I hope we're half way tru winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have burned about 2 cords so far and should have enough seasoned wood to last the winter out.....Of course we didn't start the winter with enough and I was out cutting dead standing trees in Dec..

Been working on 2011 winter supply......Maybe have half ......I hope to cut about double what I have now .......I plan on doing a little at a time as I have the time until it gets to hot to cut.

I still have more than half left of what I planned to use this year. If it gets really bad, I'll go to the farm and bring a cord or two home. Be fun gettin to it but it's there if I need it.

Rob

I'm probably at least two years ahead on my wood, but I only burn between 2 and 3 cords/year. I'm not home as much as most folks. I did get a more modern wood stove this year (tax credits, you know) that is definitely more miserly on the wood. Cutting more than you think you need is a pretty good policy. You never know when you'll be out of commission for a spell.

I'm on track to burn my normal 6-7 cords.
We had an early start up here and I've seen several days below zero with a few in that 28 below range.

wood

We have used about 1/2 of our bone dry oak, have about two cords left. Have about 5 cords in the yard witch is a mix of green and dry oak, mostly dry.We should be good for next year also.

I'm a bit of a slacker also.I've only had 1 fire this season that I started Nov. 1st

I think I'll make it with enough to get me a good start on next years wood.
I hear you man,I kinda had the 1 fire thing going like 22 years now.
The old hardy don't burn much may tru sept but makes up for it jan-feb.

used too much

I'm a cord past where I thought I might be at. Do not like this, it has been excessively cold for here. My cabin isn't ours, I'm just a squatter and sharecropper, this came with the gig. It has crap for insulation, a very not well done 3 inches in the attic (yep, that's all), and the walls have zero, just planks on the outside, some tongue and groove on the inside, which is then covered with some rank 70s looking cheapo paneling.

Old antique rough wood construction used a lot of decent wood, this is heartpine, really stout and tough, but just dead air space that leaks like crazy for the "insulation". If it was mine, I would have long ago torn down the outside planks and insulated it from the outside. No way do I want to tear down the inside paneling and tongue and groove to do it.

anyway, I had a cord and half of "extra" cut and stacked that is "seasoned enough", looks like I will be hitting it by the end of the month. Hopefully that will last until warmer spring weather. Ye aulde lady mostly sits inside during the winter and stokes the stove..a lot of days if it was just me I'd let it go out during the day, but she is gettin a little on in years same as me and real thin and just can't handle the cold very well at all.

I'm trying-shooting for- two years in advance now all the time. I'll just keep cutting and splitting until I get there (and then keep going from there.., thre years in advance, four years..whatever, stacked wood is like money in the bank). Right now it is just too darn muddy to get down to where I cut. It's right at the point it is a toss up, chance it and get stuck, or maybe make it. Stuck tractors suck to get out, so I will just wait. Even if I did make it, don't want to carve huge deep ruts across the pasture. Might just slog down there carrying a full fueled and oiled up saw and cut and let it lay there until it dries up more. As long as it is down and cut, heck, it can "season in place". I've got proly a cord cut up laying around to be picked up and brought back, then two whopper hickory logs to still cut onto chunks, and the remnants of a hugemongous oak I cut down a few years ago. That bad boy still got more than a cord in it, but I was waiting on getting a much bigger saw and larger bar to tackle it. I think it is around 40 inches thick and..hmm..12 feet or so long, maybe more. Proly more, seems I marked off in my head before better than a dozen 16 inch rounds from it to go. I know I can only haul back three rounds at a time from that log, feels the same on the back of the tractor as a big round bale, 3/4 ton, just lift the front up if I don't go slow and have a steep creek to cross so i don't push it. That wood that I burned so far was most excellent. Hard to split but threw some real decent heat. It's all I could do with those chunks to kinda sorta pry bar them up, roll them to the cargo box and flop them in, heavy dudes. Maybe I will noodle them up this next time now that I have a larger saw to use.

