I need a bigger saw. 357xp or 372xp.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read those specs all day long Ben, we have 44s and 46s in the truck everyday, trust me, the 46 is a better saw. In fact the 44s don't come out any more unless the 46s are dull or something.
I can't speak for the 7900. They seem interesting though. There is a dealer up the road about 30 miles, maybe I'll see if I can try one.

Originally posted by bwalker
A 372 can be had for $486 from this address. http://catalog.getsaws.com/viewProduct.cfm?item_id=667537
The 372 is a great saw, but regardless of what people here say it will not pull a bar of over 24" in hardwood very well. It really rips with a 20".

Yep, I got my 346 from those guys...that current 372 special is awesome.

Maybe stock the 372 likes a short bar. But today, I was running my Walkerized 372 with a 32 inch bar, and 8 pin sprocket...as I had neglected to put the 7 pin on when I switched to the long bar. I was cutting large elm, and later huge fir. She pulled it with nary a whimper.

I would have been running my 36" equipped 066, but it needs a new bar. And I was too busy to switch it over to a shorter 32 bar I have, which is .404.

Originally posted by Andyshine77
So how well does a stock 372 pull a 24"bar in hardwood?

Fine. I'd say this is a great combination.
Twenty four inches is the upper limit for this saw. If you want to run a bar any longer on a regular basis, you need to highly modify it or go to a bigger saw. Same goes for the 460.

I've never a 24" bar on my 372 but I'am sure it will handle one no problem.

rbtree was running a geared up 372 with a 32" bar and had no problem which should tell you a little about this saw,even though his was modified.

As for as hardwood is concerned it varies.If it's green no problem.If the wood has been down for awhile and dried the bar will tend to get hotter in the cut.There is plenty of adjustment with the 372 oiler to compensate for dead wood cuts.

Stock out of the box I don't think you can do better for the money.In fact you can spend more and end up with less a saw if you want to purchase pro Stihl junk.

Rick

When I first got into the tree business I worked for a guy that his big saw was a 371(same saw as 372 just older) husky with a 32''b/c. It was slow going in hardwood with that size bar, in hard wood with a stock 372 20'' is all I like. My 460 stihl is stock execpt for the gutted muffler and it pulls a 24'' bar all day in oak.

If you are going to run a 372xp with a 24" bar in hardwoods, I suggest you at least open up the muffler. The saw really responds well to this and youll have the power you need. If not youll probably want to stick to about a 20" bar.

Back