I have a Partner 500 that will not start ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff, I will give you an A+ for persistance. I usually stop after pulling them down for the third time. I will move on to another project and come back to it later.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your cylinder. I see the normal witness marks, but the piston and cylinder look ok. You can hone these cylinders, but it has to be done very judiciously or you will grind through the plating. If you don't have a hone, a dowel rod with a piece of 200 grit sand paper inserted in a split on the end will work. You could also use a Scotchbrite pad. You just need deglaze that cylinder unless there are deposits that you can feel. If you have transfer, muriatic acid or oven cleaner will work.

Oven Cleaner I bet that would work ,I have heard of the acid treatment.Maybe it was you but someone told me to check the sqush tolerance.Using a piece of soldier,Put it in and angle towards where the wrist pin center of the piston would be becaues i used a homade gasket I cant emember but i think it was 20 or 25.000th what do you think

I do have another question; where is the best/ cheepest place to get 20" bar and chain combo,325 pitch 58 guage.I just priced on at a local parts /sales/outdoors store at $70.00 for the combo.The sell Sthl and that was probably Oregon bar and chain, I am going out to the shop to clean up the mess I have there so I will see ya in a while.Thanks Jeff

Such confusion lol

Jeff when we meet and were discussing the 5000 that I sold you remember I showed you the difference between open and closed port. And you asked if the 5000 pc would fit a 500. The key to that was you had to use them as a set. And remember that the 490 windowed piston discussion. If there was anything I can do to help give me a call. The saw that I sold you had the factory jug and piston that were in good shape did you swap that piston for use in your 500?

Yes I am sure the misunderstanding was all me,I put the 5000 closed port jug on the 500 while still using the 500 piston.As soon as i put on an open port jug all was good.Thanks for the help I guess I just have to write down everything people say to me so I dont have to trust my memory later on.

I don't think the vent had anything to do with your problem. Modern saws run with positive pressure on the tank to prevent fumes escaping. It squirting fuel when you disconnect it from the carb is pretty routine. As for the open port/closed port- 500's were OP, 5000's were OP, 5000+ were OP initially and then switched to CP (it might be that 5000's were initially OP and then switched to CP, and 5K+'s were all CP). I have it in some PM's from a pretty knowledgeable member). I have a couple of 5K+ CP. I'm glad you got your saw going. I love Partners, in many ways they were ahead of the field.

I also see you made your own gasket. You should check the squish (distance from the top of the piston to the cylinder at the periphery of the cylinder). It should be something greater than .018". You can toast the top of the piston with much less. You can use solder wire inserted through the plug hole and pushed against the cylinder wall. I check it along the wrist pin axis. If it is less than .020", I also check it 90° to those two measurements. Also, I believe a Husky 350 is a direct swap for the 500.

BTW, do you work for the gubbermint? You shore are wordy.

Murph I have sent you a pm about the results of my squish test but I got a message that you will not get this because you pm thing is already too full.Just thought i would tell ya.I have posted this in the stickies but dont think i should have put it there as I have not received any responces yet. Jeff

Latest posts

Back