I know, its like beating a dead horse

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to work up to the 3 saw plan.

If you're already looking at the infamous 3-saw-plan, skip the 361. There's no place for a 59cc saw in that plan. A 3 saw plan spanning the range is 50-70-90. If your small saw is sufficient to fill the 50cc category for now, then look to filling the 70cc slot. If Stihl is your choice of labels, eyeball the MS441 or the MS460. It might feel like you're holding a small block chevy since you're used to the little craftsman, but one afternoon of cutting will get you acquainted and it won't seem so big.

Ian

Last edited:
If I could offer you any advice it would be don't be closed minded to only one brand just for dealer support. I love Stihl saws and they had been all I ran until I came to this site. Get on some of the other manufacturers websites and do dealer searches. You may have dealers closer than you think. Before I ended up with my 660 I tried a Husky 395 which I did not like. I then found a Dolmar 7900 which replaced my Stihl 441. Generally speaking Stihl is the most expensive brand out there. The 7900 costs less, is lighter, and has alot more power. Every saw class has a saw that kind of dominates. Not one manufacturer dominates all classes. The 361 is a great saw by the way. Have fun and welcome to being a chainsaw addict.:chainsaw:

I have the 361...I love that saw. It runs better, faster than anything I have ever used including my Dad's old farmboss he had years ago.

Of course you could go bigger, but to me, if you are just getting this house with the wood stove, and have smaller saws, this will become your special prize saw as soon as you run it. It certainly will be one you will never part with no matter how big you eventually go.

Besides, it is said it cures cancer, slows the aging process among other things and even has been known to show itself on pancakes at Denny's!

I personally think it helps you drink more beer when you are done cutting... but that is just my observation.

My vote for you is to get to that dealer and pick up your new 361 baby and enjoy! :cheers:

It will make you other saws seem like this... :chainsaw:

and your new 361 will be like this.... :greenchainsaw:

cheers and welcome to the site.

:agree2:

The only Stihl I "push" is the MS361, and for good reasons!

Perfect allround saw, at least here! :clap::clap:

WOW!!! Sawtroll and I finally agree on something!!!!:clap::clap:

I think Niko will also agree with me that Shindaiwa's are the way to go otherwise!! Very underated, don't you think?!?!!?:poke:

:cheers:
Mike

I would rather over-buy than under-buy, and the $90 difference isn't that big of deal.

If thats true then buy the 361. Its a better built saw, made with more aluminum and more beefy than the 310. Sidenote,Why mess with the 310. The 390 is built on the same chassis with bigger engine.:)

MITCHELL, RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!! 6 months ago I was just a normal guy like you who stumbled onto this site and didn't know I would be brainwashed into losing it all to chainsaw addiction!

Last week I sold the family car to a pawn shop so I could buy a small block chevy attached to a chainsaw bar! GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!!

(Go with the 361. You will not regret it!):cheers:

I bought the 310 and the 361.I muffler modded the 310 and it had good power but the 361 will out run it easily still stock. Go for the 361!!!

Hi guys, new member(first post). Been reading around the site for a few days. We're buying a house with a wood stove, old fashioned cast iron, no blower or anything. I'm going to buy a new saw, most likely Stihl due to dealer support. I see the ms361 looks to be a popular choice. Looking at Stihl's website, I also see the ms310. Its falls into the midrange, and the 361 into professional range. Is there a big difference in these 2 saws, they seem to spec out fairly close? I would rather over-buy than under-buy, and the $90 difference isn't that big of deal. I have a 12-15 year old craftsman/poulan that I'll use as my smaller saw till it dies, and I plan on buying a couple different bar sizes to go with my new saw. I'll have to work up to the 3 saw plan. Also, do any of the creosote removing "logs" have any value? I know if theres a problem, they most likely can't fix it, but do they work as a maintenance plan or anything? Thanks for all and any help and comments.

$90 difference between that 310 and 361? Shouldnt there be a bigger price difference. Either one is a steal or your paying too much for the other. Whats the difference between that 390 and the 361?

Last edited:
359 husky is the 361s only competition. i wish i had 361 so that i could tell you its not cancer cureing or all its cracked out to be, maybe id be wrong?

359 is much better saw then 310

look for the youtube vid husquvarna stihl filter demonstration, youl be amazed.

359 is light weight good power and very low vibes, it might be better than the 361. runs bars 16" to 24" in stock form. cost is 500-520, used they go for 200-450. it sure be worth checkn them out

The biggest difference is that the 310 is a throw away saw, when it breaks you just throw it away. The 361 is a pro saw and when it breaks you rebuild it. Out of those two I would pick the 361 any day but in reality I would save a little money and buy the Husqvarna 359. In my opinion it's the best deal out there. Good luck on whatever decision you make.

