I need honest opinions please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree that you are okay by telling buyer to look at pictures,ask questions,and never claimed it was more than a parts saw. Also you said it "seems" to be complete. Which to me says look closely buyer because this is a disassembled parts saw. So I think you are fine. However I might in the future stay away from statements like everything else is there because he may have allowed himself to think there was a good top end even though it clearly appeared not to have one. You want to avoid this situation. Maybe try a statement like "as is, what you see is what you get. "

FWIW I was going to buy it and I assumed it had bad top end.

Last edited:
jonseredbred said:
I thought I was getting a running saw for $125.00........................................................

And which part of California are you in exactly....

Shipping is what it is, so we are looking at a $100 parts saw and I think that's probably a fair price. If you are buying a parts saw with the intention of using specific parts, you shouls definitely be asking about their condition BEFORE you buy anything. So, imo this one is on the buyer.

That said, the description could have been better. You called it a nice and mostly complete parts saw and then listed it's problems which didn't mention the top end. So it's possible the buyer ASSumed, the top end to be good or that those listed were the only probs. But, that was his mistake, especially with the pics that were put up.

Fwiw, I think you should always list the condition of the jug/piston and if it was me in your position, I would offer him his money back, less shipping if he would ship it back in the same condition he got it in. You end up in the same position and he gets a $50 lesson on how to be a better parts saw buyer.

I have a real nice used 036 parts saw up for sale
If I was to sell same I would have removed the pot and piston from the photo. If I was a buyer looking at the photo and saw the pot and piston I would assume that both were included in the photo because they are useable. You took the time to describe the handle, air filter and muff but curiously didnt say anything about the condition of the major components of the saw.
I cast support for the buyer.
I have a real nice used 036 parts saw up for sale. It is missing is part of the handle, air filter, and the inside half of the muffler. other than that verything seems to be there. Please look at all the pics. I would like 150 plus shipping for this.
Just my 2 cents...Mark

trimmmed said:
.... I would offer him his money back, less shipping if he would ship it back in the same condition he got it in. You end up in the same position and he gets a $50 lesson on how to be a better parts saw buyer.

Boston, take it back and I'll give you $125 for it SHIPPED;)

FWIW, I've never bought, sold or traded saws over the Internet before, but I don't think you misrepresented anything with your description or photos, other than the 2-day delay in shipping.

Jacob J. said:
Pictures are a part of any description and they clearly show that the jug is OFF the saw.

I agree. The cylinder was removed for a reason, for some sort of repair. My assumption would have been that the top end was bad.

And for the umpteenth time, it was advertised as a parts saw. He listed only what was missing that would make it an incomplete saw. Add the 5 pics to that, and you have a pretty darned good description of what was being sold.

Chris B.

An interesting aside, this thread, at this point has 31 views with 30 replies.

WHO THE HELL IS SITTING ON THE FENCE!!

Let me see if i got this right. If the cylinder is off of the saw then that means that it's bunk. If the cylinder is on the saw then that means its good? Where does the picture end and the assuming start?
Mark

powelllake said:
Let me see if i got this right. If the cylinder is off of the saw then that means that it's bunk. If the cylinder is on the saw then that means its good? Where does the picture end and the assuming start?
Mark

Very good point.

Still, it costs nothing to ask about the p/c if that is something that the would-be buyer is concerned about.

In the end, since there are a couple offers to take the saw for $125, the disgruntled buyer should PM one of those guys and work something out.

in used sales it is always buyer beware. its the buyers job to ask questions. i assume he never asked if it runs, and you never said it did. it was sold as a parts saw with everything there except the muffler, handle, etc. thats exactly what he got.

Thanks for all the replys. I now realize how important describing the top end is even on a PARTS SAW. I will not make this mistake again. The member will be contacted and I will refund his money no problem, less shipping, as soon as the saw hits my doorstep.

I feel bad this had to happen like this I will take blame for not putting up a full description of each and evey part on and off of a PARTS SAW.

powelllake said:
Mark

The assumptions start when the buyer doesn't ask any specific questions, which seems to be the case here.

Chris B.

powelllake said:
Mark

I'm a total newbie but I can see it's a parts saw. Why would you buy a parts saw if you didn't know something about olds disassembled saws? Even if it did have a piston, in that condition you would have to assume that it was bad. Why do you think it was taken apart? If you buy any saw that looks like that you should assume that the top end is in sad shape. I might have hoped that it is okay, but when the piston did not arrive I would have laughed and said, "okay that answers the question"

powelllake said:
Mark

There is nothing to assume, the buyer bought a PARTS saw, which from the pictures show a disasembled saw sold as parts. My opinion is describing the saw as a parts unit means it will need to be repaired in some fashion.

gasman said:
I'm a total newbie but I can see it's a parts saw. Why would you buy a parts saw if you didn't know something about olds disassembled saws? Even if it did have a piston, in that condition you would have to assume that it was bad. Why do you think it was taken apart? If you buy any saw that looks like that you should assume that the top end is in sad shape. I might have hoped that it is okay, but when the piston did not arrive I would have laughed and said, "okay that answers the question"

The piston was shipped. It was missing a piece and the cylinder had a gouge in it.

Latest posts

Back