I made a video of my splitter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genesis5521

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score

This is a 15 minute video on how I process my firewood using a Stihl MS290 Farm Boss chainsaw and a Ryobi 4 ton electric splitter. Given the type of wood I gather, I couldn't split it any faster with any conventional hydraulic log splitter, no matter how big. Now a kinetic splitter would run circles around me, but I can't justify its cost. Don't let the Ryobi's diminutive size and tonnage fool you. Unless you're constantly splitting big gnarly rounds, the Ryobi is more than adequate. It's inexpensive (compared to hydraulic splitters), cheap to operate, quiet, easily maneuverable, and emits no fumes. There are other electric splitter on the market which I'm sure are just as good. But I can only attest to what I actually use and have experience with. Conventional gas powered hydraulic splitters start at around $1000 and go to over $10,000. They have their place. I'm just showing you what works for me and giving you some options. Every one of my friends who needed a splitter, bought a Ryobi after trying mine. I should get a commission from Ryobi and Home Depot, but that ain't gonna happen. Making firewood is a hard, physically demanding labor of love, which can significantly reduce, or entirely eliminate, your heating costs. After the initial investment in a chainsaw and splitter, there is a small, ongoing cost associated with making firewood, but it's negligible. Heck, you could do it all with a chopping axe and splitting maul. And while virtually everyone now uses a chainsaw to cut trees, a very few still do split with a splitting maul. I save approximately $1500 a year in LP gas. I've had my wood burning stove for 8 years, so I've saved $12,000.

Don <><

Last edited:
It sure is nice that you have a great partner in your wood chores. Time goes a lot faster when you have someone to talk and spend
time with. Bob

Don,

Thanks for posting that video. It's a really nice setup and I'm going to try to replicate the same thing. These little electric splitters are great, I just split a half cord with my lowe's task force 5 ton. I don't consider it that slow and the fact that I don't annoy the neighbours with a motor running all afternoon is a major bonus.

Two mods are needed though, get it up higher off the ground (your setup looks great for that) and single hand operation (I'm going to modify the on/off switch to be a foot operated switch).

Thanks,

Berardino

I'm going to be 15 minutes later than planned to get out and cut. But it was worth it. Very nice video. I always like seeing what works for other people and am willing to try other ideas.

im looking at buying one of these electric log splitters for my parents, seem as though they don't make the Ryobi anymore, none of the stores have them and I can't seem to find them online.

Don, when did you buy yours and how long ago were your friends buying them?

Great video Don!

I also enjoyed your other threads about woodsplitters and carts. Many of us fellow wood burners are going through the same thought processes as you. How do we handle the firewood more efficiently without busting the bank or our backs.

Do you really stack all the rounds in your garage first, before splitting, or was that just for the video?
If you loaded your sloped log table directly from the back of your truck, you would handle the rounds one less time.

im looking at buying one of these electric log splitters for my parents, seem as though they don't make the Ryobi anymore, none of the stores have them and I can't seem to find them online.

Don, when did you buy yours and how long ago were your friends buying them?

Hi ss~zoso:

You'll find Ryobi stuff only at Home Depot. I paid $299 for mine 8 years ago, and they're still the same price today.
Here's a link to them at home depot.

4-Ton Electric Log Splitter-RY49701 at The Home Depot

Don <><

attachment.php

Great video Don!

I also enjoyed your other threads about woodsplitters and carts. Many of us fellow wood burners are going through the same thought processes as you. How do we handle the firewood more efficiently without busting the bank or our backs.

Do you really stack all the rounds in your garage first, before splitting, or was that just for the video?
If you loaded your sloped log table directly from the back of your truck, you would handle the rounds one less time.

Hi Airwolf:

Ya. I have to stack the rounds in my pole barn just to get them out of my truck. I wish I could go right from the truck to the table, but the table isn't big enough to hold a face cord of rounds. Uhm? Now ya got me thinking (and that can be dangerous) about a much bigger table. After spending time in the woods and carrying all those rounds back to my truck, 1 by 1, I'm pretty pooped when I get home. I collect wood when the weather is nice, and split inside when it's not. But ya got me thinking about some "improvements" to my system. Thanks !

Don <><

attachment.php

Last edited:
Don, nice, informative video. I'll rep ya if the system will let me. It looks like you have it set up pretty well for your system.

A couple suggestions to make it even nicer for you. First, build another small table to put to your right/behind you and set the splits that come off your side and need to be resplit on, rather than throwing them back across the splitter and on top of the other rounds. Second, measure the diameter of the ram on that splitter, and go to a farm machinery store and ask for some cylinder depth stops to fit it. That will solve waiting for the ram to come back forward to the split or using another block. They're just half moon shaped pieces of aluminum with spring clips to hold them together that keep the cylinder from retracting all the way.

Also, it would be easier to resize that load of wood pic smaller and make it your signature pic than to upload it every time like it looks like you're doing now. PM me if you need help with it, it's been a while since I had a pic in my signature and I forget exactly what needs to be done, but I can refresh my memory if needed.

Don, nice, informative video. I'll rep ya if the system will let me. It looks like you have it set up pretty well for your system.

A couple suggestions to make it even nicer for you. First, build another small table to put to your right/behind you and set the splits that come off your side and need to be resplit on, rather than throwing them back across the splitter and on top of the other rounds. Second, measure the diameter of the ram on that splitter, and go to a farm machinery store and ask for some cylinder depth stops to fit it. That will solve waiting for the ram to come back forward to the split or using another block. They're just half moon shaped pieces of aluminum with spring clips to hold them together that keep the cylinder from retracting all the way.

Also, it would be easier to resize that load of wood pic smaller and make it your signature pic than to upload it every time like it looks like you're doing now. PM me if you need help with it, it's been a while since I had a pic in my signature and I forget exactly what needs to be done, but I can refresh my memory if needed.

Thanks Steve. I'm definitely gonna check in to the cylinder depth stops. I might be able to jury rig something along those lines. Thanks for the info.

Don <><

One of the best produced videos I've ever seen.

Most important is that you have a system that not only works well for you but takes the drudgery out your labors.

Woot! Big fun man and nice setup! As soon as you get your "get the logs out without carrying them" figured out, you'll be cooking with...wood!

Hey, how do those ryobis work anyway, is that a worm gear drive?

And good idea, cut twice as much as you use every year. Ain't a one of us getting any younger!

You have much better insulation than me. I use as much wood, in only half the space, down here in Georgia.

Latest posts

Back