I have a Partner 500 that will not start ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Lary

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have been putting together old junked out partners the last couple of days ,stuff that I have bought not running for 1 reason or another.The saw I am stumped about is a 500 I bought it for $20.00 all apart in a bag.The guy said his saw shop told him it just was not worth fixing ?so. I thought 20 bucks was cheep enough fot the parts so i bought it.I got looking at it today and decided to see if I could see what was wrong with it. It was really packed with oily saw dust everywhere. So I took the Flywheel off the base cleaned behind it and around the coil ,it was so packed full it was a wonder the coil could send electricity between it and the wheel.I put the jug and Piston back on,... the base gasket was a little rough but I cleaned it as best as it could be and put her together. I put the carb back on after I blew it out a little but i have to say that was the cleanest carb inside I have ever seen. Hooked up a spark plug and pulled it over and viola Bright Blue spark. I thought this will run I'll just squirt a little gas in the plug and carb. Well I did that and all it did was put put put but it would not run. I gave it some thought and figured that the base might be flooded so I pulled the plug and pulled her over 50 or so times. Still nothing, so I figured the base gasket might be the trouble but I could not figure out why the gas in the cylinder would not fire? So I pulled the jug and Piston changed them out and put some permatex on top of the old gasket and put her back together. Tried just starting as normal and no go so I put some gas in the cylinder and it started for maybe 5 sec. so I repeted it with a little more gas and this time I figured if it statred I would use my thumb to choke it to keep it running.Well it started and when I tried to put my thumb over the carb it accidently touched the plug wire and WOW that baby has some serious electricity ,man numbed my arm for 5 min. but putting more gas in the carb and cylinder again it still will not even run 5 sec again so I am lost dont know what to do next any suggestions?

Take the plug wire from one of your running saws and try it on this one. It just unscrews out of the top of the coil. Good place to start anyway. If it won't run on a prime, you obviously have ignition problems.

It has great spark, I touched the wire while it ran (about 5 seconds) by mistake while reaching for the carb and bout lifted me off the floor? I am lost on this but keep thinking I can use any help

Yes, it has great spark, but is it getting to the plug??

You shouldn't get a shock off the wire. I'm thinking the wire is bad is where I'm going with this. Change the plug too while you're at it.

Or change the plug first and see.

Well the spark i see is on the electrode of the plug ,and I am not positive if I touched the wire or the plug itself ,I really did not hang around and see what my finger grazed ,if ya know what I mean. I did try a diffrent plug plenty of fire on both. I can try a diffrent wire too I guess to see if that helps as well,

Last edited:
If it will run for 5 seconds on prime then you have a carb or fuel line problem. Or it could be an impulse vacuum problem. Need to look a little deeper.

Al.

It did run only a couple of time's about 5 sec each time but I primed it maybe 6 times?.But the last couple of times it would not run even on prime.I did however replace the fuel line. On this one the Impulse is a small plastic tit that inserts into the base in back of the carb .But the tit that goes into the base,goes into a hole that has a rubber lining.I have never seen this before it is to make sure the small plastic tit gets a good seal I guess?

If it will run for 5 seconds on prime then you have a carb or fuel line problem. Or it could be an impulse vacuum problem. Need to look a little deeper.

Al.

Maybe the old gasket is blocking the impulse hole? Did you use a new gasket when you had the carb off? If theres any crap in that little hole it won't pump fuel.

OK, you're on that, never mind.

Well let me add this as you ask things I will elaborate .The saw had no gasket so i made one from a thin piece of cardbord from a cereial box. (True Mainer)I have done this befor and I worked fine but that may not have worked this time.? But now we are maybe onto somthing,....If that gasket was indeed bad wouldnt it stll run on prime? I would think so but maybe not? As far as the small hole goes I cleaned it all off and blew it out w/air?

