I love that look!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rms61moparman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A guy I work with lost a 36" maple in the recent ice storm. He limbed it out with a MS180 and the logs have been laying in the yard for the last month. I asked him what he was going to do with them and found out he does wood turning for a hobby/extra income.
He said he wanted to get them split into 36" long quarters but had no idea how to load and haul them or who could saw them. I told him I had a saw that would probably do it right there and he looked at me as if I had horns growing out of my head.
He told me I was welcome to try but you could tell he was QUITE skeptical.
I went over to his house today with my 6401/7901 and when the chips started flying his jaw hit the ground.
After I got the first three or four sections bucked up I shut the saw down and he couldn't say enough about that saw.
I rolled the sections around where I would have room to maneuver and said you haven't seen anything yet. I asked him if he wanted to get a rake and a couple of bags for the noodles. He looked at me quite puzzled and said "NOODLES?".
I assured him it would become quite clear in just a minute.

When I started down the first one I looked up at him and I would give twenty dollars for a picture of his face. I was throwing 6"-8" noodles 15 feet behind me and that big Makita was screaming for more.
I cut almost through the first two and went to the other end to finish them up and he was still standing there with his mouth open. IT WAS GREAT!!!!!

When I finally stopped for a water break he said "I've never seen anything like that and I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it".
He couldn't get over that saw...Kept saying "Hell I never knew Makita even made a chainsaw much less one like that".

Needless to say, I left there feeling right proud of my Makita!

Noodles

Awesome! Nothing like helping a friend, having the right tool for the job, getting to drive the Makita 6401 through some good wood, and amazing the $#@% out of someone!

I don't have a Makita (but J-Red's, Husky's and Stihl's) and I'd love to round out the stable with a blue screamer.

Any pics of the event?

Thanks for sharing the experience.:)

Gongrats on the :jawdrop:

I always like it when you get around non CAD people. I will pull out my saw with the 28" bar and they are like wow what the hell is that. I tell them that I have a bigger bar for it and they can't understand why. Later I get a call to cut some big wood for someone. They didn't know anyone who could do it.
It is a wonderfull feeling when people just step away in awe. Or when they talk about saw-dust and you just laugh. It is wood chips or noodles, if I am making dust I need to sharpen my chain!:greenchainsaw:

And people say that men can't get a warm fuzzy feeling inside!

I love doing chainsaw chores for people and seeing their amazement when they see what a real saw can do! Most HO's think the biggest saws out there are the biggest ones that Lowes/HD sells.

I like it when friends/family call you up cause they know you're afflicted and say "I got this tree that fell down and so and so said you had a saw that could cut it."

"well how big is it???"

"it's the biggest tree in the whole county must be at least 5 feet across"

So you show up armed to the teeth with the "big saw" and find some poor little scrawny 26"er that you packed up the 084 for. :dizzy:

Most folks consider a 20" bar "big" :laugh:

A friend of mine asked me if I had a monster saw for sell. I asked him how big. He told me he wanted a huge saw.

Oh course I let him try out my 3120xp. I told him that they still come bigger than that.

After that he asked me if I had a nice little wood saw about 50cc's.

I got to cut this big beech up for firewood cos the farmer whose land its on said he couldnt do anything with it........my Makita 7901 knew what to do! :greenchainsaw: :)

DSC00058.jpg

I like when people think your going to take a whole day to cut up a tree and 30 mins later its all done! And they are blinded with sweat trying to keep up taking the blocks away lol

Recent ice storm here, groups of church folks with their "saws" went around cleaning up everyone's place. I was already worn out from a week of cleaning up my own place and my folks. I tagged along to help drag brush for a few hours. There were people there with no idea what a chainsaw was, let alone how to run one. After about 1 1/2hr I went back home and got my 290 w/20" bar, and a Homelite XL. As I'm getting the saw out a guy come up and says, hey you got two saws, that red one looks just right for me....Homelite or not, you ain't stickin' my saw in the dirt dude. I threw on my old nasty chaps and tell him to come on, he won't be able to drag the limbs off fast enough. Black oak 20-24" dbh. That 290 was chunkin' out the chips, his eyes were big as half dollars. The whole neighborhood could hear it. Had the whole thing bucked and stacked in 45 min. I was just getting warmed up about 1 p.m. By that time everyone else just left their saws in the truck and dragged brush. Next Sunday morning I walk in the Church building, everybody looking at me with that 'notice something different' look....lady comes up and says that big ole saw made her husbands look like a little weiny saw....I thought to my self.....you oughta see the 361!!!

Latest posts

Back