I have created a monster!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevSauce

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok, so after a bit of aftermarket refinery from my Canadian friends, here is the finished product (I am considering adding a muffler port, any thoughts on that?)-

kmerszei

So I am most curious about chains...
I have a preference toward STIHL chains even though I am not a fan of their saws... On this 28" inch, 3/8, .050 what would you folks recommend as far as STIHL chains? I believe the one on it is an RSK...

Stihl Chain is the best there is right now. RSC, RSF (skip) are great for all around use. I haven't tried any square RSLK yet

"Ive created a monster! As if no one wants to see Marshall no more they want Shady on chopped liver! Well if you want Shady this is what I'll give ya...."

A tisket a tasket, I'll go tit for tat with anybody who's talking this... wait, I'll get banned if I keep this up.

How do those newfangled bucking spurs work?

I have never used any other ones that big, so as far as I am concerned they work as good as any... spikes are spikes though, whether they have 3 teeth and some funky design (like these) or the more classic 5-6 teeth "jaws" design like STIHL and Husky use...

I have never used any other ones that big, so as far as I am concerned they work as good as any... spikes are spikes though, whether they have 3 teeth and some funky design (like these) or the more classic 5-6 teeth "jaws" design like STIHL and Husky use...

They just look different is all.
Thanks

:cheers:

If you HAVE to have a monster...................THAT is a good one to have.

As for Stihl chain RSC is real good and if you can (or want to learn to) sharpen square ground the RLSK is killer in clean wood!!!

I like the bucking dawgs on the dolmars better than any because they slip down in the cut easier without getting hung in rough bark. As a rule, I hate them all though.

Mike

Rep sent for the full wrap I like ALOT!!! will have to order myself one for mine

Very nice! Congrats! I've got one that kind of resembles that. I haven't received my HD air cleaner yet I ordered from Bailey's last week. I don't have a great picture but here is mine:

0501100949a.jpg

Muffler

Kev, it looks like the muffler mounts by having bolts go through a couple of tubes in the muffler. If so, they will make a nice clean muffler mod for the saw.

You can drill small holes in from the side of the muffler and then drill into the side of the bolt tube (starting the drill hole in a punch mark from a sharp nail). Get a Dremel bit and open up the sides of the tubes so that they are a little bit bigger than the openings on the front of the muffler. Make the holes in the tubes a bit longer than wider. Then braze up the holes on the side of the muffler.

I put my outside holes behind the crimp in the muffler. You can't see them when the muffler is mounted on the saw.

By putting the holes in the tubes on the side opposite the exhaust port, the exiting sonic wave will not go straight out the tubes - the muffler will be quieter.

If you shine a light down the inside of the tubes while you are working with the Dremel to make the tube holes bigger, you can easily monitor the progress of your work.

I ran the snot out of my BB'd 6400 the last couple of days, in everything from burnt-up oak to rotten alder, including some 40"+ fir and pine, and it just pulls like there's no tomorrow. I have only run my 460 a couple of times this week, mostly out of sympathy. The 260 still gets plenty of love, though. Gonna try to pull a round for display out of a downed 60"+ pine tomorrow. It might not be in good enough shape for display -- it's been on the ground a couple of years. We'll see when I get there. Not worried about the saw, though. It'll cut fine.

Back