I hate my P61

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DroppedP51

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Its a good looking and sounding saw and performs not to shabby,
But it keeps letting me down,Starts with a bit of a backfire then a miss then stops,Last time it was if it ran outa fuel,and the diaphram in the bottom of carb had come unhooked??

This time id say its the same. Grrrrr
I have a parts p51 that ive keept running,Can i put the carb of that onto the 61?

I dont want to put negitive vibes in the pioneer thread so its here by its self lol

Its a good looking and sounding saw and performs not to shabby,
But it keeps letting me down,Starts with a bit of a backfire then a miss then stops,Last time it was if it ran outa fuel,and the diaphram in the bottom of carb had come unhooked??

This time id say its the same. Grrrrr
I have a parts p51 that ive keept running,Can i put the carb of that onto the 61?

I dont want to put negitive vibes in the pioneer thread so its here by its self lol

Tilly HS carb? The one off the 51 should be the same. I have a lot more luck with an SDC than a tilly for some reason.

I don't get how the diaphram would get unhooked from the lever? I've never seen that.

If it annoys you any more, send it along. I like orphans.:rock::rock:

How did the inlet lever look, was it spread apart more than usual? I would try a different lever if possible, not sure on the tilly setup, I've only seen sdc carbs on these and have had zero issues with those.

Will run with choke out a bit on ground when i tip it over it sounds air leak ish,Did notice it started to rev higher by itself as well ? Air leak?
Normaly Goes realy good then seems to run outa fuel then stops,Now its stopped,will look into it next week

I would trust Jerry's advice. I would also look into the reed cage because you had the carb off for an air leak if not the seals, that plastic cage cracks and warps over time and just the old gasket or a new one won't seal it alone. I used some hondabond to help seal a couple.

If it will run with the choke out it is not flooding, it is fuel starving. Tank filter or fuel line comes to mind, make sure the gasket between the carb and reed block is in good shape, also the reed block gasket can sometimes crack and cause an air leak.
OOPS,..I see Kev1 beat me to it...LOL

Jerry, how do you do an air leak test between the carb and reed block?
Thanks

Jerry, how do you do an air leak test between the carb and reed block?
Thanks

You can install a blocker under the carb and block off the exhaust by placing a blocker between the muffler and cylinder. Install an adapter in the sparkplug hole and either pull vacuum with a vac gun and see if it holds vac or you can apply low pressure air to the fitting and use soapy water to spray or dose with a paint brush. I have made up blockers from 1/8" rubber sheeting for dozens of different saws, also made up dozens of block off plates from 1/4" thick aluminum but using the carb and muffler works well.

I used grease on the gasket faces when i put saw together,as i have on all mine,
Maybe its come back to haunt me?

Hello I know this is an old thread but today I made a Husqvarna 365 coil fit on a pioneer P61. Just slotted the one hole in the center of the coil towards the coil itself and made a piece work for the second mount. It works great and runs good. Way cheaper then trying to find the original coil for that saw when they were all bad for loosing spark. Bit mickey mouse but it works.

I used a black unlimited coil but probably could have used a blue coil too. The second screw mount was to hold the coil back from pivoting towards the flywheel, I didn't want to try to weld a nut to the existing coil so came up with this idea. Seems to work good hasn't moved, and that stuff on the coil by the screw is seal all where I ground back the body of the coil but after finishing it I think I didn't have to grind back the body at all. Surprisingly runs awesome, before I finished it I was worrying if it would be way off time but nope doesn't kick back through the pull handle when starting, and runs great through all the rpm. I don't have a way to check the timing with a timing light etc. Just had the kill wire off to show the coil, other then that all works good when connected.

Latest posts

Back