I Love my Wood Pile??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a Holz Hausen. I built a couple last year, but in the middle I stacked splits up and down, and then the outside was stacked horizontal. It's supposed to aid in drying by causing a chimney effect. It dried well but I don't think it dried any better than straight rows. This year I went back to straight rows.

Looks like a Holz Hausen. I built a couple last year, but in the middle I stacked splits up and down, and then the outside was stacked horizontal. It's supposed to aid in drying by causing a chimney effect. It dried well but I don't think it dried any better than straight rows. This year I went back to straight rows.

Well that makes sense then, because I was told this way of stacking had German origins. I didn't know if that was true or not, but now you are the second person that had sortof confirmed that for me.

OK, I Give Up

I hoped that this thread would die.....then the Holz Hausen crowd invades.
That is not a "wood pile"; it is a Holz Hausen :rockn: . You have to WALK AROUND it to leer and drool. No German jokes please.:(
So, I give up looking at the butt pile of bucked up wood cut and piled last winter. Now I'll have to start the process of spliting and stacking months early in order to reach the goal of DA PILES. :rock: . Months early.
It is an addiction that must be fulfilled.:givebeer:

Woodshop, if that gas beside your stack was used appropriately, you have a dandy of a marshmellow roast there. Just light the whole thing

On a serious note, I split some red cedar (juniper) for kindling yesterday, best thing you ever smelt...

Craig

Woodshop, if that gas beside your stack was used appropriately, you have a dandy of a marshmellow roast there. Just light the whole thing

On a serious note, I split some red cedar (juniper) for kindling yesterday, best thing you ever smelt...

Craig

...nothing better than working redcedar in the basement shop and having that cedar closet smell throughout house. Nobody complains.

my pile o'wood

I'm new to the site and enjoyed see'in a few other cool wood piles. I have a 6' by 4' long fireplace so i need the long logs on the right. hope someone enjoys the photo as much as i enjoyed the other photos. cheers.

and yes, i'm 29 and did split it all by hand. i just have so much fun doin it!!!

I'm new to the site and enjoyed see'in a few other cool wood piles. I have a 6' by 4' long fireplace so i need the long logs on the right. hope someone enjoys the photo as much as i enjoyed the other photos. cheers.

and yes, i'm 29 and did split it all by hand. i just have so much fun doin it!!!

You, my friend, need a woodsplitter !!

Woodsplitters are over rated. Most of the stuff i split is between 8-20 inch, Mostly red oak and ash, (straight grains) I can move through that just as fast, if not faster with a maul or wedge than a splitter could. Splitters definatly have a purpose for tangly, knotted stuff and huge pieces, but I like the speed, the excerisize and then moral satisfaction doing it by hand provides. Although I am 17....

Woodsplitters are over rated. Most of the stuff i split is between 8-20 inch, Mostly red oak and ash, (straight grains) I can move through that just as fast, if not faster with a maul or wedge than a splitter could. Splitters definatly have a purpose for tangly, knotted stuff and huge pieces, but I like the speed, the excerisize and then moral satisfaction doing it by hand provides. Although I am 17....

Whipper-snapper

Just joking. I'm almost old enough to be your dad (32) but I too love going out and bustin up the rounds...I find it pretty theraputic. Yoga? No thanks. Give me a cold beer, a 16 lb. monster-maul and a bunch of big red oak rounds and I am in my happy place. The 3 year old Elm rounds I have populating my yard?...screw it...you can have em. I'll need dynamite, not a splitter for those SOB's.

Love my my woodpiles I've got piles of logs,blocks,split wood,even bad saw cants from my buddies mill,sell about 100 or so cord of hardwood a year,and save all the crap wood from the jobs that I used to bury in the woods to heat my house,shop and my hot water with in in my central boiler :clap: my sole source of heat too!
I'd take some pics but I gotta go and :cheers: drink some beer and hang with the wood now:givebeer:

Nice! I'd like to see a pic of the fireplace!

Wismer, you're echoing something I've believed for some time. By the time you include fuel, maintenance, and noise, I'd much rather use a maul and think it is faster in the long run. And there's nothing like bustin' up some wood to relieve stress from work. I'm heading out shortly to finish a stack. What I didn't like about using my splitter was bending over constantly. And when the going gets tough, I get out the chainsaw.

FYI - I got into some sour cherry that was pretty tough to split until I realized the bark was holding it together. That stuff just wouldn't tear.
A splitter would have helped but I just slotted the bark in several spots with the 361 and that did the trick.

Whipper-snapper

Just joking. I'm almost old enough to be your dad (32) but I too love going out and bustin up the rounds...I find it pretty theraputic. Yoga? No thanks. Give me a cold beer, a 16 lb. monster-maul and a bunch of big red oak rounds and I am in my happy place. The 3 year old Elm rounds I have populating my yard?...screw it...you can have em. I'll need dynamite, not a splitter for those SOB's.

I used to be like you guys til I ripped one of my dics in my back. Thought I was invinsible. Be careful and don't over due it.

I used to be like you guys til I ripped one of my dics in my back.

The only thing more disturbing than the fact that you have a dic in your back is that you apparently have more than one. :hmm3grin2orange:

Ian

Last edited:
Thanks for nothing Haywood, how the heck am I supposed to swing a maul when I can't stop laughing?

Jimfound - I have a bunch of elm rounds too that i have given up on... well not true actually i still have a wedge stuck in one of them that i have to get out... never leave a man behind

That elm is going for stumps to sit on around the fire now.

Just yanking yer chain... :) I thought I'd killed the thread there for a day or so... :dizzy:

Too bad about your back. I know 2 people that have had/are getting serious back surgery, one a month or so ago and one next week. The one last month was told that he had a 30% chance of improvement, 30% chance of getting worse and a 40% of no change. He is looking at a 6 month recovery and his wife had to quit her job to take care of him. They'll have to live on his long term disability insurance. He was losing the use of his left arm because of a pinched nerve in his neck so there was really no other recourse.

The fellow that is going under the knife next week was told that there was a possibility that if it didn't go well that he could end up in a wheelchair. Again, no recourse other than living out the rest of his life on narcotic pain killers and eventually he'd rupture what was bulging and he'd have to get the surgery anyway but under worse circumstances. :(

Ian

Last edited:
It's 2:00am and was out sitting on the deck having a few cool ones and enjoying the smell coming from my wood pile. It's 80% pine smells like those little tree air fresheners.But it's funny how you remember all those fire wood outings. Seeing some moose or elk and wild horses or maybe catching a glimpse of a mountain lion.

Latest posts

Back