:agree2:

The only Stihl I "push" is the MS361, and for good reasons!

Perfect allround saw, at least here! :clap::clap:
Come on admit it.
It is the closest Stihl to being a Jred/Husky! It does not vibrate and give you that tingle in the arms and hand and it has snappy RPM and power band. Not slow and sluggish 1970s style power. Now if they made a 70+ cc saw like that without the big A** Stihl would be on to something But alas the 441 has a fat A**.
Someday I will get a 361 or 341 and. Ah never mind I will stick to my modded 2159 for now:)
Just having some fun they are a nice saw the 361 But they are boxy and the colours don't match the truck.

359 husky is the 361s only competition. i wish i had 361 so that i could tell you its not cancer cureing or all its cracked out to be, maybe id be wrong?

359 is much better saw then 310

look for the youtube vid husquvarna stihl filter demonstration, youl be amazed.

359 is light weight good power and very low vibes, it might be better than the 361. runs bars 16" to 24" in stock form. cost is 500-520, used they go for 200-450. it sure be worth checkn them out
Actually it's the 357, is the only comp in stock form. Out of the shop it is hard to beat a 361 in 60cc class! I cant believe I said that! I will go with my, But But it's ugly? But then beauty is in the eye of the beholder.But then I was not able to tell any diff between a 2159&2156 running them at the dealer in 10'' wood?
But the paper numbers are close with a 361 and 357/2156.

Last edited:
Come on admit it.
It is the closest Stihl to being a Jred/Husky! It does not vibrate and give you that tingle in the arms and hand and it has snappy RPM and power band. Not slow and sluggish 1970s style power. Now if they made a 70+ cc saw like that without the big A** Stihl would be on to something But alas the 441 has a fat A**.
Someday I will get a 361 or 341 and. Ah never mind I will stick to my modded 2159 for now:)
Just having some fun they are a nice saw the 361 But they are boxy and the colours don't match the truck.

I paid $475 for my new 359 last week?

Step away from the chainsaw - and nobody gets hurt...

A big welcome!

As a public service and to save you hours of research, I present the other lessons in the AS 10 step program (borrowed from joatmon)

Step 1: You'll learn to do without things you now consider neccesities so you have more money for saws and saw related paraphernalia.

Step 2: You'll learn how to identify "holes" in your saw lineup.

Step 3: You'll learn that you can't have too many saws, and, as a special bonus, you'll learn how to rationalize the affects of "CAD", AKA chainsaw acquisition disorder, to your family and friends.

Step 4: You'll learn how to buy saws like a pro, ie. eBay, tradin' post, pawn shops.

Step 5: You'll learn how to use a credit card to solve cases of "CED", AKA chainsaw envy disorder.

Step 6: You'll learn how how to pick companions based on their knowledge of chainsaws.

Step 7: You'll learn how to organize your "wall of bars".

Step 8: You'll learn how to buy 100 and 200 feet of chain at a time in order to save money. Advanced placement lessons include the special spinners and breakers lesson.

Step 9: You'll learn all the acronyms like RSC, LPX, XPG and CHAPS.

Step 10: You'll learn how to organize your life around GTGs where other "friends" will help convince you that you are normal.

A big welcome!

As a public service and to save you hours of research, I present the other lessons in the AS 10 step program (borrowed from joatmon)

Step 1: You'll learn to do without things you now consider neccesities so you have more money for saws and saw related paraphernalia.

Step 2: You'll learn how to identify "holes" in your saw lineup.

Step 3: You'll learn that you can't have too many saws, and, as a special bonus, you'll learn how to rationalize the affects of "CAD", AKA chainsaw acquisition disorder, to your family and friends.

Step 4: You'll learn how to buy saws like a pro, ie. eBay, tradin' post, pawn shops.

Step 5: You'll learn how to use a credit card to solve cases of "CED", AKA chainsaw envy disorder.

Step 6: You'll learn how how to pick companions based on their knowledge of chainsaws.

Step 7: You'll learn how to organize your "wall of bars".

Step 8: You'll learn how to buy 100 and 200 feet of chain at a time in order to save money. Advanced placement lessons include the special spinners and breakers lesson.

Step 9: You'll learn all the acronyms like RSC, LPX, XPG and CHAPS.

Step 10: You'll learn how to organize your life around GTGs where other "friends" will help convince you that you are normal.

I couldn't have said it better myself!!

Latest posts

Back