I got scammed in the Trading Post

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IchWarriorMkII

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone else have this happen?

I went on to sell my Husky 353, after 6 months of no bites this jerk [email protected] emails me asking about the condition of the saw, in very vauge terms. I really didn't think he wanted the saw, because, well he didn't talk like any of us.

After failing to mail me the cash, as promised, or offer a tracking number, as promised, I had to pay $5 to get this envelope out of the mail.

The envelope came from a Thomas Hall, which I find suspicious immediately. Inside, a check from Provantage Corporation for excessive amounts of funds for the measly $350 I asked for the saw. Also, a letter from Rosie Ortize to send them the difference, (Excess of $2000) and the saw via Western Union. An email was included, but different than the person that originally contacted me.

Anyways... a heads up.

you didn't send him any change? These things happen all the time, my wife heard about a 19 yr old Avon dealer that sent $ 1800 in change for a $200 order, she's out. That's about the oldest scam on the net. I've heard about it many times.

Anyone else have this happen?

I went on to sell my Husky 353, after 6 months of no bites this jerk [email protected] emails me asking about the condition of the saw, in very vauge terms. I really didn't think he wanted the saw, because, well he didn't talk like any of us.

After failing to mail me the cash, as promised, or offer a tracking number, as promised, I had to pay $5 to get this envelope out of the mail.

The envelope came from a Thomas Hall, which I find suspicious immediately. Inside, a check from Provantage Corporation for excessive amounts of funds for the measly $350 I asked for the saw. Also, a letter from Rosie Ortize to send them the difference, (Excess of $2000) and the saw via Western Union. An email was included, but different than the person that originally contacted me.

Anyways... a heads up.

isnt he a member here???:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

not sure if it will help but show the post office the letter which you paid the $5 for.

btw why would you pay $5 for a letter you didnt know who from?

I get a lot of crap like this from craigslist, asking about the condition of the item, whats the cheapest you'll go on it, than they offer more than what I asked for it. All broken up english. I just ask them to send me their phone number so we can work it out and they never reply.

not sure if it will help but show the post office the letter which you paid the $5 for.

btw why would you pay $5 for a letter you didnt know who from?

All I got was a notice, that postage was due on this envelope.. I paid the money in good faith it was an honest payment for the saw.

Its called money laundering.

Call your local police and forward all information. The fact that he sent it registered mail makes it worse for the criminal if they can catch him

Not sure if I'm understanding this right, Did he get the saw first and then sent rubber funds, or did the saw and funds pass each other in the mail?
John

I think it is that the scammer tried to get the saw and money too, offering a fake money transfer.

I can't think they'd get very many takers on deals like that...most of us would be at the bank or post office checking out the check/money order/transfer device...AND THEN go to the next step.

IchW...where was the letter mailed from? Most U.S. P.O. 's won't accept letters postage due. I bet next time that will be the first question we ask the post office..."who's it from?"

I think it is that the scammer tried to get the saw and money too, offering a fake money transfer.

I can't think they'd get very many takers on deals like that...most of us would be at the bank or post office checking out the check/money order/transfer device...AND THEN go to the next step.

IchW...where was the letter mailed from? Most U.S. P.O. 's won't accept letters postage due. I bet next time that will be the first question we ask the post office..."who's it from?"

Return Address is:

Thomas Hall
174 East Water Street
Gettysburg PA 17325

I wasn't "TOTALLY" scammed, I still have my saw and money. Just pissed some loser would take my mailing address to send me a fraud check.

Before throwing on floor

I probably would have whizzed in envelope first, would not have helped,
but gave a little satisfaction. The news has been full of these cash check
and send $ back scams recently, all sounds good until their check bounces
& your account pays. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't.
Scammers prey on the gullible & even a few greedy people.
Phishing for social security #'s, bank account & routing #'s is also
one of their tools.

I wish the OP had chosen a different title. My feelings sank when I thought a fellow AS member had scammed some one.

Anyways, the only way to take care of these scammers is to ensure that the word is spread.

Perhaps if you live in the right area and have the right contacts something may actually be done.

I'm thinking something along the lines of donating a bunch of the checks to certain families in New Jersey and let them collect.

Or maybe get a reserve Ranger Battalion together and have them spend their two weeks summer training visiitng and correcting the scammers.

And the latest scam that was tried on me today on the phone "Hello, this is .... bank. We had to lock your credit card, to unlock it you will need to press 2 and then enter your card number"

They must have thought I have "stupid" tatooed on my forehead. I called the local branch and reported it and the teller said she had gotten the same scam call.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back