I have an 044 I don't know much about. advice needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kurtz

kurtz

ArboristSite Lurker
I found a bunch of parts that were my dad's that would almost make a complete stihl 044 10mm I believe. The piston looks real bad. (I forgot to take a pic of that. I will as soon as I can.) The rest of the odds and ends are there. It looks like it has extra wires for hand warmers. I guess where i'm at is I was going to buy a 441c-m, but they don't have the arctic package which is awesome to have in WI, so then i found these parts and I started throwing the idea around of 044/460 hybrid. Is it possible to do that on a 10mm saw? Should i send it in and have that work done or should i sell what parts i can and buy a 441c-m and better gloves? hopefully the pics work.View attachment 307898View attachment 307900View attachment 307916

50blues

50blues

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
On fleabay you can get around $150-200 for the parts. If the cylinder is usable you can rebuild the 044 for under half of that and have a good saw. If its a 12mm you can put a big bore 046 kit on it or find a used 046 and make it fit, but either way that will cost a lot more.

lots of choices.