I must have that stupid look about me.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my experience you need to find the right scrap yard. If they treat you like crap, forget it. Just walk away. If they treat you like a customer, that's different. I have one yard I went to that is famous or changing prices. I found an old Jeep I needed and a disc plow. The agreed on price was $400.00 for both. Next day I show up with the trailer and the price has jumped to $500.00 for the Jeep and $250.00 for the plow. Screw that. A year later I go back looking for some expanded metal screening. Find a nice hunk under a bunch of other stuff, offer $20.00, far more than the scrap value. Agree on the sale, tells me to come back tomorrow- I should have known better. I come back the next day, he didn't have a chance to get it unburied. This goes on for 2 weeks. Last time I was there everything in the pile was gone. He accuses me of not showing up like I said I would!

The world is full is idiots and morons. This guy is President of the club!

After reading over your story twice, i've come to the realization that you got swindled!..hoodwinked, duped, taken for a ride. That's beyond a**hole, he knew what he was doing. He knew that fixing his saw was going to cost you money and that you'd do it expecting him to return the gesture by giving you a good saw.

I guess it's better that you laughed about it than the way i would have felt about it, because my blood would have been boiling.

I think you should go back in a few weeks and ask if he's got any saws. Find some good ones, maybe two or three and ask how much. Hopefully he will come up with a nice round number in the neighborhood of 50 bucks and say good deal, these should cover the 60 dollars i spent on fixing your saw.

Before you agreed to work on his saw, you would've been wise to clarify that you expected him to offer to you a chance at the better quality saws in exchange for the work.

Based on your post (yes, as always, both sides of the story would be best), he & his son come across as a$$holes.

Come on Chris, are you serious? You been chewing on anal sandwich?

Aussie1, sometimes I'm a bit slow, I don't understand your post :confused:.

ya shoulda turned around and pulled the starter side off dropped the pos in the dirt and left...gratitude is an imaginary emotion, and diplomacy is the art of stepping on the bastards toes until he apologizes...

I tend to not put up with crap like that much.

Al, it pained me to read this thread. You are a good man, and handled the situation better than I. They dont deserve you as a customer, and I hope you find someone that does.

I'm dumbfounded!! I can't believe that these turds would treat you like that!

Al.....Kudos to you for keeping your cool, but I agree with others here...I don't think I would ever darken their doorway after that BS!

Maybe it's a scrap yard thing.....I asked out local scrap guy if he would throw saw carcasses aside for me to buy from him and he said he would, but I have been showing up every couple weeks (for about six months) and asking if he's got any and the answer has been "Nope haven't seen any yet". :dizzy:

I'm dumbfounded!! I can't believe that these turds would treat you like that!

Al.....Kudos to you for keeping your cool, but I agree with others here...I don't think I would ever darken their doorway after that BS!

Maybe it's a scrap yard thing.....I asked out local scrap guy if he would throw saw carcasses aside for me to buy from him and he said he would, but I have been showing up every couple weeks (for about six months) and asking if he's got any and the answer has been "Nope haven't seen any yet". :dizzy:

It appears that scrap yards like to do one thing..scrap. I sold a big bunch of old car parts and other scrap to our local scrap yard. I told the man that waited on me that I had a good Chevrolet transmission in with the stuff. He replied, "Not when I get done with it!"

The thing I hate about scrappers, and this is covering most of them... and is entirely true... they scrap perfectly good stuff. That really disturbs me. I've heard of nice classic cars, trucks, tractors, etc. scrapped and sent off to China to be turned into ####ty products. :angry:

The thing I hate about scrappers, and this is covering most of them... and is entirely true... they scrap perfectly good stuff. That really disturbs me. I've heard of nice classic cars, trucks, tractors, etc. scrapped and sent off to China to be turned into ####ty products. :angry:

Scrappers scrap scrap, loggers log logs, what is your point?

Latest posts

Back