I have a Partner 500 that will not start ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well thats another question I put the old pistin and cylinder back on it but when I would not start I changed out the piston It looks good (?) looks ,......I do not have a way to check compression but i guess that should be done as well.I will have to take it some place to do that though. Wonder what they will charge me to do that.

Check by removing the ring from the piston and installing the piston correctly in the cylinder. Rock the piston back and forth, if there is any significant play you have issues. The piston, ring and/or the cylinder can not have any scoring/scratches that can be felt with a finger nail especially up high inside the cylinder near the spark plug hole.
Pictures can reveal alot and add to advice

Ok I can do that as well I guess.When you say install corectly what exactly do you mean? .On the top of the piston there is an arrow I have that pointed towards the exhaust? The piston movemant test this is done without the ring on the piston correct? If so wont the piston move quite a lot w/out the ring / I really have no Idea.

Arrow to exhaust, no piston ring. Piston should have no movement once you install it all the way in to the cylinder. Main thing is no scratches that can be felt with your finger nail inside cylinder or on piston/ring

ok I will check I am sure the piston has scratches though small but there. I say that just because there may be some it is not a new saw been used by god only knows who .Sorry if me saying that made you think you had just wasted your time. But just trying to be honest it was sold to me for $20.00 so I gotta be realistic I guess.

Last edited:
New crank seals aren't that big of a deal really. There's no chance you put the flywheel on wrong is there? I'm just thinking if it's out of time it would fire but not run right.

If you have the tool to remove the oiler, they aren't too bad. But, you need the oiler gear puller to get at the clutch side crank seal.

I put together a Jonsered 490, which I believe is the same saw and it had two key ways on the flywheel. Apparently for two different ignitions.

I put together a Jonsered 490, which I believe is the same saw and it had two key ways on the flywheel. Apparently for two different ignitions.

Now there's something to look at.

Well I am about ready to Give up.I came home today and went to the saw.First I brought the piston to TDC and looked at where the Flywheel magnets were in relation to the Coil poles ,..fine.But to be sure I removed the wheel to check the key ,...yup fine as well.Then on to the Coil I changed it out with one I had after finding out I could not get a new plug wire to screw on to that one ,just would not start on.So I changed the coil and ,...no fire reset the pole gap,... no fire.Turns out that with this saw having that small black ignition module it just would not accept the coils I had at least thats what I think.So I Put the orig Coil back in and checked the fire,... it is as Bright Blue as you have ever seen. So Good fire Next stop the Carb .I did not have a kit so I took it all apart Pump diaphram needle valve Hi/Lo jet screws top section as well then blew it all out w/ comp air.Put her all together with a new gasket I made from gasket material .Primed the cylinder and she started and run for 10 sec primed again same thing and over and over but if you touched the throttle it would immeadiately stall.Then it would not start at all. So then I rememberd a 500 carb that came on a saw i just bought that a tree fell on the saw so i put that running carb on the saw ,It will run 2 sec every time you pull it over but unless you remove the muffler it will not run.If you remove the muffler it will run but if you touch the throttle it dies. So I called a farm and garden sales place I have called before to get this certin persons advice.Oh one more thing I did take off the muffler and it would run then but still if you touched the throttle it would die and while it ran it was fogging the hell out of my right hand with fuel mist from the carb.Well I explained all this to him and he said it sounded flooded to him. I told him it would run every time I pulled it over for about (5,... put put put put's) when I told him about the muffler he said that when an engine is flooded that will help let the excess fuel escape but it could also mean that the piston or cylinder or both could be bad and that is where all the atomized gas form the carb was comming from .It was maybe leeking by the piston and being forced out the carb as a mist.So that's where I am now? What do you all think?

I think you need to stop pulling on the recoil. It hasn't started after how many tries? FIRST step is you need to analyze the cylinder, piston and ring and report back......... Bad idea making internal gaskets for a carburetor. Pretty sure the Walbro gasket repair kit is part number K10-WAT . Beg, borrow but don't steal a digital camera. Members can help you with pictures of your project. DON'T GET FRUSTRATED

I guess I was not real clear the gasket I made goes between the carb and the mounting plate.I have cameras but have never tried to post a photo here is it hard to to? And would a photo really help? It's just a 500 sitting on a bench? I forgot to talk about the piston and cylinder yea I guess the next step is a compression test.

Last edited:
I use photobucket for pictures. From photobucket it is very easy to post on this site. You could provide pictures of the piston. There are many clues to the condition of a saw that can be gleaned from pictures.
Just my .02

I'll post the pictures if you email them to me. Take one of the piston through the exhaust port. Take one of the carb gasket you made. Take a bunch if you want. PM me and I'll give you my email.

Something else, is the muffler plugged? Why would it run with the muffler off? Did you take it apart? Screen plugged? Weird.

Latest posts

Back