I got my saws dirty today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev1n

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was able to get some video of the guys cutting down my Aunt's tree last week in beautiful Oconomowoc, WI. The tree had been hit by lightning and was ready to fall, maybe on that nice boathouse.

Today I went out to finish up the job and get some wood. I brought my 2-038 supers, craftsman 25da, and a homelite super 2. The homelite did the majority of the work so far. I must admit that the homey was very well balanced, and had lots of grunt. I just switched to synthetic oil and my saws were acting up a little while the carbon deposits were getting spewed out the muffler. I have to go back later in the week and cut that long log into two benches near the rivers edge. She also wants me to carve that stump into a chair.:dizzy: I'm going to bring a p60 for that, I'll try to get some video of that. It was a good day.
Kevin

YouTube - SANY0001.MP4
YouTube - SANY0002.MP4
2011january001-1.jpg

2011january004-2.jpg

Real nice looking place you are working around there. I have often wondered about cutting a stump into something useful, like the chair you have mentioned. Only thing I ever did was added a table top to a big Cedar stump making a unique picnic table.

Real nice looking place you are working around there. I have often wondered about cutting a stump into something useful, like the chair you have mentioned. Only thing I ever did was added a table top to a big Cedar stump making a unique picnic table.

It's a real nice lot on the river that connects to a few big lakes. Oconomowoc or FiveO as the kids call it used to be a big tourist attraction in the 1800s I think(for the spring water).
I'm going to give that stump my best effort, I hope it turns out well. If not, I'll let my brother carve it into something. He comes out from California sometimes. He carves palm tree's into totem poles and whatever else someone can think of.
Thanks

Nice work Kevin! That pic inspires me to rebuild my Craftsman 2.1A/Poulan 25DA.

Thanks, I tried to figure out how to post the links for the pics for guys like you. I guess you got it all figured out now. That rebadged poulan is a nice saw. It ran good for a few tanks then got an attitude.

Embeded pics usually work for me on AS. Embedded vids sometimes work for me on AS...................but often don't work. Links to vids almost always work.

I don't know what's different about certain embedded vids here that makes them work for me when others only show up as a tiny box with a red X. Who knows...

In any case, the vid links in your first post worked fine for me, as did the embedded pics...

Bet the 'bad attitude' shown by your Craftsman 2.1A was due to bad crank seals. The newest of those saws are obout 35 years old now...

Embeded pics usually work for me on AS. Embedded vids sometimes work for me on AS...................but often don't work. Links to vids almost always work.

I don't know what's different about certain embedded vids here that makes them work for me when others only show up as a tiny box with a red X. Who knows...

In any case, the vid links in your first post worked fine for me, as did the embedded pics...

Bet the 'bad attitude' shown by your Craftsman 2.1A was due to bad crank seals. The newest of those saws are obout 35 years old now...

It was acting more fuel related, it was flooding. There was also lots of pressure in the tank. I quickly replaced the duckbill before I left this morning. That could be the culprit, it was running great without one. I'll pressure/vac test it for peace of mind when I get into this again.

Last edited:
I finally had some time to finish this job. I was throwing noodles all day.:msp_biggrin: I built a couple of bench seats and I think they turned out preety well. I tried to carve some round notches in some logs and set the benches on them. I couldn't even get cose to cutting a round notch. I then cut some 6x6s on the end of the logs and sort of dovetailed them. This method worked great, it made more seating room and is more stable. I did all this with my freshly rebuilt 038 super with a 27" bar. Plunge cutting was a little rough with a 27" bar. The saw worked flawlessly and I put about 15 tanks through it.
2011january003-3.jpg

2011january001-3.jpg
2011january005-1.jpg

I freehand cut this log, would an alaskin mini mill work on a 24" log?

Last edited:
Nice work! Creative on the 'dovetail' work. Reminds me of some older timberframe stuff I've seen in barns & such.

Is that tulip poplar? Or some kind of ornamental pear? (maybe they're the same?)

I got my hands on some about a year ago and it was AWFUL to split. Worse than elm. I had to use the wedge the whole time. No nice swing of the splitting maul...

Anyway, great job! Thanks for sharing.
TB

Thanks guys, It was a silver maple. It should be easy to split except for pieces near the stump. It was rock hard, and I hit an actual rock in the middle to boot. The dovetail is oldschool and saved alot of sitting space on the benches.

Latest posts

Back