I Have Sinned, but am Saved by the Sea Foam

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CacaoBoy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
More times than I can count I have read here "thou shalt not put stale fuel in thy chainsaw." I believe that is the First Commandment at the Church of the Holy Saw.

But, I thought, the old mix had stabilizer added, and there is just a wee little bit left in the can, so if I cut quickly it will be gone before the saw gods see my sin.

So in it goes to the new saw. And no problem, the saw runs good and strong. Until suddenly it didn't after about 15 minutes. Not a single sputter of warning, the saw just stops and will not start for anything. Busted.

So I drained the Satan's piss from the saw and put in fresh gas mixed with genuine high-priced Stihl oil, figuring that a little bit of holy fuel in the carburator would cure it. But it still would not fire. Whether trying to start with choke on or off the sparkplug came out wet with fuel so I knew it was seriously flooding. I kept trying off and on for two days in the hope the fresh fuel by itself would be sufficient. Nothing.

Now I am not much of a believer in miracles. Oh, PB Blaster has been an exception when it comes to frozen nuts and bolts from hell. And Sea Foam has saved more than one carburator that had strayed from the path of righteousness.

So a little splash of Sea Foam goes in the saw's gas tank. Of course, it still won't start, but I know that I need to get the foamed fuel into the carburator so it can go to work. So pull the starter cord several time, pull the spark plug and dry it, replace the plug, and repeat. And wait a few hours and try it again. About 24 hours after first adding the Sea Foam, the saw sputtered and ran for a few seconds. So give it more time to work. Another 24 hours and the saw started and stayed running. And then went to work for a couple hours of hard cutting with nary a complaint, consistently starting on the first pull. Hallelujah. I shall sin no more.

But why is the stuff named after frothy salt water?

Sea Foam has also saved my bacon on several occasions with chainsaws, lawnmowers and other small engines whose carbs were starting to get gummed up. If you can get some of the Sea Foamed fuel into the carb bowl, 99 times out of 100, it will free it up in a day or two.

In your case, though, I have to say I'm a bit surprised that the fuel somehow made it through the filter yet still somehow gummed up the works inside of a single day.

BTW, if you like PB Blaster, try Kroil sometime. (Or a 50-50 mix of ATF and acetone, if the parts in question can handle the acetone...)

More times than I can count I have read here "thou shalt not put stale fuel in thy chainsaw." I believe that is the First Commandment at the Church of the Holy Saw.

But, I thought, the old mix had stabilizer added, and there is just a wee little bit left in the can, so if I cut quickly it will be gone before the saw gods see my sin.

So in it goes to the new saw. And no problem, the saw runs good and strong. Until suddenly it didn't after about 15 minutes. Not a single sputter of warning, the saw just stops and will not start for anything. Busted.

So I drained the Satan's piss from the saw and put in fresh gas mixed with genuine high-priced Stihl oil, figuring that a little bit of holy fuel in the carburator would cure it. But it still would not fire. Whether trying to start with choke on or off the sparkplug came out wet with fuel so I knew it was seriously flooding. I kept trying off and on for two days in the hope the fresh fuel by itself would be sufficient. Nothing.

Now I am not much of a believer in miracles. Oh, PB Blaster has been an exception when it comes to frozen nuts and bolts from hell. And Sea Foam has saved more than one carburator that had strayed from the path of righteousness.

So a little splash of Sea Foam goes in the saw's gas tank. Of course, it still won't start, but I know that I need to get the foamed fuel into the carburator so it can go to work. So pull the starter cord several time, pull the spark plug and dry it, replace the plug, and repeat. And wait a few hours and try it again. About 24 hours after first adding the Sea Foam, the saw sputtered and ran for a few seconds. So give it more time to work. Another 24 hours and the saw started and stayed running. And then went to work for a couple hours of hard cutting with nary a complaint, consistently starting on the first pull. Hallelujah. I shall sin no more.

But why is the stuff named after frothy salt water?

That don't mean the saw is fix and just use it from now....
HarleyT is right. You have to take the carburetor of from the saw and do a good cleaning. Don't blow compress air, use carb cleaner.
And after that you can sock the parts in Sea Foam.
Good luck

Probably just flooded and letting it sit fixed it.

How old was the fuel? Several years?

no substitute for pulling the carb apart and properly cleaning it. Ten hail mary's.....or whatever. When I was a kid in Catholic ruled South Louisiana we kneeled and prayed on dried rice.........it got the point across. Gimme your address and I'll send ya some rice and carb cleaner.

Probably just flooded and letting it sit fixed it.
That’s funny. When I flood a saw, I just put it on fast idle (or whatever you call it) and pull the cord until it fires... I’ve never had to “let it sit” to “fix it”. But I’m not a real saw mechanic, either.

"Don't blow compress air, use carb cleaner."

Why shouldn't you use compressed air to clean carb parts (other than the fact that it will blow tiny parts off into Never-Neverland)? Is there some other reason? Just wondering because I have always done this.

"Don't blow compress air, use carb cleaner."

Why shouldn't you use compressed air to clean carb parts (other than the fact that it will blow tiny parts off into Never-Neverland)? Is there some other reason? Just wondering because I have always done this.
If your carb has any check valves (some have 2), hi pressure compressed air can blow the little rubber flap right out of them. No more check valve, with serious effect on how the saw runs.

Seafoam = 1/3 alcohol, 1/3 Naptha (Coleman fuel), 1/3 Mineral Spirits (paint thinner/SafetyKleen).
You can look it up on the MSDS.
Mix your own, it's cheaper. Leave out the alcohol if you're trying to solve alcohol-related problems.

Thanks for the tip, Old2Stroke.

Seafoam = 1/3 alcohol, 1/3 Naptha (Coleman fuel), 1/3 Mineral Spirits (paint thinner/SafetyKleen).
You can look it up on the MSDS.

Since I'm a big fan of homebrew alternatives to expensive products, I did. The MSDS I found said it contains a "trade secret" "hydrocarbon blend" ... which covers everything from methane to asphalt. Not sure how you're getting 1/3 white gas and 1/3 MS...

Perhaps I misunderstood the question.

Sea foam and several other products DO clean fuel systems of deposits. I usually try this approach first, then start tearing stuff apart if there is no improvement.

I did. The MSDS I found said it contains a "trade secret" "hydrocarbon blend" ... which covers everything from methane to asphalt. Not sure how you're getting 1/3 white gas and 1/3 MS...
I'm a retired mechanic. I looked it up 15(?) years ago when looking for a good product for cleaning (like Techron).
Apparently, Mineral Spirits have morphed into "trade secret" "hydrocarbon blend."
The MSDS has changed, probably because people like me wouldn't keep their mouth shut about it.

Latest posts

Back