I Love my Wood Pile??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drive_1305

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im wondering if any of you guys are like me? I just love to see cut, split wood. I look at some of your wood piles and they look great to me-they just look wonderful. Every time I pass by my wood pile I just stop and look it over and go "ummm it looks good". Maybe Im sick in the head, but I think Im in love with my wood pile.

I don't cut a lot of wood just enough for campfires so I know its not much compared to some of your wood piles, but here's a couple of pics of mine(if I can post them). It only looks 2 stacks wide but its 3.

I think next fire I have I'll make it a big one so I'll burn it up faster. Then I'll get to cut and stack more! :chainsaw:

Last edited:
Wait until you get to the point where your wood pile starts to become suplemental to your heating bill in the winter $$$$$. You will really fall in love with it then.

Tom

One of the things that I enjoy in addition to looking at the woodpile is the different "aromas" that you can smell from it. When I'm splitting wood, I'll sometimes put a split piece up to my face and "breathe deeply"! My neighbors think I'm nuts, but they don't burn wood; you HAVE to be a woodburner to UNDERSTAND some of these things, eh?:laugh:

That's a very interesting table. First, yes I do think prices will top $3.00/gallon. Next, I interpret the table to say that anything less than $401/cord is money in the bank.

Since I still use oil as a back up, I receive an estimate at the beginning of the year on projected usage for the upcoming season. I usually start with that figure, subtract all but what I figure I'll actually buy (usually 5% of the estimated total), and start there with whatever expenses I incur with obtaining wood. I've never paid for wood, I have already covered the overhead in past years (truck, saws, splitter), and my "labor" is free as long as I enjoy it, although I haven't gone so far as to post a pic of my woodpile yet! So it usually amounts to a tank or two of gas for the old truck, a few gallons of bar oil, and maybe a few loops of chain. So my "savings" are rather substantial, and clearly gives me bragging rights over my neighbor who wears a lot of sweaters in the winter.

That table also presents a good marketing tool for someone selling firewood. As long as you can keep the price below $401 a cord, you can show your customers how much they are saving by purchasing from you.

TreeCo said:
Do you think fuel oil will be $3 per gallon this winter?

http://www.staywarmnh.org/fuelprices.htm

Absolutley, prepaid oil contracts in this area are at $2.75 a gallon with an extra $.20 a gallon tacked on if you want "downward protection".(cuz the price might go down,ha) Cash price is $2.50 right now at the height of summer. Glad I bought an outdoor wood boiler this spring.

To stay on topic, I don't have any wierd attractions to firewood piles.:D

Love my woodpiles? No, but appreciate the 'potential energy' for heat and get satisfaction (almost pride) from the work that builds the piles? For sure. Looking foreward to a few winter Sunday afternoon naps in the Lazy-boy chair about 10 feet from the woodstove? Yes indeed. zzzzzz.

relating to the pieces of wood as you toss them into the fire....you know each tree you fell, cut up, split and stacked.

v8titan said:
Wait until you get to the point where your wood pile starts to become suplemental to your heating bill in the winter $$$$$. You will really fall in love with it then.

Tom

Supplemental? How about, sole source of heat? It's not just love, it's survival.

wood pile

I too have to admit I enjoy cutting it,splitting it,and my Lady stacks it.For her it has to be just right.Today I split up a bunch of cherry and enjoyed the aroma,called over Nanc and she enjoyed it too! My goal is the have plenty of wood just in case this bird flu comes.I won't have to worry about a propane delivery!Fact just got filled up, used 250 gal. in two winters.My wood pile is 145 feet long,5 feet high,two stacks 32 inches deep.About 14 cord.I have room for about 10 more pickup loads.I'll get them this week.Take a look at my pride and joy!
Ed:chainsaw:

:heart: I understand! I walk around my wood stacks at night after everyone else has gone to sleep, knocking here and there, making sure its warm and dry, sometimes having a cigy since the wife won't know about it:hmm3grin2orange:

That's pretty impressive! Is that your version of a stump fence? :rock:

newenglandstumpfence.jpg

Taylor

She'll smell it on you and your clothes, dude! It will be there when she wakes up!

Unless she smoked long enough herself that she wrecked her sense of smell.

BlueRidgeMark said:
Supplemental? How about, sole source of heat? It's not just love, it's survival.

Sometimes I forget that there are full time wood heat folks out there. For me, I cut my heating bill in half using my wood stove. It amounts to quite a few $$$ since I am heating about 3000 sq. ft.

Tom

More Wood !!!!!

I've been cutting and splitting some more wood this year. I figure I got at least 8 ricks. Too bad I don't heat with wood. I've sold a little as Campfire Wood and some friends say they want to buy some. I need to get to burning it. There's more I can get from a dozer pile near me. I don't need it, but I just got to get it!:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Wood Pile ????

Whew. This is a dirty secret: we LOVE our wood piles. We lurk around them at any hour, thumping, viewing behind walls, touching, you name it, we do it.
This could be subject to prosecution, or at least psychiatric help:confused: .
Gee, I'll even stand back while stacking to sneak a peak at the newly formed pile in the woodshed. HELP :dizzy: :dizzy: !!
Damn--drive in, park, look, and look some more.
Just wait 'til you don't use ANY heating fuel, joining the oh so self-righteous among us who heat with all wood 24/7: then it gets real serious. The butts are now in a pile waiting for stacking into those lovely lovely orderly stacks. :jawdrop:
Now we can break into song:
"....I'm a lumberjack, and I'm OK......" :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Relief!!!!!

I thought I was the only one to do this!!!! Sometimes my wife catches me staring @ the pile for a few minutes at a time and yells to me that I'm nuts....she just doesn't get it.....till winter when she's toasty warm by the fire.

Back