I need firewood!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damato333

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I live about an hour outside of Philadelphia and I have been flirting with the idea of buying a tri axle load of logs. I never thought I would resort to buying wood but trying to bribe the drivers of tree service companies hasn't worked as well as I hoped it would. I was wondering if anyone can suggest some companies that sell logs by the truck load. I was also wondering if anyone can give me the average price and how many cords the average truck holds.

Just to give you an idea on prices, I'm in Northeast Wisconsin. I can buy a truckload (12 cords) of 8 foot hardwood logs for $90 a cord, delivered and stacked.

Don

I would imagine it comes either a 48-53' trailer (8' logs sideways on a trailer 4 feet high 48 foot long =12 cords)or the standard log truck of WI, a tandam or triaxle with a pup trailer of equal size

Any company that is selling logs, will have a crane on their truck. Right? Cause I would have no way of getting the wood off the truck.

Depends on the wood

A tri-ax grapple truck load usually runs close to 8 cord if the wood is straight. If they load bent and twisted, or stuff with limbs then it doesn't pack as tight. The type / species of wood will be determined by the job site the driver pulls from. Most grapple truck deliveries, at least around here, are guaranteed to finish out at 7 cord minimum. Pricing will vary a bit mostly dependent on how far the wood gets trucked, but pricing in this area varies from $750 to $800 per load.

Also you need a good, flat area for the driver to get the truck into and unload. In talking to the seller I get my loads from, lot of people order loads and wind up with them deposited by the side of the road or in the driveway because there's no way to maneuver the truck where they want it, let alone swing a 16 foot piece of tree length.

Take Care

Out of curiousity, what kind of would is it mixed, or all oak etc....

8' long, mixed hardwood logs. Nothing over 12" in diameter, no junk wood, and no gnarly stuff. Just good straight logs. They had a crane on the truck. Driver laid down a bunch of logs to make railroad tracks, and set the rest of the load on these tracks. Made bucking a whole lot easier. I bucked that whole load with a little Stihl MS170 as that was all I had back then. Piece of cake !

Don <><

attachment.php

I gather from your description you want to do your own bucking and splitting. There are plenty of suppliers here about 1 hour nw of Phl in the Chester/Berks county area. Obviously this kind of delivery would not likely be ready to burn this year. Are you opposed to the higher priced cut to length? Do you have capacity to pick up your own in pick-up or trailer loads? I know there is pricing flexibility depending on what you can do for yourself.

I gather from your description you want to do your own bucking and splitting. There are plenty of suppliers here about 1 hour nw of Phl in the Chester/Berks county area. Obviously this kind of delivery would not likely be ready to burn this year. Are you opposed to the higher priced cut to length? Do you have capacity to pick up your own in pick-up or trailer loads? I know there is pricing flexibility depending on what you can do for yourself.

I'll do the bucking and splitting. I do not want this wood for this year. I'm just trying to get ahead for next year. I don't want cut to length cause this is making feel sick just having to pay for wood. I don't want to spend any more than I have to. I don't have that capability of picking the wood up myself.

Don't give up yet!

Man, keep working the phone some more. try sawmills and pro firewood guys, see if you can score slabs or off the wall end cuts and crotches, etc for free or real cheap.

You have to follow the scroungers creed! which is...I fergit, but it is something like "There's always free wood out there, ya just got to go find it"!

And how about your local town/county maintenance guys? they have to clear wood. and I've read here, golf courses have to do that, too.

Here's one, got any local farm and feed stores where they have a classifieds bulletin board? Post one of your own "will help cut and clear fencelines and ditches". Heck, you might could get *paid* to go get wood. Post that up on your local craigslist as well, in the "farm+garden" classification.

Truck load

I live about an hour outside of Philadelphia and I have been flirting with the idea of buying a tri axle load of logs. I never thought I would resort to buying wood but trying to bribe the drivers of tree service companies hasn't worked as well as I hoped it would. I was wondering if anyone can suggest some companies that sell logs by the truck load. I was also wondering if anyone can give me the average price and how many cords the average truck holds.[/QU Where I live a tandem truck holds about 21 to 22 ranks delivered for $275.00 by check. $200.00 by cash. The logs are 23 inchs thru down to 16 feet long.

12 cords

12 cords is a heck of a bunch, big truck?
Twelve cord would be about 27 tons. The wood would be green. Plus the weight of the crane. That is one heck of a load. In my area Westvaco pays $32.00 a ton now that coal has gone up to a $102.00 a ton at the mine. Loging company's. Are clearing land like its going out of style. Westvaco buys any thing cotton wood for paper hard wood for the boilers. I have some bad chunks I can't use and can't give them away. People will take them if I deliver them to them free.

Last edited:
Well I drive a dump truck off and on and haul my wood sometimes with a tri axle When my friend the one who owns the dump trucks and excavation equip sells fire wood he splits it all and we hand stack the bed of the truck and if memory serves right we could only fit 41/2 to 5 cords on the truck That's all the way up as high as we safely can go and covering the whole bed I would like to see the tri axle dump truck that can haul 12 cords legally and safely

Below is a pic if some I hauled one day and with a tri axle and the pic doesn't show all the wood that I hauled and it never came close to 12 cords

I'm a bit WSW of you near Chalfont, perhaps it might help if when you talk to someone you mention that you know of another local guy also looking for similar (me of course), might make it MORE worth their while.

Back