I have a Partner 500 that will not start ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

attachment.php

OK, that's it. I want first dibs if you ever decide you want to get rid of any of these. Nice herd.:)

attachment.php

OK, that's it. I want first dibs if you ever decide you want to get rid of any of these. Nice herd.:)

You sure can Thanks for all the work with the pictures I bought my first 5000 plus in 84 my second in94 and I have put together the rest from parts. I have a few bases left so maybe some more some day I have 3 or 4 more.

Hey Jeff, what are you going to do with that extra closed port cylinder?:D Glad to see you figured it out. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Guess i wont private message anyone I have a few of you for some add info you mentioned in this thread because i get a return pm i guess it is but it dont say anythin i can see,guess i am dumb,.btw I have made a folder and cut and pasted many of your responces for future reference.Thanks

All I meant here is it makes me frustrated when I cannot figure somthing out .I know you guys are answering me but I did not see the answer thus the frustration. Now I think I have it figured out. I was expecting an e-mail responce but you guys were tellin me " just go back to the forum and the answer you asked for will be there" I think?

Last edited:
Guess i wont private message anyone I have a few of you for some add info you mentioned in this thread because i get a return pm i guess it is but it dont say anythin i can see,guess i am dumb,.btw I have made a folder and cut and pasted many of your responces for future reference.Thanks

An IPL is short for Illustrated Parts List. A manual or other that shows pictures of the parts and provides part numbers for that model of saw.

Jeffers, want to try that one again? I have read it several times and am unable to decipher it.

More than likely the OP had a closed port cylinder with an open port piston at 44mm:bang:
Should have recommended at least a new piston ring. The bore on the open port cylinder didn't look that clean either. Young guys always in a rush to getter goin...........me too!

Last edited:
He had a closed port cylinder with a solid (open port) piston. When he put the open port jug/cylinder on it vrooom. We all have been there, I once stripped the key off a flywheel. Pulled and pulled the cord and couldn't figure why I had NO spark and NO compression! Took days, look back, those were my first posts.

Jeffers, want to try that one again? I have read it several times and am unable to decipher it.

Sure I will try,I had private messaged a couple of people about some additional info they mentioned they knew about while answering questions in this thread.For instance one person said "according to my ipl this part comes as a,b,and c style" I did not know what an ipl was? so i pm'ed him .when i get the notification it always seems to say somthing like "see my post at this thread."
Now I have it figured out i think, the person chose to answer me in a responce on this thread ,I was expecting that I was contacting a persons private e-mail or somthing.I thought that I would get an e-mail responce or somthing.I am new to this site and dont know much about it.
As far as the (btw..by the way) portion of your question, I took all the helpfull suggestions that you guys made while trying to help me on this saw, and made a folder to keep your info in for future use if I ever need to refer to it again.

He had a closed port cylinder with a solid (open port) piston. When he put the open port jug/cylinder on it vrooom. We all have been there, I once stripped the key off a flywheel. Pulled and pulled the cord and couldn't figure why I had NO spark and NO compression! Took days, look back, those were my first posts.

Looking back at this thread you guys suggested the wrong combo early on to me.I just listened to the wrong person and formed the wrong opinion and ran with it.It all looks so obvious now.

More than likely the OP had a closed port cylinder with an open port piston at 44mm:bang:
Should have recommended at least a new piston ring. The bore on the open port cylinder didn't look that clean either. Young guys always in a rush to getter goin...........me too!

I had already thought of that I just needed to get on the right track first.Now that I know it will run well, I can put rings on as well,...Can I cylinder hone that cylinder?That photo was taken long before a good cleaning took place.

Jeff, I will give you an A+ for persistance. I usually stop after pulling them down for the third time. I will move on to another project and come back to it later.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your cylinder. I see the normal witness marks, but the piston and cylinder look ok. You can hone these cylinders, but it has to be done very judiciously or you will grind through the plating. If you don't have a hone, a dowel rod with a piece of 200 grit sand paper inserted in a split on the end will work. You could also use a Scotchbrite pad. You just need deglaze that cylinder unless there are deposits that you can feel. If you have transfer, muriatic acid or oven cleaner will work.

Back