I have a few ?s I dont know alot about saws so some help would be nice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrk585

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
1st off I am looking to build a log cabin I want to fab some of the lumber myself I have 2, 041 saws I need a "long bar” mostly for falling trees what would a recommended length be also a chain type

2nd off one of the saws need a coil and help would be thanked

3rd I am looking to buy a small to mid size saw around a ms-260 please tell me goods and bads about this saw or other comparable saws This saw would be used to cut firewood from tree tops around a 18” bar

mrk585 said:
3rd I am looking to buy a small to mid size saw around a ms-260 please tell me goods and bads about this saw or other comparable saws This saw would be used to cut firewood from tree tops around a 18” bar
The 260 is an old design with bad anti-vibe and air filter system.

Husky 346xp/Jonsered 2147 and 353/2152 are state of the art in those respects + ergonomy, and has about the same power (the 346/2147 is the fastest, provided the wood isn't too large).

Dolmar PS-5100S is more powerful, but also heavier and slightly bulkier. With an 18" bar and full bar cuts, it is probably the best option, provided service and parts isn't a problem where you live.

Just forget everything else in the 3 cube class......

Last edited:
As much as the 5100 gets great reviews (and it is a nice saw), the 026/260 is a good well-proven and very reliable saw, and still after 18 years a very good seller. Sure.. an older design, but only in small increments... not the orders of magnitude you'd image by perusing the AS posts! If you want to save a few$$ there are plenty of them used, parts are cheap (used and aftermarket) and they are dead easy to fix if they do break. They also have the simplest muffler to mod of any saw!

prices

I called around today to get prices
I can get a 260p for around 420 with a 16 in bar add 20 for a 18 inch bar
I also found a makita 50 cc saw with a 18 inch bar for 325 are these good prices I want to make this a powerful saw things like muffler mods etc any one wanting to sell somthing that I might want please let me know

mrk585 said:
I called around today to get prices
I can get a 260p for around 420 with a 16 in bar add 20 for a 18 inch bar
I also found a makita 50 cc saw with a 18 inch bar for 325 are these good prices I want to make this a powerful saw things like muffler mods etc any one wanting to sell somthing that I might want please let me know
Unless you are really intent on buying new....a used 026/ms26 can usually be had for 1/2 the price in truely excellent condition. I used to buy them for about $175, but they now run around $250 around here, again in top used condition. And...parts are very available, both on ebay and at the local dealers. The PRO versions usually bring about 50 more, but if it for use around the home and cutting firewood you really don't need PRO features. The basic saw has the same powerhead sans decomp and adjustable oiler.:pumpkin2:

New saw

I am for the most part set on a New saw. I dont know what to think of the makita saw I dont have a dealer close by

mrk585 said:
I am for the most part set on a New saw. I dont know what to think of the makita saw I dont have a dealer close by

You've already got a Stihl and a Husqvarna. No sense adding another brand to the mix - then you'd have three dealers to deal with for three saws. Seems like extra work to me.

Good deal

I work @ fastenal we carry makita that why Im looking at them I can get the 50cc saw with an 18" bar for 325 but I never thought of going to 3 diffrent dealers thats a very good point

Latest posts

Back