on me but fortunately not many get "latched on". Got bit by one this spring but nothing came of it. Good job catching it early and getting to the Dr. quick. Too many guys just try to ignore things and hope for the best.

Man, sorry to hear that! Heres hoping for a speedy recovery!
Never had it myself, but it is a wonder that I havent.I rarely have any problems with insect bites, my wife always says its because I must taste bad that they leave me alone and go for the others.

And yes, i do take an occasional shower.....

Now what I've read, and been told by my doc, is that they only need to be attached for 3-4 HOURS. And that is all the tick that got me was attached. :confused:

Yup, my point exactly......what you read & hear doesn't always apply. That's the problem w/ Lyme, from transmission to symptoms to testing it doesn't follow a normal / predictable course. Oh well I guess this is a good example of why the doctor's call it "practicing" medicine and not "performing" medicine :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back