I Love my Wood Pile??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any of you boys still cuttin? I'm doing some, but its not so fun when its 90 out...Craig

Sure. I did 2 loads this week before the temps went down. Cut split and stacked in the shed. I'm about half done for this year. No worse cutting wood than making hay in the heat. Both make the beer taste better too.

I brought in a full tandem load of beech/ash/red oak firewood

and I have another tandem load of beech sawlogs to bring home

Love the smell of that red oak, right after its split, and the color is amazing too.

An update:

6 cords cut and split and stacked

and probably at least another cord or two to cut and split still.

So, it's OK to admit that I sniff my firewood? When the woodshed is half full, I'll sit in there and have a beer.

Some of these piles are quite impressive!

As far as personal use goes, how far ahead are some of you guys with your wood cutting? I've got this years and next years all split and stacked. (I burn 4 to 5 cords a year). Today I was working on the wood for the 2009-2010 season. I'm a little bit ahead of where I normally am due to a couple of good scores of free wood. I always have the coming winters' wood done well before this, and I would normally be working on the following years about now. I always like to stay ahead.

On the other side of the coin, you'd be surprised at the amount of people who come in the store towards the fall to get their saw going cause it's getting cold and they have to START cutting. Last year during the winter we had a couple come in with a saw that wasn't oiling. I was starting to fill out the repair tag when they said they had about 8 pieces left to get them through the night. Told 'em to go grab a cup of coffee while I put in a new oil drive gear.

About 10 years ago I called up a buddy of mine to say hello. His wife answered the phone and said "he's out trying to find some wood" It was the middle of winter and there was more than a foot of snow on the ground. I Already had my wood in for the night, but I flipped on the light in my woodshed and went out and got another arm load anyway.

Yep, I never did understand the people who wait unil they are about out, or out altogether before doing something about it.

My regular customer who always takes two cords is on the edge of freezing this winter. He has always been slow to pay but this year he is way behind. He stopped last week to drop off $60 on account but that still leaves him $65. I have been planning to cut him off anyhow as my source of wood is about worked out and I have nothing on the string for he future yet.

Harry K

Yep, I never did understand the people who wait unil they are about out, or out altogether before doing something about it.

My regular customer who always takes two cords is on the edge of freezing this winter. He has always been slow to pay but this year he is way behind. He stopped last week to drop off $60 on account but that still leaves him $65. I have been planning to cut him off anyhow as my source of wood is about worked out and I have nothing on the string for he future yet.

Harry K

Nearly all of my customers that sell wood tell similar stories about people who run out. Calling during snow storms, 10:00 at night, on Christmas day. It's amazing.

Stop Whining

Hey, this thread is about having Piles Addiction :censored: , not about your oh-so-dumb customers :jawdrop: . It's those damned homeowners again.
C'mon, where the H would you fools be without those O.S.D. people ??? Bless capitalism: you eat your young then whine that they give you heartburn. Love it. :confused:
And now we have a new addiction/compulsion: getting the wood in 10 years out. Hubris beware.

I plan to still cut some more ash trees, but I have enough rounds to split to give me and my maul a workout for about another month! I don't think I have a chainsaw addiction, I have a wood cutting addiction, I just need a few chainsaws to feed my addiction. And the splitting is just a means of anger management. A couple of cold beers and splitting open some nice red oak and your troubles seem smaller.

I've stopped cutting until I get what I have piled up stacked. I had to rearrange the old stuff so I didn't block it in. I've got that done and about 1/4 of the new stuff stacked. I don't like stacking nearly so much as cutting, but..... do one and you have to do the other too I suppose.

Ian

Nearly all of my customers that sell wood tell similar stories about people who run out. Calling during snow storms, 10:00 at night, on Christmas day. It's amazing.

I delivered wood on Christmas day last winter, 5 loads to be exact.... although it was $100 a load extra people paid it... lord knows for the last 5 years I was never home on Christmas cause it always snowed and I had to be out plowing.... no snow this year.:laugh:

The Kid

The kid always asks me: "How come you have so much wood?"

I reply: "Kid, you can't have TOO much wood."

I love seeing my stack of wood piled up...it's even better that it has been all FREE!!!

I just bought my house in Feb and even before I bought it I had a pickup truck load of rounds ready to dump off in the yard...thats actualy the first thing i did after buying the house:)

Need to get what i have cut/split/stacked before i drag any more home.

Stew

wood pile for customers--my winter supply is out back---this one is mixed green ash, hackberry, american elm, red elm, cottonwood, mulberry, black walnut, spruce, silver maple and sugar maple---$85 to fill a full sized pickup box

And I thought I was the only one that was nuts about wood piles!:dizzy:
I have 7 cords ready to burn for the next 2 seasons, and told the wife I was done scrounging for the year. She said "yeah right!" Now I'm getting the itch for more wood, since my new wood hauling trailer is almost built. Guess she was right but hey, I have to try the new trailer it out don't I?

Temps been running in the 90s all week (and will continue), I don't need more wood but I love being out there so I am going out every few days just to clear brush. Finished one area yesterday with a huge brush pile (about 15ft diameter and 8 ft high. Just gotta be doing something. At least it will allow me to fall a couple trees out into his grain field after harvest. Will add to my stash (around 30 cord now) then.

Harry K

i have been busy myself. i had these 8 huge rounds i wanted to split by hand just to see if i could still do it (43yrs old)
i got them done! here are a couple pics....

i have been busy myself. i had these 8 huge rounds i wanted to split by hand just to see if i could still do it (43yrs old)
i got them done! here are a couple pics....

Is it just me or do those dogs look like black bears.

Thats a big a$$ tree.

This is an interesting thread, I've been enjoying it. Anybody ever seen this method below? You start in the middle laying down a spiral layer, and keep spiraling up and out.
woodpile1.jpg

woodpile2.jpg

Back