I killed the only Stihl I ever liked

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rx7man

Cattle Rubbing Post
Reaction score
Killed my 064 today.. Was using it last week and it was just fine, today I pick it up, fire it up and it rattles and dies.
Take it apart, the lower ring broke and got mashed into the top of the piston pretty good.. Top ring is stuck in the groove. There's no sign of the ring snagging on the transfer port or anywhere else.. No scorching anywhere, lots of oil on everything.

Guess I'm going to have to keep an eye out for parts now.. I might be able to salvage the jug if I can clean up the squish band

Are your locator pins still there?
If they are then the foreign object damage had to come from somewhere.
Is your spark arrestor screen still there?
They keep sand and things from getting in too.
I'd check the lower rod race and the crank bearings very closely for damage.
I just had a lower rod take a crap last week on a K970 Husqvarna. Luckily I had several spares.

I've had it apart before, locator pin is still there, no sign of a missing rod bearing needle or anything. I've seen the damage from a bearing cage coming apart on my 394, nothing like it here.. no mark on the piston or jug that would indicate something jammed up in there... Spark screen is good.. Kinda funny it did it right at startup and ran perfectly (good power, no bottom end noise) last time

That happened to my V8 mack 500 once. End of the day,getting ready to grease and fuel up,but my brother was leaving to head back home and i wanted to talk to him,truck was running fine i shut it off to hear him better.Fired it up a few minutes later and it made a strange noise.Shut it back down.
Investigation showed one of the valve stems sitting higher.Some how dropped the valve seat and got crunched.
One new piston and rebuilt head,and rolled in some new bearings while the pan was off.
Still running,but the cab is done.

Are your locator pins still there?
If they are then the foreign object damage had to come from somewhere.
Is your spark arrestor screen still there?
They keep sand and things from getting in too.
I'd check the lower rod race and the crank bearings very closely for damage.
I just had a lower rod take a crap last week on a K970 Husqvarna. Luckily I had several spares.

Removing those is the first thing I do with any new chainsaw (if it has one), They "steal" about 20% of the exhaust area, which usually is on the small side to start with - and it gets much worse if they aren't kept clean.

Sorry for the derail Rx7, just had to post this when spark arrestors were mentioned...

My saw had a completely homemade muffler (it came with none at all), and I made a very large internal screen on it.. nothing was getting by it
shyte happens.. and it's not a great loss to me (saw was a freebie), and it's not like I don't have CAD and am short of saws.... but it was the only stihl I enjoyed running yet

Killed my 064 today.. Was using it last week and it was just fine, today I pick it up, fire it up and it rattles and dies.
Take it apart, the lower ring broke and got mashed into the top of the piston pretty good.. Top ring is stuck in the groove. There's no sign of the ring snagging on the transfer port or anywhere else.. No scorching anywhere, lots of oil on everything.

Guess I'm going to have to keep an eye out for parts now.. I might be able to salvage the jug if I can clean up the squish band
I have that one I removed from service due to slight radial play in crank bearings before the seat
got damaged,offers?

You wanted that 181 SE basketcase? :p I'll give you a call sometime.. I don't know if I'll be coming out that way in the near future

Removing those is the first thing I do with any new chainsaw (if it has one), They "steal" about 20% of the exhaust area, which usually is on the small side to start with - and it gets much worse if they aren't kept clean.

Sorry for the derail Rx7, just had to post this when spark arrestors were mentioned...
Where I live, if you remove your spark arrestor the mud daubers will move in.Wasp-spray1-225x300.jpg

Around here we do have mud daubers as well, but they've never gone into that kind of stuff.. Now leaf cutter bees on the other hand LOVE to plug stuff up.. I had a gas powered tractor that ran like a pile of crap for a year, if it didn't run pig rich it didn't run at all.. Finally, after a couple hours of fiddling with the carb, I found the problem.. The float bowl vent tube was plugged SOLID from the leaf cutter bees.. so if the float bowl was empty, the air had no place to go, so it would push the fuel out of the jet instead, making it so the float could never actually rise and close off the flow of fuel!
I had a propane transfer hose they plugged solid, as well as radiator cores, etc..

Do you mean that the radial play causes the bearings to become loose in their pockets from hammering?
Do you mean that the radial play causes the bearings to become loose in their pockets from hammering?
Blsnelling knows more about why, I just know the symptoms before the damage is beyond repair

I have heard of that issue before - but never experienced anything like it.

Guy here said that he couldn't get his grass trimmer started after sitting a while and wanted me to come look at it.

Pulled it over and could hear that the muffler was clogged. Sure enough, looked inside and it was completely clogged with mud. Removed the muffler, washed it out, and it started right up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back