Well let me add this as you ask things I will elaborate .The saw had no gasket so i made one from a thin piece of cardbord from a cereial box. (True Mainer)I have done this befor and I worked fine but that may not have worked this time.? But now we are maybe onto somthing,....If that gasket was indeed bad wouldnt it stll run on prime? I would think so but maybe not? As far as the small hole goes I cleaned it all off and blew it out w/air?

You made a carb gasket? I thought my 500 got impulse through the carb gasket and body but it's been so long since I had it apart, I can't remember. Good saws I guess.

If you prime it with gas and it has spark, it should try to run regardless, yes. When it ran for 5 seconds, did it seem to be running right?

I guess I could tomorrow try a diffrent Coil wire and make a new gasket, at first i thought that well maybe the reason the orig owner did not get it fixed was it has a bad crank seal and the shop he took it too said that would be an expencive fix for him? but I can not get it to run long enough on prime to check that theroy out.

Yes the gasket is a very easy shape to make.and yes it has 4 holes in it ,2 for the bolts 1 for the throat and 1 very small for the impulse tit, sorry I was typing when you sent your last responce I cut out the shape with sisors and punch the holes with a coupel of papaer punchs 1 reg size 1 very small size

New crank seals aren't that big of a deal really. There's no chance you put the flywheel on wrong is there? I'm just thinking if it's out of time it would fire but not run right.

I think I'd check the key. And put a carb kit in it. You need one for a walbro WA. There should be a new intake gasket in the kit to save you making one.

Geese I hope your right !!! I could have knocked the key out i suppose and I could just change out the carb I have several.I just bought bearings and seals for a diffrent project but to be hones I am very nervous about trying it.I have never had the case apart on one.I know I can get the flywheel off but the worm gear side worries me I have no tool to remove that gear. As far as the gasket goes To be honest as I remember it one side of the cardbord is smoothe and fine the other had some ruff areas on it. the side towards the engine.

Geese I hope your right !!! I could have knocked the key out i suppose and I could just change out the carb I have several.I just bought bearings and seals for a diffrent project but to be hones I am very nervous about trying it.I have never had the case apart on one.I know I can get the flywheel off but the worm gear side worries me I have no tool to remove that gear. As far as the gasket goes To be honest as I remember it one side of the cardbord is smoothe and fine the other had some ruff areas on it. the side towards the engine.

That gasket could very well be giving you trouble. Try a different carb. Check the key first. I don't have a tool for those worm gears, you can usually get them off prying with screwdrivers very very carefully. Splitting a case for the first time is a bit nerve wracking, yes. Make SURE you got all the screws out.

I will try a diffrent carb and new gsaket I will also remove the flywheel and look at that as well And it did not seem to run as smooth as it should have ( " MAYBE ") I say that because it only ran 5 sec twice so I cannot be sure really.
But what really stumped me was this,....I primed the saw with great spark and it would not run?What do you suppose the first reason would have been to come to your mind knowing now all that I had done?

I will try a diffrent carb and new gsaket I will also remove the flywheel and look at that as well And it did not seem to run as smooth as it should have ( " MAYBE ") I say that because it only ran 5 sec twice so I cannot be sure really.
But what really stumped me was this,....I primed the saw with great spark and it would not run?What do you suppose the first reason would have been to come to your mind knowing now all that I had done?

The last time that happened to me, I had a buddies 028 apart. Carb kit and fuel lines. Wouldn't start. ####. It had spark. Tore the carb down and cleaned it again, no go. Took the flywheel off and checked the key, cleaned the points, no go. Put a new plug in it and it started right off. The old plug was getting bad I guess and firing enough so you could see spark, but it wouldn't run the saw.

You may have flooded it priming it. But I think it's something to do with your ignition.

This saw also has somthing I have never seen a small black box opposite from the on/off switch a wire goes from the coil to it and form it to the on/off switch.
But What has me stumped is the good fire? I am not ignoring you and I want to take the time to thank you for trying to help me .I will chase all thes things out .
But I cannot swap out the coil without buying a new one, I think I have about 6 salvaged coils but none include this small black box.in the wireing I think this is one of the newer 500's

Back