I have used 1/2 my wood pile but now I am down to my good seasoned oak. Just to be safe I ordered a bundle of slab oak( almost a cord) for $20 if i cut it and bring it inside it will be ready if I run out of my other wood and i hope that will only be when I am down to only a fire at night and letting it burn out during the day.. I did not use any oil for heat yet this year so I want to keep it that way. I have 2 cords cut split and stacked for next year so far I just wish I could store more wood so I could get 2 years ahead.

We are slightly more than half way through our wood supply for the season we have at the house. There is more at the cabin but it is snowed in.

We even allowed for much more extra this season or for next season,good thing we did. However we did not count on the fireplace problems. Lennox sent new hinges in Sept. to replace defective hinges that had caused excessive gap between door and door frame, however the new hinges were also defective & actually made the problem worse. They now think problem is door & hinges and everything is on hopeless backorder. Meanwhile we are burning wood like there is an endless supply.:pissed-off:

Last season we used 2.5 cords, so far we have used 2.2 cords this season.

OOOHHHHH.....I'm screwed. LOL!!!

Started off good. Then kinda got generous with the woodpile and shorted myself.

Just moved the last of the seasoned Cherry back here, and we might make Mid Feb. before going to half seasoned stuff that was cut in the early fall.
If we get a mid Jan Thaw, I'll get at some EAB standing dead ash to fillthe gap.

Got a nice pile of green rounds going, but it's not gonna be enough.
Last year there was no end of folks looking for clearing, this year, they expect you to pay them to clean out thier wind rows LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I work as a welder on the road all the time and I haven't been home much in the last 5 years. I always had a winter supply of seasoned wood for me to burn when I was home. This year I didn't take into consideration that I was working close and staying at home. I have been out of seasoned wood for 2 weeks and have been burning green wood. I have enough wood I cut this summer to make it through this winter but I have to pay special attention to the chimney. I am already working on next years wood and have about 1 1/2 cords cut so far.

I've gone thru more so far than at this point last winter, not bone-chilling cold, but cold and windy...got plenty tho, and started knocking down some standing trees for next winter while the sap is low.

I've only burned about 1/3 of my seasoned wood. And already have more than enough cut for next winter. :D Need to cut enough for my folks for nest season too. I hate to run out of dry wood!

Spring is fishin time, so I should be done messin with wood by end of March...

Last edited:
yep. my wood is going fast too. but i prolly be able to make it through with the cured stuff. meanwhile i've tasked myself to get way ahead of the curve. aim to have next years wood cut and split by april. prolly won't make it though. in any case i'll just keep cutting. can't see any reason for my wood to not be gray with age.

used too much

Yup, just like most of you guys, I too used up more than I thought I would have up to this point. Probably 6 out the 12 cords I put aside for heat. But, and there's always a but, I forgot about the uninsulated green house that we keep warm for the early vegatables and plants that we set out in the garden in the spring. It's part of the farm business and I will have to plan better for next season. Most likely will need 15 to 16 cords to get me through. I've got a couple of cords blocked up and ready to split but with 8 to 10 inches of snow every couple of days I can't find my splitter or the inclination to sit down and split it up just yet. Being retired does have its advantages. I'll just sit here with a cool brew, watch the snow and wait for you guys to tell me it's safe to go back outside again. What we need is a reminder calendar to let us know how much wood we need to have put away by the begining of each month for the next season, that way none of us will have an excuse for being without enough wood come next Feb or Mar.

It's been steady cold here with a dose of really cold thrown in, looking at -10 for a low on Friday with a high of 10 so my little Lopi has been eating the wood as fast as I can throw it in. I'm afraid I'll have to hit the wood bank and find some standing dead red elm to get me by as I have burned 2/3 of my stock.

I never seem to get enough cut so I end up buying some. I have an Olix air-Flo that burns wood and coal. When the basement was unfinished I used to burn more coal than wood. When we finished our basement off I decided that I would burn just wood because of the dust involved with the coal.
Well I thought I would give coal another shot when I realized that I would run out of wood around mid February.
I started burning the coal about 1 1/2 weeks ago and to be honest, I like it, a lot.
The dust hasn't been that bad at all. I think my ratio of wood and coal will change
to about 50/50 for next year, saving the coal for the colder months.

stoveclosed.jpg

Kevin

Back