I have a confession...Time for a reaming

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highrisen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Its taken a few beers to admit this. Let me give background first: I grew up cutting wood but then moved into town. I finally just bought a house with wood heat capabilities and am back to cutting wood as of August this year. However, when looking to the ambience of the fireplace, I found that the green wood smokes up the house and I have no seasoned wood and know no one nearby that does.

So, last weekend, I swallowed my pride, pulled my hat down to cover my face, and, paid $5 for a bag from Home Depot...the shame!!!

We had to go back again and this time I had had enough, I made my girlfriend pay for it while I went to hide in the truck.

It's embarrassing, I just had to get it off my chest

Its taken a few beers to admit this. Let me give background first: I grew up cutting wood but then moved into town. I finally just bought a house with wood heat capabilities and am back to cutting wood as of August this year. However, when looking to the ambience of the fireplace, I found that the green wood smokes up the house and I have no seasoned wood and know no one nearby that does.

So, last weekend, I swallowed my pride, pulled my hat down to cover my face, and, paid $5 for a bag from Home Depot...the shame!!!

We had to go back again and this time I had had enough, I made my girlfriend pay for it while I went to hide in the truck.

It's embarrassing, I just had to get it off my chest

What beer drove you to this confession? I will need to stay clear of it. Say 5 "Hail Mulberrys" and start scounging for some standing dead.

You folks are havin too much fun with this one...albeit true story. Keep goin, 0 views so far everyone who's read it has replied! Give me hell! its the only path to recovery

Last edited:
Get some of those bio bricks if all else fails. You would have been better of asking for pallets at that HD instead of buying bundle wood:msp_tongue:

Highrisen, this confession of yours took courage!I commend you for that,and you came to the right place.I agree with the others,pallets,standing deadwood,or even a blowdown.If you get out much, look in peoples yards for blowdowns or dead trees.Many will give you that for taking it away.Course, some of the pros on here might get a little ticked, but a professional tree service in your area might be able to help you out as well.Good luck! I got plenty of seasoned wood,though, if you want to make a trip south to get it.Merry Christmas!

Its just that all my life i've seen those bundled firewood packages and said: "What homo fu**tard would buy those things?" Lesson learned: Don't judge people, someday you may be pushed to the limit of desperation. Thanks for the support, I just posted an ad on craigslist for pallets.

Its just that all my life i've seen those bundled firewood packages and said: "What homo fu**tard would buy those things?" Lesson learned: Don't judge people, someday you may be pushed to the limit of desperation. Thanks for the support, I just posted an ad on craigslist for pallets.

I am trying to feel sorry for you, really, I am! Just isn't working though! In the summer I sell around 900 of those bundles! lol Thank god for fu
**tards! too bad you aren't close buy, I could beat HD's price!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Ted

I repped ya anyway, just for the brutal honesty!

I burn wood year round but i buy the paper logs for the wife's little stove BECAUSE i do not want to put extra time on the saws for 8 in cuts:)

As a guy that sells firewood I salute you and can assure you that lots of people buy bagged wood. Its one of the few products that
stores like Home Depot actually source locally. As we all know 99.9% of the product they sell is made in China. I know a guy that sells
1 cubic foot bags to big box stores for around $4-5. They turn around and sell it for $7.99. If these stores would buy more North American
made product our economy wouldn't be as screwed as it is.

thats rough man lol. the first winter i had my house i was completly broke and i had no wood. i burned an absolute mountain of pallets. their out there you just gotta look. i have never bought pre bagged wood. i hope that day will never come hahaha!

I reckon a pallet of bio bricks will be cheaper, in the long run, than a bundle of sticks at HD for $7 or so. Try to scrounge for anything you can find but be careful. Blow downs, even standing deads can be almost as green as living trees. The tops of standing dead can be pretty burnable though, even though the trunk is off the scale on a moisture meter. Sorta dry wood mixed with bio bricks and/or pallets might see you through the winter. Start stocking up NOW for next winter... and the winter after that if at all possible.
Being ahead is a blessing.

Doing what one needs to do is a forgivable offense.

I howeveer need to be beaten with rocked out chains. I turned on the furnace to heat the house up from 63 degrees this morning while waiting for the stove to get woke up.

Harry K

I sometimes have the impression that my 2 year seasoned wood is a little moist, so I usually get the wood for the next day and stack it next to the fireplace. After one evening of lying there it is all cracked open. So that might help you out drying the wood for tommorow today. And as we all know the air is very dry in winter so you have an additional effect of moisturizing the air in the living room for the girls in the house. :)

Latest posts

Back