I just don't seem to understand this...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Back in the Summer, I talked to my neighbor down the alley and noticed that his woodpile which usually is loaded was very sparse. I asked him "aren't you going to burn wood this Winter?" and he told me that he had a deal to get wood from someone but it fell through, so I hooked him up with a guy that basically would have let him haul tons of good stuff out for free, but he never followed up on that either. Tonight, I saw him bringing wood in and he tells me that he had to buy wood and of course it isn't seasoned so he's splitting it smaller and trying to dry it stoveside. He's around my age (50), has no major health issues, has the truck and saws, but I guess he's lost that "spark" to hump wood anymore. It's his business and he can do what he wants, but I sure hope that I don't get hit with that disease anytime soon....

Woodsman.......

Some people just loose their ambition for whatever reason. Maybe he just doesn't have the desire to go out and bust his hump, sometimes that happens, or maybe he has some aches and pains he's trying to work thru and is embarrassed to tell anyone whats going on.

Not making excuses for him or anyone, but usually if someone had the spark and lost it theres good reason! Usually you don't "get" lazy after a time, work ethic is work ethic, either you have it or you don't.

In today's world you can tell very quickly who has the spark and who doesn't. The ones who don't have the spark have no business begging or mooching of the ones that do!

Craig

I have a brother in law that is sort of like that, I invite him to get wood with me and a buddy, my buddy and I did all of the cutting and loading, as soon as my brother in law's truck was full he left. then he asked if he could rent my splitter for $20.
Next time he comes he can cut his own wood, and load it himself.

Maybe he just doesn't have the desire to go out and bust his hump, sometimes that happens, or maybe he has some aches and pains he's trying to work thru and is embarrassed to tell anyone whats going on.

You may be right. I remember someone telling me that he had ankle problems if I remember correctly; I believe I asked him about it quite awhile back but he said it wasn't an issue. Perhaps it was/is and he just doesn't want to discuss it like you said. But he does work around the house quite a bit, so I don't think that he is lazy. In fact, before last year he even probably had more wood stacked up than I did. I just hope that he's okay, as he still has the desire to burn wood. It just bothers me to see him using unseasoned wood when he could've had dry primo stuff-oh well...

can buy eight cords, unspit rounds for $600 delivered, I'd spend nearly that in gas with the way fuel prices are going, it has to be close to home even free

My back would really like me to quit...I have not given in to it yet, but it may force me too soon...

Feel bad for the guy. Really bad.

How many do you know that can say they busted their a$$es, sweat, broke their painted fingernails :clown:, pulled a groin trying to start a saw @ -5 F, dropped a butt on a boot, barely missed buying the farm when that widowmaker kissed their bean, and all the other whines we do getting in firewood that just happens to warm those same a$$es ?

Hey, we're fortunate to be able to do the WoodPiles.

FYI: we're now cozy beside the 2 stoves. Downeast is socked in with 16" of gale blown snow, temps shooting down to south of zero. My wood is in--long time ago. My groin hurts.:beat-up: And, bone man says it's time for a new hip ( shoulda had you taxpayers do it awhile ago ). Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

around here its just called the obama plan... get lazy and let the government provide for ya.

Hey, let's all go back to the good ol' GW Bush days! He sure was a good'un! Mission Accomplished! Good Job, Brownie! Anybody lies in my admin, they're fired. Oh, here's a pardon, Scooter! Damned WMD's, they gotta be here somewhere! Bring'em on! Yeah, where's all that leadership when you need it?

The heat bill after this cold snap, will likelly cure any laziness.
Then again maybe his 'Ol lady put the kibosh on the burning...some gals get fussy about the smell of smoke in thier hair. Ya never know.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back